So - is no one watching "Westworld"

thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

So - is no one watching "Westworld"

Post by thesalmonofdoubt »

I am - and I'm enjoying it all way more than I thought I would.
Very "Nolaneque" in a way, Loving Evan Rachel Wood and Anthony Hopkins.. Scripts is tight, story is about as original a story as you could possibly tell when working with base material that's nearly as old as me .. and there's furious internet debate over what's really going on ..

all in all - seems like perfect fodder for this sort of board but I'm yet to hear it mentioned.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Re: So - is no one watching "Westworld"

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

If it's on a premium channel, I'm not watching it.
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

It's on my cable here - on "Showcase" .. which I have no idea Translates over in the States or whether its considered premium .. I think its part of the basic Cable service here at least .

My hot tip - when the seasons finished and downloads are posted .. or it comes out on BluRay - I highly recommend giving it a watch - I'm loving it!
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

I'll probably watch it on Amazon when the season ends. But yeah, it's on HBO here. I caught parts the first few episodes when they had a free weekend of HBO but I was busy and not paying a lot of attention.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

I've seen every episode. I loved the premier, then they lost me a little for a bit, but last week's episode was on point.
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

BruceSmith78 wrote:I've seen every episode. I loved the premier, then they lost me a little for a bit, but last week's episode was on point.

Last episode was awesome - but then again I thought all the other episodes were pretty awesome as well

What are your thoughts as to the multiple time line theory thing that's going around, I'm almost sure that there is two timelines based on the logo thing - the can thing .. as well as the character groupings, I'm less certain about William being the MIB But - it's also probably true, and I'm almost positive that Bernard is Arnold
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

I've been avoiding online theories because I don't want this show spoiled. I'm enjoying the mystery.

I have wondered about the timeline though, because at times it seems hosts are reset every day, and other times they go a week or two without being reset, and sometimes both appear to be happening congruently, which makes no damn sense.
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

I've been avoiding online theories because I don't want this show spoiled. I'm enjoying the mystery.
Yeah - probably the best way to go really but, I've found myself obsessed with this show and so gave into temptation.
I have wondered about the timeline though, because at times it seems hosts are reset every day, and other times they go a week or two without being reset, and sometimes both appear to be happening congruently, which makes no damn sense.
and yup - its nearly impossible to work out how this all works - seems the hosts are on individual loops that repeat on a variety of schedules but how it all co-ordinates and how long the loops go for is pretty hard to work out. Some seem to last like a day (Dolores saying G'day to dad then going into town for a shop before heading off to do painting or alternatively - go for a romp with Teddy before going back to the farm to meet with a variety of untimely ends .. other loops see Dolores going on multiple day adventures - but this is almost always sans MIB - which also makes me think that there are multiple time lines going on and the ones where Dolores has more than one day at her disposal .. seems to be in the past
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

Ok, what the fuck. How did you know Bernard was Arnold? I mean I know he was holding private conversations with Dolores and seemed to be uncovering her realization of actual conscious thought, and in retrospect after tonight's episode I guess that was either all in Dolores' head or her remembering old shit, but at the time I just thought that was Bernard tinkering around and being curious and shit, and when he was revealed to be a host I thought he was doing it at Ford's behest, because Ford is a crazy and devious motherfucker. Were there some other clues that I missed?

This show is really turning it up, by the way.
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

Hey - Haven't seen this weeks episode on account that I am travelling and in Sydney and my hotel doesn't have showcase .. which blows.

So - Guessing they have confirmed that Bernard is Arnold officially now.

There were quite a few clues I guess - the biggest one being when Ford was showing Bernard the old photo of Arnold - the photo was oddly composed with Ford and some bloke to one side of the pic and a blank space on the right - it just looked like someone was missing from the pic and them we are told that the hosts cant see anything that would cause them to question their reality - just made sense that there was something going on there
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

Guess if you liked ep9 - you musta loved 10 - Nice ending, leaves a few questions remaining but, holeee-fuck
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

Yes sir, episode 10 was fucking amazing.
Faustus5
Super Poster

Post by Faustus5 »

Finally got around to watching this and I loved it. I was stunned that they actually managed to take an obscure text about consciousness ("The Origins of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind") and make its ideas part of the plot.

Didn't buy buy the complete 180 degree morality switch with one character, though. Lazy writing there. Reminded me of the awful Anikan Skywalker to Darth Vader arc in the SW prequels.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Westworld is alright, though the premise that people wanting a healthy outlet for their worst impulses actually makes them the real monsters is kind of stupid and perhaps a bit regressive.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Faustus5
Super Poster

Post by Faustus5 »

Raxivace wrote:Westworld is alright, though the premise that people wanting a healthy outlet for their worst impulses actually makes them the real monsters is kind of stupid and perhaps a bit regressive.
GTA series and the things people willfully get up to in that game is all you need to think about.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Faustus5 wrote:GTA series and the things people willfully get up to in that game is all you need to think about.
The thing though is that Westworld tries to seriously make the argument that playing a video game like Grand Theft Auto is equivalent as actually being a murderer or rapist or whatever, which is such a bonkers theme that I can't ever be fully be on board with the show even though I do otherwise like it.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Faustus5
Super Poster

Post by Faustus5 »

Raxivace wrote:The thing though is that Westworld tries to seriously make the argument that playing a video game like Grand Theft Auto is equivalent as actually being a murderer or rapist or whatever, which is such a bonkers theme that I can't ever be fully be on board with the show even though I do otherwise like it.
I don't think they are trying to make that argument, since no one in their right mind thinks the AI citizens of Los Santos are conscious, which makes all the difference.