A Series of Unfortunate Events (Netflix)

Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

A Series of Unfortunate Events (Netflix)

Post by Derived Absurdity »

It's okay. 5.5/10
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

Re: A Series of Unfortunate Events (Netflix)

Post by thesalmonofdoubt »

Started watching this about a week ago and really did not like it.

Not 100% sure exactly why. It looked brilliant, I mean, visually. They did a pretty amazing job of recreating the look and feel of the movie and I really enjoyed the movie.

The issue I had was that it just didn't feel authentic .. like a stand alone thing. What I saw seemed to me that they were doing their best to recreate the move at all possible costs and the results of that effort felt like I was watching some knock off rather than something that had its own existence,
Everything about it felt like an attempt at something rather than an execution of something .. It was forced quirky, Hollywood gothic .. the actors were acting like the movies actors rather than characters in a story ..

So .. I'm giving it a 4 for the visuals and absolutely nothing for anything else
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

6.7/11.8
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

thesalmonofdoubt wrote:The issue I had was that it just didn't feel authentic .. like a stand alone thing. What I saw seemed to me that they were doing their best to recreate the move at all possible costs and the results of that effort felt like I was watching some knock off rather than something that had its own existence, Everything about it felt like an attempt at something rather than an execution of something .. It was forced quirky, Hollywood gothic
That's a really good way of putting it. I've been trying to pinpoint what exactly I don't like about it and you nailed it. It feels like a cheap knockoff of itself.
Faustus5
Super Poster

Post by Faustus5 »

Just started watching it and I think I like it more than any of you. . .but this is just one episode's worth of opinion.

I think the advantage I have is that until reading this thread I had no idea there was a movie adaptation. I was just vaguely aware of the book and nothing else. So i guess I'm able to accept what I'm seeing on its own terms.
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

Post by thesalmonofdoubt »

Probably makes all the difference if you haven't seen the movie (more than read the books) simply because they seem to be attempting to recreate the movie on an episodic basis rather than interpret the books fresh.

And because I thought the movie was particularly good, the series comes off weakly derivative.. but without having seen the movie first, I might be better able to appreciate the visuals and style without the comparison colouring my views.