Movie pet peeves

Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Movie pet peeves

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

As much as I hate talking, cell phone use, and kids that can't behave, I think I hate those who arrive after the movie starts and just stand there hoping.
beyond hope there's enough good seats for their group.

I find them standing there far more distracting than any cell phone light because my eye keeps getting drawn to it. Eat your consequences and sit the fuck down in the front
Gendo
Site Admin

Re: Movie pet peeves

Post by Gendo »

Man I thought this was going to be about in-movie let's peeves. Let's talk about that instead.

I hate it when a romantic comedy centers around a character who is engaged or involved to someone else at the start of the movie.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

It always bugs me when a couple of characters have something pressing to discuss, but they need to leave their present location first and one of them says something like, "Come on, I'll give you a ride to your apartment," and then we cut to the apartment where this very pressing discussion begins. Like what the fuck did they talk about in the car? Did they just sit in silence the whole ride? Did they just bullshit with each other when there was this very serious matter at hand?
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

I hate it when there's only a conflict in the first place because characters just won't talk to each other like regular humans. I feel like half of movies only exist because the characters keep secrets from each other for no discernible reason.

I hate it when characters talk unnaturally just to give the audience information. Like when they're talking on the phone, they repeat everything the person on the other end said before they respond just to let the audience know what's going on. It makes me feel stupid.

Kids whom the movie is trying to make cute. Kids who have a potty mouth, or who give wise life advice to the adults. Kids in general.

Strong Female Characters. Also movies where women are presented as rewards for the protagonist. Double hatred when these two tropes are mixed.

Schlubby everyday male heroes in general. I'm getting tired of the "mediocre unintelligent dude with no discernible talent or redeemable qualities inexplicably saves the world" trope. At least make it gender egalitarian.

Guns. Everything about guns. I don't know much about guns but man I seem to know a lot more about guns than Hollywood.

I also don't like it when a movie tries to excuse or downplay the terrible behavior and retrograde attitudes of its (usually male) protagonist by constantly contrasting him with the even worse behavior and attitudes of the villain(s). It's like no matter how awful the hero might be, he can be excused just because he's fighting someone who happens to be worse. The terribleness of the villain isn't ever used to make the hero question the same attitudes he himself has, it's just used to excuse them. I can't think of any good examples but A LOT of movies do this.

When a movie tries to present a nerd who is very clearly not actually a nerd or a homely/ugly person who is very very clearly not actually homely/ugly. It always makes me lol when a movie tries to present a teenager as uncool and loser-ish when they would obviously be normal or even popular in any real high school.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

As per the OP though: I don't like people who try to ironically distance themselves from the movie they're watching. Like, when there's a scene which is clearly supposed to be emotionally affecting, someone laughs or scoffs just to let everyone else know that he's too cool and aloof to let the movie get to him. It's like it's uncool now to be sincerely into a movie.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

That's a good list, DA.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Thank you.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

Other people at theaters - I don't like it.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

CashRules wrote:Other people - I don't like it.
^ fixed that for you
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

Thanks, I was just trying to stay on topic.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

I have one for trailers. Saying a movie is "based on an untold story". Someone had to tell the story for you to knew about it and make a movie from it. How the fuck is it untold?