IMDB is closing it's message boards on Feb. 20.

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

IMDB is closing it's message boards on Feb. 20.

Post by CashRules »

Gendo may have people shouting to let them join...and he can whisper "No."
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
Boomer
Super Poster

Re: IMDB is closing it's message boards on Feb. 20.

Post by Boomer »

Wow. End of an era.
...the only people for me are the mad ones...
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

BUT WHAT ABOUT FREEDOM OF SPEECH
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

I just saw. Crazy shit. I still chat on the Video Games board, and they're all going to Reddit it looks like.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Woah... this explains the activation requests. Well, the more the merrier, unless they're trolls.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

There's a lot of negative reaction to the decision. Understandable since I don't foresee me using imdb much without the boards.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

Ok, joking aside, how is this not a bad decision? The boards were the only real reason I ever went to IMDB on a regular basis. Probably thousands of other people too. And you can ask people about stuff too. The "I Need to Know" board was really useful. And a bunch of other categories as well. That kind of sucks.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

I mean, I use IMDB all the time for stuff outside the boards; just to look up what actor is in what and such. But the boards were also a helpful place to ask questions about a move when you wanted to know something. My place for that type of thing now though is http://movies.stackexchange.com.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Oh dear god, that format is terribly organized.
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

Post by thesalmonofdoubt »

Gendo wrote:I mean, I use IMDB all the time for stuff outside the boards; just to look up what actor is in what and such. But the boards were also a helpful place to ask questions about a move when you wanted to know something. My place for that type of thing now though is http://movies.stackexchange.com.
I never use the boards for Chat but I refer to the chat boards all the time to read explanations of say Plot twists or points I may have missed .. not having the boards there is gonna be a bit of a blow.

WIll check out the Stackexchange thing and see what that looks like.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

I would like to know who at imdb thinks discussions on twitter or facebook are more positive.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

^lol yes

But I actually like this decision. It would be terrible for their business since that's what people go to the site for, but I gave up on the IMDb boards a while ago because its overflowing with trolls. It's no longer what it used to be. The boards used to be a happy place to discuss movies, but more and more it's just people calling everyone libtard cucks for liking a movie that had more than one black person in it.

I'm also hoping that this motivates a return to individual fan sites for movie discussion, because those were really great experiences for me and was something I missed when people started migrating to the IMDb boards instead.They're a lot more conducive to building community, you get much higher quality discussions, threads don't disappear after some time, and it basically provides the good parts of IMDb boards without the bad. Like this forum, mostly. The one downside would be when it comes to newer films that don't yet have a fanbase, but from experience those tend to pop up pretty fast.