OH MY GOD

Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

OH MY GOD

Post by Derived Absurdity »

Why have I not known about this??? THIS IS THE BEST TRAILER I HAVE EVER SEEN.

Oh my GOD. It is GLORIOUS.

I can't even think straight right now. Holy shit. People ACTUALLY MADE THIS MOVIE. Think about that!!
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Re: OH MY GOD

I still watch this trailer every now and then. Still amazing.
Islandmur
Global Moderator

Post by Islandmur »

It's a nice trailer and all, but I think there is a significant reason why you think it's the best trailer ever? Some information that I'm missing?
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

I'm just hoping this doesn't end up as fucked up as "The Blind Side" or come across as either a "White Savior" or "Magical Negro" story. On another note - Renee Zellweger stole somebody's face because that's not her face.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

I honestly can't tell if I'm being punked right now
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

That makes two of us!
__
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

[none]
Islandmur
Global Moderator

Post by Islandmur »

Derived Absurdity wrote:I honestly can't tell if I'm being punked right now
Is this about my answer? Cause honestly never heard of that title before you posted it.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Both you and Cash. I thought it was completely obvious that this is a spectacularly corny, condescending, racist, liberal feel-good White Savior film that would have been over-the-top in the 70s, let alone 2017. This is everything wrong with liberal white people in one trailer. It's almost precision-engineered to be as terrible as possible. If The Onion was trying to make fun of liberal feel-good White Savior films it would have produced exactly this.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Ha. Yeah I totally didn't get the sarcasm in your posts.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmbl ... -zellweger
I don't always like Stuart Heritage but when I do, I love him.
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

The fact that this film isn't going to get the same cult-level adoration as The Room is proof that the universe is unjust. There are no less than three lines of dialogue in this trailer alone that should go down in cinematic infamy.

"Very sexy what you did today."
"Hanging out with a homeless guy?"
"How was it?"
"Actually, it was kind of amazing."

That dialogue is actually transcendent.
Islandmur
Global Moderator

Post by Islandmur »

Derived Absurdity wrote:Both you and Cash. I thought it was completely obvious that this is a spectacularly corny, condescending, racist, liberal feel-good White Savior film that would have been over-the-top in the 70s, let alone 2017. This is everything wrong with liberal white people in one trailer. It's almost precision-engineered to be as terrible as possible. If The Onion was trying to make fun of liberal feel-good White Savior films it would have produced exactly this.
You should know by now I tend to say exactly what i mean, so no sarcasm or whatever was involved. I watched your trailer with no sound and it was just to me an average trailer. I thought it had special meaning to you because it might be some real story or biography that you read.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Part of me is surprised Djimon chose to be involved in this movie after this gem:

[youtube]https://youtube.com/watch?v=c-jSQD5FVxE[/youtube]

On the other hand, if the industry rarely writes properly-developed black characters, I guess you gotta take the work you can get.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

I'm not disagreeing with you but I'm not really sure how they can tell a true story other than to tell the story. That's the reason I mentioned "The Blind Side". In that movie they didn't tell the story, they told a completely different story about some mentally-handicapped homeless black kid who needed some white woman to adopt him and teach him how to play football. Michael Oher is not mentally-handicapped and Leigh Anne Tuohy didn't teach him how to play football. Since the book this particular movie is based on was written by Ron Hall, the white guy and not Denver Moore, the black guy, it may be even worse than the trailer suggests. I seriously doubt Hall's wife had dreams about a magical black man and then happened to meet the man she dreamed about before she died.
__
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

This post isn't on the right thread. Clearly, the mods have conspired to move my posts around to make me appear deranged. Clearly.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Lol alright. Somebody's playing a joke on me, or I'm actually losing my damn mind.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Cassius Clay wrote:Lol alright. Somebody's playing a joke on me, or I'm actually losing my damn mind.
Hmm, as fun as it would be to make you think you're losing your mind, I'll just say that I moved your 2 posts to the correct thread.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

Cassius Clay wrote:Part of me is surprised Djimon chose to be involved in this movie after this gem:

[youtube]https://youtube.com/watch?v=c-jSQD5FVxE[/youtube]
That was epic. I read the article before (in a course on Africa with mostly white classmates in Oregon, lol), but the video is so much better.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

Derived Absurdity wrote:Both you and Cash. I thought it was completely obvious that this is a spectacularly corny, condescending, racist, liberal feel-good White Savior film that would have been over-the-top in the 70s, let alone 2017. This is everything wrong with liberal white people in one trailer. It's almost precision-engineered to be as terrible as possible. If The Onion was trying to make fun of liberal feel-good White Savior films it would have produced exactly this.
I got exactly this from the trailer, and knew you were being sarcastic. I'm kinda surprised Cash and Mur didn't.
Islandmur
Global Moderator

Post by Islandmur »

Why would i? never heard of the thing before lol... no context to put it in.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

Well if you watched it with the volume down, I could maybe see missing that it's obvious over the top white savior cheese. Just reading DA's post I expected it to be sarcasm, and 10 seconds into the trailer any doubt was removed.
Islandmur
Global Moderator

Post by Islandmur »

Ah didn't watch with sound since I was at work lol... oh well that will teach me