Raxivace's 2017 List of Movies or (Neo-General Chat)

Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Re: Raxivace's 2017 List of Movies

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

Raxivace wrote:
Eva Yojimbo wrote:I told her before it started airing that with it being on Showtime she should probably expect more Eraserhead-Lynch than "accessible" Lynch.
Season 3 is closer to stuff like Lost Highway, Mulholland Dr., and even INLAND EMPIRE. Like it's very much post-OG Twin Peaks Lynch doing uh, Twin Peaks.

My own mother only lasted about half an hour into the new season but she didn't like the original either.
Sounds like it'll be right up my alley then, but any Lynch these days is must-view regardless of whether it's LH/MD/IE Lynch or even Straight Story Lynch (any Lynch > no Lynch).
Raxivace wrote:Huh, seems like you weren't too terribly into it either with that score. I like the only other Oshima I've seen (Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence), but if I had to give Cruel Story a number somewhere in the 6-7 range sounds about right.

This reminds me, Jared came around asking about you and that website a few months ago. Here's a link to the thread in case you missed it. Haven't seen him here since then though.
Definitely check out Death by Hanging and In the Realm of the Senses. One thing I've gotten from Oshima is that he's quite diverse, so there's no real consistency in style or subject matter. Night and Fog in Japan was also pretty good. I guess Cruel Story would be my least favorite of what I've seen.

I'll check out that thread, thanks.
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." -- Carl Jung
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: Raxivace's 2017 List of Movies or (Neo-General Chat)

Post by Raxivace »

Tbh Straight Story Lynch is kind of underrated. That's a good movie!

I'll get to those Oshimas eventually. I also have Boy (1969) on my DVR and will probably get to that one next.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

Raxivace wrote:Tbh Straight Story Lynch is kind of underrated. That's a good movie!
Oh, I absolutely agree! It was actually a 9/10 for me and I was utterly shocked that Lynch could make such a great "normal" film.
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." -- Carl Jung
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

63. Resident Evil: Vendetta (2017) -

This movie has Leon S. Kennedy get in a motorcycle chase on a highway against zombie dogs. It also features a scene where several Resident Evil characters talk about how awesome they think Breaking Bad is. Another scene has Rebecca Chambers, a character that hasn't been seen since like 2002 if you don't count the stage play (!!!!!), go from talking about how sad zombie outbreaks are to how awesome her chocolate flavored coffee is within the span of a single sentence.

It might be the best movie ever, is what I'm saying.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Eva Yojimbo wrote:
maz89 wrote:Jimbo, aren't you watching Twin Peaks Season 3?!?!
Not yet. I generally hate watching TV shows while they're airing. Prefer to wait until the season's over and then watch it (really I'd prefer to wait until the series is over, but I'll make an exception with TP).
I understand, but I sure wish that wasn't the case. Heh. There's something about the weekly wait that teaches you a thing or two about patience...

Oh f-ck that. Who am I kidding. I wish I had your restraint. [laugh]

But, no, on a serious note, I often feel that when I marathon through a gazillion episodes (like I did with Sopranos), I sometimes *think* I miss the finer nuances. And sometimes, the familiarity of one constant universe makes me kind of complacent and I don't give myself much time to self-reflect or think about the episode and just move on to the next one, with the result being that when it's all done and dusted, I end up with a vague recollection of major plot points and some visual flourishes that I liked but nothing *really* substantial enough to explain the little things I did like (or didn't like).

Maybe that's just a "me" problem, and also, what I said above doesn't mean I don't binge (hello, first 3 seasons of Breaking Bad... and recently Better Call Saul, which, btw, is pretty damn fantastic, retaining BB's penchant for memorable visuals, languid pacing, interpersonal intrigue and solid character development), but for shows that I absolutely love, I try not to* (to be fair, I've been watching BCS over the course of the last few weeks so it's not a binge as such).

*Okay, that also might be a lie because if TP was on Netflix and all episodes had been released at the same time, I'd have probably seen all of them by now. But then again, what I should do and what I end up doing are not always the same thing... so that's that.

All of this is just a long-winded way of saying: Watch Twin Peaks: The Return. NOW.
Last edited by maz89 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose"
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Eva Yojimbo wrote:
Raxivace wrote:Tbh Straight Story Lynch is kind of underrated. That's a good movie!
Oh, I absolutely agree! It was actually a 9/10 for me and I was utterly shocked that Lynch could make such a great "normal" film.
Another vote for the Straight Story! I did like how Lynch kept his dark themes buried underneath the content. Alvin's post-war depression and how it culminated with the fire that ruined his daughter's (and her children's lives) bubbles under the surface of his journey towards his brother.

I don't know what to make of the claims that say that Lynch's depiction of Alvin is actually satirical. The claim I've heard one die-hard Lynch fan insist upon is that Alvin is a stubborn, messed-up old man who refuses medicine and refuses to make amends to his lifestyle, and that Lynch presents the tale as a slice of good ol' Americana to detract from how misguided Alvin really is, in a kind of subversive hero's redemption/road trip - except in this case, it's not redemption but stupidity which propels Alvin from his home towards his brother's. While that interpretation does fit into Lynch's wheelhouse, I never thought that Lynch was anything less than sympathetic to Alvin's plight in Straight Story. [none]
Last edited by maz89 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Raxivace wrote:63. Resident Evil: Vendetta (2017) -

This movie has Leon S. Kennedy get in a motorcycle chase on a highway against zombie dogs. It also features a scene where several Resident Evil characters talk about how awesome they think Breaking Bad is. Another scene has Rebecca Chambers, a character that hasn't been seen since like 2002 if you don't count the stage play (!!!!!), go from talking about how sad zombie outbreaks are to how awesome her chocolate flavored coffee is within the span of a single sentence.

It might be the best movie ever, is what I'm saying.
[laugh]

I might just put this one on when I see my brothers as they are die-hard RE fans and would totally watch this movie with their serious face on, during which time while I'll crack stupid jokes until I'm eventually asked to leave the room.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

maz89 wrote:Better Call Saul, which, btw, is pretty damn fantastic
I love Better Call Saul. It was my number 1 pick for best show on American TV right now until Twin Peaks: James Rides Again began. In some ways I think its actually superior to Breaking Bad.
maz89 wrote:I don't know what to make of the claims that say that Lynch's depiction of Alvin is actually satirical.
I've heard those claims too and I don't buy them. It reeks of bitter nerds not believing in sincerity and trying to make movies needlessly edgelordy and grimdark- like all those "theories" of children's cartoons being about characters trapped in hell or whatever.

Death to the internet.
maz89 wrote:I might just put this one on when I see my brothers as they are die-hard RE fans and would totally watch this movie with their serious face on, during which time while I'll crack stupid jokes until I'm eventually asked to leave the room.
They're not diehard fans unless they realize Resident Evil has always been kind of dumb even since the PSX days.

That's what I like about the CGI movie trilogy (Degeneration, Damnation, and now Vendetta), is that like the games it's kind of dumb but sincere about itself in a way I find endearing. I don't find it or the games unbearably cynical in the way that something like Kung Fury is.
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

maz89 wrote:
Eva Yojimbo wrote:
maz89 wrote:Jimbo, aren't you watching Twin Peaks Season 3?!?!
Not yet. I generally hate watching TV shows while they're airing. Prefer to wait until the season's over and then watch it (really I'd prefer to wait until the series is over, but I'll make an exception with TP).
I understand, but I sure wish that wasn't the case. Heh. There's something about the weekly wait that teaches you a thing or two about patience...

Oh f-ck that. Who am I kidding. I wish I had your restraint. [laugh]

But, no, on a serious note, I often feel that when I marathon through a gazillion episodes (like I did with Sopranos), I sometimes *think* I miss the finer nuances. And sometimes, the familiarity of one constant universe makes me kind of complacent and I don't give myself much time to self-reflect or think about the episode and just move on to the next one, with the result being that when it's all done and dusted, I end up with a vague recollection of major plot points and some visual flourishes that I liked but nothing *really* substantial enough to explain the little things I did like (or didn't like).

Maybe that's just a "me" problem, and also, what I said above doesn't mean I don't binge (hello, first 3 seasons of Breaking Bad... and recently Better Call Saul, which, btw, is pretty damn fantastic, retaining BB's penchant for memorable visuals, languid pacing, interpersonal intrigue and solid character development), but for shows that I absolutely love, I try not to* (to be fair, I've been watching BCS over the course of the last few weeks so it's not a binge as such).

*Okay, that also might be a lie because if TP was on Netflix and all episodes had been released at the same time, I'd have probably seen all of them by now. But then again, what I should do and what I end up doing are not always the same thing... so that's that.

All of this is just a long-winded way of saying: Watch Twin Peaks: The Return. NOW.
I think my aversion to weekly watching goes back to my "record shows on VHS" days and the hassle it was. I hated waiting for cliffhangers to resolve, I hated all the times something went wrong and I missed an episode and had to wait for reruns, I hated all the times I got into a new show that got canceled (*cough*Firefly*cough*), I hated when they'd change times and I wouldn't know about it... it was just a pretty awful experience compared to when I started renting entire series on tape and then DVD at brick-and-mortar stars and then later from Netflix. In fact, the only weekly show I've watched in probably 10 years was Preacher, and that was mostly because I watched it with my dad, because I thought he'd dig it (knowing what I knew about the comics). Even doing the weekly thing with a show like that I still preferred the marathon method, mostly because I could dictate when/how I watched episodes and how many. I get what you mean about the tendency for them to kind of "run together" in your mind doing it that way, but I'd say there's still enough that stuck with me about The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, and even the original Twin Peaks, that I don't think watching it weekly made that much of a difference. In fact, given how much I usually (though not lately) watch/read/listen to in a week, it's often harder for me to get back into that universe after a week off.

Besides, I haven't really been in much of a TV/movie mood lately, or for a while. Not sure why... I do tend to go through a few periods of year where I lose interest in stuff and a vague feeling of dissatisfaction settles in, typically around the time the seasons change, but this one's lasted longer than most.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Eva Yojimbo wrote:I think my aversion to weekly watching goes back to my "record shows on VHS" days and the hassle it was. I hated waiting for cliffhangers to resolve, I hated all the times something went wrong and I missed an episode and had to wait for reruns, I hated all the times I got into a new show that got canceled (*cough*Firefly*cough*), I hated when they'd change times and I wouldn't know about it... it was just a pretty awful experience compared to when I started renting entire series on tape and then DVD at brick-and-mortar stars and then later from Netflix.
Haha, I actually don't have too much of an issue with waiting for cliffhangers (unless they're contrived or poorly developed - but that's a separate discussion), because it can pave the way for some insightful discussions about the merits of a single episode when considered alone, on its own strength, rather than as part of a larger narrative. To be fair, few shows deserve this kind of attention but I'd argue that the best do.

And yeah, if a show I like got cancelled and didn't get the time or space to wrap things up properly, I'd probably end up hating the experience too.
Eva Yojimbo wrote:I get what you mean about the tendency for them to kind of "run together" in your mind doing it that way, but I'd say there's still enough that stuck with me about The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, and even the original Twin Peaks, that I don't think watching it weekly made that much of a difference. In fact, given how much I usually (though not lately) watch/read/listen to in a week, it's often harder for me to get back into that universe after a week off.
Yeah, I understand that it would work for some and not so much for others.
Eva Yojimbo wrote:Besides, I haven't really been in much of a TV/movie mood lately, or for a while. Not sure why... I do tend to go through a few periods of year where I lose interest in stuff and a vague feeling of dissatisfaction settles in, typically around the time the seasons change, but this one's lasted longer than most.
Good, give some of us mortals a chance to catch up with you on your massive 10k movie count. [laugh]
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Raxivace wrote:I love Better Call Saul. It was my number 1 pick for best show on American TV right now until Twin Peaks: James Rides Again began. In some ways I think its actually superior to Breaking Bad.
It's absolutely astonishing how much of a spotlight Lynch gives to James in The Return. No one saw it coming.

Also, good to know we're aligned on BCS. Still have to see the last two episodes of Season 3. Btw, I'm worried that, at the rate they're going, Jonathan Banks might die from old age irl.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

maz89 wrote:And yeah, if a show I like got cancelled and didn't get the time or space to wrap things up properly, I'd probably end up hating the experience too.
Anytime this happens I take whatever the final episode was as legitimately the final word on the series. Like MTV of all channels did a Spider-Man series back in the day that I enjoyed that got cancelled after one season. The last episode ends with Peter Parker deciding that being a superhero is needlessly destructive and throwing his Spider-Man costume away for seemingly forever. Presumably this would have been undone in season 2, but because that never happened I think it's probably one of the legit most interesting adaptations of that character in like the last 15 years (The worst being his storyline in the obscure PS2 game Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects because seriously wtf was that).

This method is complicated by situations like Twin Peaks though, which get revived decades later.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

maz89 wrote:Also, good to know we're aligned on BCS. Still have to see the last two episodes of Season 3. Btw, I'm worried that, at the rate they're going, Jonathan Banks might die from old age irl.
Tbh his storyline in season 3 could legit work as an ending for his character in BCS.
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

maz89 wrote:
Eva Yojimbo wrote:Besides, I haven't really been in much of a TV/movie mood lately, or for a while. Not sure why... I do tend to go through a few periods of year where I lose interest in stuff and a vague feeling of dissatisfaction settles in, typically around the time the seasons change, but this one's lasted longer than most.
Good, give some of us mortals a chance to catch up with you on your massive 10k movie count. [laugh]
You exaggerate. It's only about 8k. ;)
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Lmao Ron Howard is directing a Star Wars movie.
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

^ Ron Solo... I'm not sure what to think about this. Though part of me is cynical, another part of me is reminding the cynical side that Star Wars has never really been an auteur-driven series (as opposed to a craft-driven one), so I'm not sure if Ron would have any real ability to ruin it if everything else is up to par.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Raxivace wrote:
maz89 wrote:And yeah, if a show I like got cancelled and didn't get the time or space to wrap things up properly, I'd probably end up hating the experience too.
Anytime this happens I take whatever the final episode was as legitimately the final word on the series. Like MTV of all channels did a Spider-Man series back in the day that I enjoyed that got cancelled after one season. The last episode ends with Peter Parker deciding that being a superhero is needlessly destructive and throwing his Spider-Man costume away for seemingly forever. Presumably this would have been undone in season 2, but because that never happened I think it's probably one of the legit most interesting adaptations of that character in like the last 15 years (The worst being his storyline in the obscure PS2 game Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects because seriously wtf was that).
[laugh]
Raxivace wrote:Tbh his storyline in season 3 could legit work as an ending for his character in BCS.
I just saw the last few episodes, and I agree. So fortunately, we're safe there.

Also, I want to reiterate again how much I love this show. That was the perfect way to end the third season, and how wonderfully cinematic it was too. Kudos to the performances too. BTW, what's the theory on what happens to Kim Wexler when all of this is done and dusted? Does she die becoming a catalyst for Jimmy's transition into Saul? Or does she leave him when she sees him lawyer up for criminals?
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

My guess would be that Kim leaves or dissociates from Jimmy after learning about Chuck's suicide. She was already feeling pretty guilty about how humiliated he got in court, and this might damage her very badly.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

64. Across the Wide Missouri (1951) -

The most unremarkable film I've seen in a long a while, which is weird to say about a western with Clark Gable and Ricardo Montalban. It's just a generic "crossing the frontier" kind of film. Some people die along the way, some live, but it's hard to care about any of them really. I wish I had more to say.

65. Witness For the Prosecution (1957) -

This movie on the other hand is pretty good. While its a little more reserved and British stylistically than I like Billy Wilder to be, it's pretty fun and pulled by some strong performances. I read Agatha Christie's short story before hand since I just happened to have a copy lying around, and it's interesting how the film version has much stronger characterization all around- the ending is slightly different too, though I'm personally unsure whether its more cynical to have the villain either get away with the murder as in the short story or to have him be murdered as in the film version.
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

^ Haven't seen the first, and haven't seen Witness in a very long time. It's one of the few Wilder's where almost nothing has stuck in my mind...
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

66. Harvey (1950) -

Probably the most famous Jimmy Stewart movie I had yet to see. It's pretty good in its absurdity- Stewart plays a guy that believes he has an invisible six foot three inches tall rabbit friend, and it's about whacky misadventures he has between doctors trying to commit him and his family not knowing what to do with him. Apparently this was also the film debut of Fess Parker of all people, which is interesting.

Actually the movie kind of reminds me of a plotline in the current Twin Peaks season The Dougie Jones one for those who have seen it. Particularly the running gag of people not realizing Jones just isn't all there at the insurance agency seems reminiscent of the doctors just interrupting Stewart right before he can interrupt Harvey.

I had fun with it.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Eva Yojimbo wrote:^ Haven't seen the first, and haven't seen Witness in a very long time. It's one of the few Wilder's where almost nothing has stuck in my mind...
I'm guessing this is because stylistically the movie doesn't have too much going for it unfortunately, and I seem to remember you saying once that you're not much into courtroom dramas generally.

That's partly why I'm curious as to how you'll react to Better Call Saul, since in a lot of ways it does away with most conventions for shows and movies about lawyers.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Raxivace wrote:This movie has Leon S. Kennedy get in a motorcycle chase on a highway against zombie dogs.
This amazing moment from the greatest movie ever made is now immortalized in gif form.

maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

^My brain just went numb.

The bomb was quite unnecessary after the billboard sliced the dog in half.
Last edited by maz89 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

So I watched a few more Sirk movies, and finally checked out the other German's homage to his classic film:

All I Desire - 8.5/10
All of Sirk's characters are confounded by one particular absurdity whenever they find themselves on the cross-road of life-changing potential: "...but what will the people say?" And so, in All I Desire, as a result of escaping from a broken marriage and an indecent affair, Naomi's desires are second to society's expectations, traditions and customs. She can only embrace those desires, regardless of how pure and innocent and wholesome they are and regardless of how she wants to make up for earlier indiscretions and errors, IF they are in line with the wishes of the town's citizens. Sirk's rigorous control of mise-en-scene, including his impeccable framing of characters with mundane objects, is present in spades here (consider the moment in the end when Joyce chirps happily to Henry about Naomi's decision to leave town in a dark hospital waiting room. Before Henry "enlightens" her, a nurse first steps in to turn on the lights. Or how Lily fidgets uncomfortably in the background when it is revealed that the living room clock had been slowed down, causing Naomi to miss the train. Or how Sirk often uses mirrors and barriers to separate characters, eg. when Naomi is talking to a Russ standing on the driveway from the first floor window, Sirk uses the window's vertical bars to divide Naomi and a Joyce who had just entered the room, visually evoking their fractured relationship). Sirk's black-and-white cinematography creates the perfect tone for all of these memorable visuals.

Has Anybody Seen My Gal - 7/10
As one of Sirk's more comical efforts (with a touch of musical thrown in), it's surprisingly effective, even if it is predictable. Despite the overbearing "money corrupts" message and the unusual lack of subtlety, it still retains some of that Sirkian flavor in its depiction of the status afforded to a family based on their wealth as well as the hypocrisy of those around them.

Sleep, My Love - 7/10
A decent film-noir with a few memorable touches. The artificial backgrounds lent an absorbing touch of surrealism to the crucial scenes on the bedroom balcony. While the movie was well-shot (as I'd expect any Sirk movie to be), I can't help but feel there was something missing. Perhaps it was the slow pacing that didn't seem to be always justified by the visuals - I feel like a brisker pace could have brought some much-needed momentum to the film's climax.

Ali: Fear Eats the Soul - 9/10
A masterfully shot and languid melodrama. Fassbinder's mise-en-scene feels noticeably different from Sirk's due to the grittier realism of the couple's surroundings. The sets are no longer artificial; the sanded off corners and dark patches on the walls of Emmi's apartment lobby are apparent from the start, as is the absence of people, reinforcing the film's somber tone and themes of isolation and loneliness. Fassbinder also deploys frequent long shots and a slower pace to capitalize on silences as characters often stand still and self-reflect. He also rarely uses any diegetic music in the tradition of Sirk's Hollywood films. All of these choices come together to heighten the performances of the leads (with an outstanding performance from Briggite Mira), and show how an innocent, pure relationship can become corrupted by the world around it if the participants let themselves fall for its selfish, fake and pointless validation.
Last edited by maz89 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

^ I reviewed All I Desire not too long ago myself:
All I Desire - Douglas Sirk - 8/10

Barbara Stanwyck gives a stellar performance in this early Sirk melodrama about an actress, Naomi, who left
her husband and three kids to pursue a career, and comes back to see her younger daughter, Lily, perform in a
high school play. Stanwyck was always compelling in these complex roles involving strongly independent but
conflicted women, and that's what she is throughout this film. You'll find fewer classic Hollywood actresses
capable of uttering the lines (paraphrased): “I guess we're disappointments to each other. You have a mother
with no shame and I have a daughter with no guts" with more icy power.

Though Sirk is better known for his lush technicolor films, he was equally adept at molding the light--and--shade
duality of black--and--white to his expressionistic needs. We see it here especially during the party scene where
Naomi is goaded into reading a poem from Elizabeth Browning when she first comes back to her home.
The B&W also emphasizes Sirk's method of frame--within--frame compositions, always echoing how characters
are trapped within social structures, traditions, and their varied illusions.

The film isn't perfect. It's played a bit too straight—Sirk was at his best when his exaggerations called
attention to the intended artificiality of melodrama—and the ex--lover narrative thread doesn't muster much
ream drama.

Sirk made two films with Stanwyck, this and There's Always Tomorrow. The latter is better if only
because Stanwyck was paired with a better counterpart, Fred MacMurray; but the two films are rather like
companion pieces, reflecting and refracting each other in fascinating ways. Critic Jeanine Basinger wrote a
truly insightful essay detailing their relationship titled “The Lure of the Gilded Cage: "
http: //brightlightsfilm.com/the-lure-of-the-gilded-cage-all-i-desire-and-theres-alwaystomorrow/#.V8XcK5grJhE
I don't remember much from My Gal and haven't seen Sleep, My Love, but what you say about "something missing" seems to be true of the Sirk noirs I have seen.

I saw Ali before I really got into Sirk and understood the idea behind melodrama melded with social commentary, so I didn't care much for it, but I suspect I might like it more if I saw it now. That said, Fassbinder is a director that's yet to really click with me in general, even when I can sometimes admire what he's doing from a distance.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

I like how you've mentioned Sirk's method of "frame within a frame compositions" (which is an accurate way of putting it), and also agree that the ex-lover thread just seems to linger and co-exist with the stronger stuff in the film. I look forward to There's Always Tomorrow. I haven't seen many Stanwyck films but I really loved her complex turn in All I Desire.

Fassbinder's approach is indeed less subtle, more 'colder' and obvious compared to Sirkian's more affectionate, "artificial", colorful aesthetic, and I wonder if I might feel the same way about Fassbinder (about being able to appreciate his work "from a distance") when any one of the elements in his movies is slightly weaker.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Raxivace wrote:53. Logan (2017) -

This was one of the more creative super hero movies in recent years, I feel. It downplays a lot of the traditional action story elements to focus on aging and loss and legacy- Logan himself is more or less ready to die, but when a young girl appears in his life that may be a mutant, he and an aging Xavier must take her on a journey to someplace that may be safe for her.

The characters in the movie watch Shane at one point, which is a nice comparison for the tone of the film. There are a lot of nice moments of characters just...sitting down and talking about things- one of the highlights being a dinner scene about halfway through the film, done with improvised dialogue in a way you just don't see in other movies like this. It was a nice sendoff to Hugh Jackman's time as Wolverine, and probably the best X-Men movie overall.
Finally saw this, and sure enough, I loved it. This is the X-Men movie I'd been waiting for since X-Men 2 (okay fine, Days of Future Past was solid too). For once, a "superhero" movie not crammed to capacity with a gazillion poorly developed characters and aimless threads, accelerating from one showy set-piece to another, absent of any visual flourishes and deeper thematic reflections.

The noir-ish lighting, calm pacing and controlled exposition lent an alluring mysterious and melancholic atmosphere. Jackman's performance conveys Logan's hopelessness with an almost tangible defeatism as the once immortal mutant is waiting for his turn to die in a world that has rejected and killed his kind. Opposite Jackman is a very different kind of Professor Xavier than we're using to seeing. It's heartbreaking, and the loss they have endured, and the damage it has done to their bitter relationship, hits hard, especially in the quieter moments. The racism angle stays in the background of this age-old, simple story about never losing hope, and I'd wager that this thematic simplicity is what makes it hold up so well.

While Jackman and Stewart say this will be their final turns as Wolvie and Xavier respectively... I kinda doubt it.
Last edited by maz89 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

maz89 wrote: The bomb was quite unnecessary after the billboard sliced the dog in half.
Look man, grenades take up valuable inventory space that could be better used for healing items or other ammunition. Throwing the grenade then and there and was actually extremely tactically sound.

This is practically a neorealist film!
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

maz89 wrote:While Jackman and Stewart say this will be their final turns as Wolvie and Xavier respectively... I kinda doubt it.
I kind of hope it is since it's more or less the perfect sendoff to those characters...at least, as those actors portrayed them.

It's kind of weird to think about but Hugh Jackman has been Wolverine since before 9/11.
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

maz89 wrote:I haven't seen many Stanwyck films but I really loved her complex turn in All I Desire.
The Lady Eve, Ball of Fire, and Double Indemnity are all must-sees from her (even though the first two are comedies she still really excels at them).
maz89 wrote:Fassbinder's approach is indeed less subtle, more 'colder' and obvious compared to Sirkian's more affectionate, "artificial", colorful aesthetic, and I wonder if I might feel the same way about Fassbinder (about being able to appreciate his work "from a distance") when any one of the elements in his movies is slightly weaker.
I should also mention that the Sirk influence on Fassbinder is only evident in some of his films. I think The Merchant of Four Seasons (which I liked a bit better than Ali) was the first from him in that style. Before that, the Fassbinder's I've seen have an almost Melvillean vibe to them, but perhaps even chillier.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Eva Yojimbo wrote:
maz89 wrote:I haven't seen many Stanwyck films but I really loved her complex turn in All I Desire.
The Lady Eve, Ball of Fire, and Double Indemnity are all must-sees from her (even though the first two are comedies she still really excels at them).
Holy crap. I've already seen (and I love) all of those films, but couldn't quite remember it was Stanwyck who was in them... [none]

Saw 'em 4-5 years ago though so that might explain the memory lapse...
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Raxivace wrote:
maz89 wrote: The bomb was quite unnecessary after the billboard sliced the dog in half.
Look man, grenades take up valuable inventory space that could be better used for healing items or other ammunition. Throwing the grenade then and there and was actually extremely tactically sound.

This is practically a neorealist film!
[laugh]
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I love the Criterion boxart for these two.

67. Ministry of Fear (1944) -

I'm a bit wary of comparing this is to the Hitchcock films of the time since Hitchcock himself was hugely influenced by Lang's earlier work, but it's hard not too if my own instincts are any indication and the fact that both the essay and the lone featurette that come with the Criterion blu-ray also do so.

I kind of see what Jimbo meant by it feeling a bit "middling", though I think it has a lot of individual scenes that work pretty well, such as the intro with Stephen getting the cake and all the different allusions to this sequence in the ending. It just doesn't have quite enough...personality I guess, to pull all of these different pieces together. Not really enough charisma to be Hitchcock, and not quite enough of the bombast I like in other Langs.

68. Night Train to Munich (1940) -

Another one that's hard to separate from Hitch, specifically The Lady Vanishes. It's actually something of a spinoff because two of the comic relief characters from that movie directly appear here- kind of reminds me of like a British Abott and Costello or something.

Historically this is a weird movie since we see references to concentration camps before America and Britain really knew what they were like- the movie goes from an opening set in one to a kind of spy suspense thriller. It's got some witty dialogue, Paul Henreid is good as the villain, and you can kind of see the attitudes gestating here that Reed would perfect in The Third Man.
Last edited by Raxivace on Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

^ I pretty much agree about MoF. Most of Lang's American films, even the lesser/middling ones, tend to have sequences that work well, and they tend to be those where he really gets to show off his directorial chops as opposed to working in the more economical, cookie-cutter, Studio System mold. Man Hunt is one of his American films I really like and think is quite underrated.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Saw The Red Turtle, another animated film from 2016. Quite liked its minimalist design making use of uniform, no-frills (but not repetitive or dull) textures, zero dialogue, absorbing sound design, and heartfelt, mysterious and magical story about love, companionship and nature (quite possibly, including a sad warning for climate change). Some of the sequences reminded me of something out of an old, forgotten 2D platformer game, and it seemed to use that to tap into a nostalgia for the past. Recommended.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Lmao Leftovers didn't get a single Emmy nomination.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I got caught up with other things for a few days so I'm afraid neither of these will be as detailed as I'd like, as it's now been while since I watched them.

69. Only Angels Have Wings (1939) -

Another nice film from Howard Hawks, continuing his interest in professionalism and witty romance. The plane sequence at the beginning particularly stands out to me- how dark it gets contrasted with how the men deal with the tragedy immediately afterwards really sets the tone for the rest of the film.

I'd be curious to hear thoughts from Jimbo about this one.

70. Finding Dory (2016) -

The closest I've seen an American movie represent being a caretaker of someone with mental disabilities without being weirdly demeaning about it. It's kind of weird that I have to go to a movie about cartoon fish to get something even relatively close to my own life but I'll take what I can get at this point.

It's been a long long time since I've seen the original Finding Nemo, but a lot of what I remember liking about that movie is here- creative ocean settings, fun implementations of real fish concepts, etc. Finding Dory has a lot more interaction with human facilities (A lot of the story is set in one of those rehabilitation centers for sea creatures) which leads to some neat segments, including a strangely high number of Sigourney Weaver cameos.
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

Raxivace wrote:I got caught up with other things for a few days so I'm afraid neither of these will be as detailed as I'd like, as it's now been while since I watched them.

69. Only Angels Have Wings (1939) -

I'd be curious to hear thoughts from Jimbo about this one.
I'd probably have to give it a rewatch to go into much depth, but I thought it an absolute masterpiece the first time I saw it 7-8 years ago and thought just as much when I rewatched it a few years later (I've yet to see the Criterion). The only thing I could find that I'd written on it was in a brief overview of Hawks's films on EvaGeeks where I said: "Angels is actually my favorite Hawks film and is in my top 40. It's just a pitch perfect film with a superb mix of comedy, drama, rich characterizations, great photography, action... it pretty much just has everything while being one of Cary Grant's best roles."

I think what I said about the "mix" is what left the biggest impression. It's not a film that does one-big-thing well, it's a film that does everything--and that's a lot--superbly. It's one of those films where I can't think of a single flaw, and yet every other scene it seems like I can point out something really great that's going on. Directorially it was Hawks at both his moodiest and his most muscular, so there's a great mix of the typically Hawksian, masculine, straight-forward, concise, powerful handling of scenes; but there are these moments of tenderness, stillness, and emotion. I also recall thinking how complex Grant's character was; another typically Hawksian masculine male, but one that's desperately trying to hold on to that solid surface while you can tell he's cracking. Then there are those unforgettable plane/action sequences that I think hold up amazingly well and were as tense as anything in Hitchcock. I also think the comedic touches, especially the interplay between Grant and Arthur, really work and help set up the pathos towards the end, and I think the "tragedy" is so heartbreaking precisely because of how well it's been set up with the comedy, light-heartedness, and whole stiff-upper-lip veneer of those men dedicated to such a high-risk job. It's a bit like The Wages of Fear if Wages had any emotional substance/depth whatsoever, and the fact that Hawks is so great at withholding emotion and putting up that strong, unshakable front is what makes it so devastating.

Hmmm, well, I guess I could say more than I thought I could. Really makes me want to give the Criterion blu a watch.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Saw a link to this video about Lost Highway, which contains a reading of the film I hadn't heard before.

I'm not super familiar with Oliver Stone, and while I have to say the idea of Lynch using one of his movies to do a Kevin Smith-ish snipe at another director seems kind of out of character of him to me its also hard to deny some of the similarities the video points out.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

^Just saw this. Interesting stuff as the similarities, like you said, certainly exist... as an aside, I hadn't even heard of Wild Palms. Is it any good?
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Yeah I hadn't heard of it either. I'm kind of curious about it but I don't know if I like Stone enough to really dig into it.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Been a while since I've posted an update. Since I have a lot of movies this time I'll be dropping the usual poster gimmick this time to save space ( [sad] ). Anyways here we go- ULTIMATE MOVIE UPDATE CANNON! FIRE!

71. Dunkirk (2017) - I'll just quote what I said about Dunkirk in the other thread.
Raxivace wrote:Just got out of the movie and quite liked it overall. I know Nolan mentioned being influenced by silent cinema and such, but I was surprised by how much I found myself thinking of Intolerance and even Battleship Potemkin to an extent while watching this- namely in the structure of the film with the cutting between Hardy/Rylance/the other guy, and also how they're meant to be less fully realized characters and more stand-ins for the diversity of an entire people, if that makes (Which perhaps makes it more nuanced than Battleship Potemkin's more propagandized depictions of the Soviets but whatever I'm half asleep and am badly in need of a nap). Even the one intertitle in the film's beginning kind of feels like it was written for that kind of film.

Also it was kind of funny how after all of the exposition of Inception and Interstellar the most we get in the movie is this:

If I had a major complaint its that I think that Interstellar probably had some stronger imagery overall, but was generally less effectively used than what Dunkirk did and had- the plane gliding at the end seems to genuinely hit hard, for example.

Dunkirk seems like a move in the right direction for Nolan after all.
72. Gilda (1946) - Solid noir with scenes from Rita Hayworth that are very iconic for a reason. Not sure I have a whole lot to really say about it, but I can't help but wonder if the ending isn't too optimistic. One of the Criterion special features suggests that the two leads won't actually stay happily together once the high of being in a dangerous situation together wears off, and I think that's the better way to read the film.

73. Shin Godzilla (2016, Rewatch) - I'll just quote what I said about Shin Godzilla in the other thread.
Raxivace wrote:My copy came yesterday. I'm a bit annoyed that the actual credits are not translated in the English release of the movie itself- the box itself advertises Shin Godzilla as being "from the mind behind Evangelion" and yet I'm not sure Anno's name can actually be read in English in the damn film, to say nothing of the hundreds of others who worked on the movie. At least its on the box in tiny print.

The "Godzilla vs. the Nerds" featurette is alright. It's a 30 minute roundtable discussion of nerds from Funimation geeking out over the film. It's not up there with like, Criterion special features but its hard to be mad at people liking a movie so unabashedly. They at least touch on some interesting ideas with the movie, even if they don't go into as much depth as I would have liked.

The blu-ray release has a reversible cover! That's pretty cool.

Shin Godzilla itself is still super watchable and I had a lot of fun with my second visit. I mentioned when the movie came out that I had heard there were accusations of the movie being fascist propaganda, and watching the movie a second time I even more strongly disagree with that notion than I did before.
74. They Live By Night (1948) - Kind of the prototype for movies like Gun Crazy and Bonnie & Clyde. It's a pretty rough noir with a bleak ending, and the special features in the Criterion release really made me appreciate how unique the soundscape of the movie is for when it came out.

75. Macross Plus: Movie Edition (1995) - A compilation film for the OVA series Macross Plus. It was kind of odd to me that one of these was even done for Macross Plus since it was pretty short to begin with at merely four 30 minute episodes. This movie is basically those four episodes stitched together with a couple of redone scenes and only really one notable scene dropped as far as I could tell. It's still a good watch at any rate- who can't love a story with the premise of “What if HAL 9000 was a pop idol that still wanted to kill everyone anyways?".

76. Macross Frontier: The False Songstress (2009) & 77. Macross Frontier: The Wings of Goodbye (2011) - These two are basically the exact opposite of Macross Plus: Movie Edition.

Macross Frontier was a 2008 anime series and the last one in the Macross franchise I had yet to see. The basic storyline, much like Macross 7 (1994) before it, follows a love triangle between of three residents of the Frontier Fleet of ships- a pilot (Alto Saotome) and two musicians (One a popular and a relatively experienced veteran named Sheryl Nome, the other a rising upcomer named Ranka Lee (Put them together and you get Sheryl Lee! Ahahahahahaha…this probably wasn't intentional. [sad] )) set against the backdrop of a space war against a race of alien bugs called the Vajra.

What's interesting about the two movies is how they reuse very little animation, and actually use the same basic setup as the TV version with a major alteration- the movies introduce the idea of Sheryl potentially being a spy for a separate space fleet trying to play the Frontier and the Vajra against each other while they can reap the benefits afterwards. This idea changes the dynamic of the story pretty heavily, and the two movies ultimately have a much more bittersweet ending than the TV version does.

78. Macross FB7: Listen to My Song! (2012) - An attempt at condensing Macross 7 into a 90 minute film that really, really doesn't work. That show was 49 episodes long for a reason. There's framing device here with the characters of Macross Frontier watching “historical footage" of the older show that leads to a few cute moments, but I think the movie would have better had there been more of that and less footage of the older show. There's probably only half an hour of new footage total (Including a kind of cool concert at the end featuring Sheryl and Ranka performing a collage of Fire Bomber songs), and it probably would have been better with more of that. Unfortunately, of the four Macross movies I watched for this post this was easily the worst one despite Macross 7 probably being my overall favorite series in the franchise.

79. Alien: Covenant (2017) - So from what I can tell this is a remake of Prometheus. In terms of plot it's an actual sequel to Prometheus, but the story is basically just Prometheus' again but with the stuff people complained about in that movie filed off.

Its fine I guess. Michael Fassbender is basically the new face of the franchise, and he's a hell of a lot more charismatic and interesting to watch than Sigourney Weaver ever was, as good as I think she is. The movie looks amazing as Prometheus did (And as The Martian somehow didn't), but when you take away the dumb parts of Prometheus I'm not sure how many memorable scenes there really are left. Prometheus was nothing if not memorable, if the number of people still bitching about it online are any indication (A group I was part of until I watched it a second time).

80. Alien: Resurrection (1997) - I'm not sure what the hell this was exactly. Joss Whedon wrote it, and he cheated on is wife apparently and is now being accused of not being a feminist.

It was an Alien movie I guess. I had enough fun watching it but it very much feels like what you'd imagine a generic clone of the Alien or Aliens to look like- perhaps fitting since Ripley in this film is a clone of the Ripley from the first three movies.

81. Passengers (2016) - So the premise here is that on an intergalactic travel to a far away planet, Chris Pine wakes up from cryosleep about 80 years too early. Alone. After spending about a year alone on this space cruiser he goes insane and wakes up another passenger (Jennifer Lawrence) from their cryosleep. The drama becomes about whether Lawrence will find out whether Pine is the one who woke her up far too early, and how she'll react.

I think these are the stronger parts of the film- towards the end of the film a third passenger coincidentally wakes up and an existential threat to the spaceship is introduced, and I don't think these parts of the film are nearly as strong. It kind of feels tacked on just to give the movie a resolution.

82. Diary of the Dead (2007) - Romero's second to last movie. It's done in kind of found footage style, as a bunch of film students attempt to survive the zombie outbreak.

If you're able to accept the stylistic premise, it's kind of interesting. Romero is specifically tackling how the internet has changed the world here- both the negatives of people obsessively filming themselves and wanting to post about it online, as well as the positives. It's probably the weakest entry in the overall series but I don't think it's a bad movie.

83. Survival of the Dead (2009) - Romero's final zombie film and his last film altogether. This is a weird premise- a group of Irish families living on an island have been warring with each other for many years, and then the zombie outbreak happens. One group of families wants to keep the zombies alive and banishes the patriarch of the other family off the island, as he has wanted to kill all of the zombies. On the mainland United States (For some reason), this patriarch meets up with several former National Guardsmen (Who previously appeared in Diary of the Dead as minor antagonists, interestingly enough), and eventually they team up to take over the island.

It's probably the second weakest of these movies overall, but it's still decent. If anything I really appreciate how Romero tried to make all six of the movies unique entries into his series- especially when how I think something like Telltale's Walking Dead games kind of run into the problem of repeating themselves often. I honestly think all six of them are worth a watch, especially Day of the Dead and Land of the Dead, which people seem to have ignored despite both nearly being as good as Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead.

If anything the final shot of Survival of the Dead, featuring two zombies eternally firing empty guns at each other sure is boss as hell and is a nice cap on Romero's filmography.

84. Mr. Lucky (1943) - A sort of gangster movie that's World War II propaganda in the vein of Casablanca. Cary Grant plays a gangster that falls in love with a woman working for the War Relief effort, and tries to use his gangster ways to help it (It kind of reminds me of the earlier Cagney movie Picture Snatcher (1933), where Cagney uses his tough guy attitude to make it as a proto-paparazzi). Grant's gangster ways come back to haunt him as the movie continues on, though not-too-subtly this happens as he becomes more and more genuinely involved with the War effort.

It's a solid film- surprisingly a lot about class struggle in here, though like most movies of this type it's ultimately an uplifting tale about supporting the war effort.

85. Friday the 13th: Part III (1983) - This is the third Friday the 13th movie. Remember that iconic scene where the camp counselors get in a scuffle with an interracial biker gang at a convenience store? You don't remember it, and there's a reason for that.

Other than the weird biker gang vs. counselors angle, this is just a generic slasher picture. The only notable thing about this film, other than the bad 3D effect shots, are that this is the one where Jason gets his iconic mask. Off-screen, mind you.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

That's a whole lot of updates. I've seen a bunch of movies too, but I'll just talk about one: Avalon. It's a Mamoru Oshii film set in a distant future in which the only escape from the repetitive idleness of daily existence is a virtual reality game. Becomes a heavily stylized neo-noir half-way through with the low saturation and sepia tones giving the whole affair a haunting otherworldly vibe. I saw it recently, and loved it. As a "disillusioned" gamer, it may appeal to you too. Have you seen it?
Last edited by maz89 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Haven't seen that one. I haven't really dug into Oshii's stuff yet myself.

Stuff about virtual reality games is super popular in Japan right now, so looking that movie up I'm a bit surprised to see its a bit older.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

I think I've only seen Gilda of the movies you've seen. I have probably as little to say about it as you. Don't remember much other than the fact I liked it.

I plan to catch Dunkirk when I visit Athens next week. If it's still on...
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I'm kind of at a point where I struggle to find new things to say about classic noirs in general. Like They Live By Night is great, but I feel like most of the work is already done when I compare it to Gun Crazy and Bonnie & Clyde.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

This kinda reminds me of the internal debate I had when I saw Le Jetee. I had seen Twelve Monkeys first so the revelation in Le Jetee - while still profound and overwhelming - made me kinda wish I had seen it first. What a great, innovative piece of filmmaking though. Stripping down the story into the basic stills, backing it up with a captivating, eerie sound design.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Le Jetee is the greatest PowerPoint presentation ever made.

I actually did see it before 12 Monkeys myself- back when I was in college, our teacher paired it with 12 Monkeys to talk about how such different forms affect what is essentially the same story in both films.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Raxivace wrote:Le Jetee is the greatest PowerPoint presentation ever made.
[laugh] This is how I will describe it from now on.