Rogue One

Faustus5
Super Poster

Rogue One

Post by Faustus5 »

I've been a huge Star Wars fanatic since the first. I've played the pen and paper RPG's, I still play the MMORG (The Old Republic), and I even read the set-up novel to this new movie.

Well, this was fantastic. It was dark, gritty, beautiful to look at, and well acted. Not sure where it fits in the canon in terms of quality (I'll have to wait a year or so to come down from this high), but it is definitely one of the best SW movies ever made.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Re: Rogue One

Post by Derived Absurdity »

I'm looking forward to it. Lots of people have been saying it's dark and great and different. As someone who doesn't care about Star Wars I assume I'll enjoy it.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

I found it disappointing, sadly. I agree that it was beautifully made, directed and acted, and I liked how it was so different from the usual Star Wars movie, but the story didn't engage me - too many different strands and quick cuts that took a while to become coherent, and I wasn't able to care enough about the characters to be invested in their fates. I did think it got better towards the end, and I loved how it tied together to the beginning of Ep 4, but the main takeaway of the film for me was how much better it made Ep 4 seem, after watching all the stuff that had been going on to lead up to the events of that movie. It expanded the Star Wars universe and made it seem much wider and more active with all these stories happening in the background of the main narrative.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

I liked it, but I can see where Anakin is coming from. However, in my opinion it's because the writing for the story is there, but not the characters. They weren't that intersting & beyond them getting the plans, there didn't feel like any personal stakes.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

I'm somewhat torn. I really loved aspects of it, but I didn't become quite as invested in the characters compared to the OT or the new characters in TFA. Still, very well directed, some great acting, beautiful shots, good humor, etc. I probably would rank it 4th, behind Empire, ANH and TFA but above RotJ.