The IMDb Boards Are Now Officially Closed

Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

The IMDb Boards Are Now Officially Closed

Post by Raxivace »

RIP in peace.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Chuckles_Otoole
Frequenter

Re: The IMDb Boards Are Now Officially Closed

Post by Chuckles_Otoole »

RIP = "rest in peace", so "RIP in peace" = "rest in peace in peace."
[none]
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Chuckles_Otoole wrote:RIP = "rest in peace", so "RIP in peace" = "rest in peace in peace."
[none]
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/rip-in-peace
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Chuckles_Otoole
Frequenter

You kids and your memes.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

To be serious for a moment though, IMDb wasn't perfect. It was too big for its own good, prone to hatred and ignorance, and was improperly managed by the moderation and administrative staff to a degree I have never seen in any other forum. And yet...within that uncultivated chaos, I found a nice little corner of internet among people I'm happy to call friends. We carved out something that, while also not perfect, I thought was nice. It got me through some tough nights, particularly ones from a time in my life where I would have been alone in a certain city, crowded with uncanny strangers, with nothing but my thoughts otherwise.

Perhaps if IMDb had been more properly managed, I never would have had this. I don't know for sure. I don't really expect this eulogy to make any sense to anyone other than myself, but that's what IMDb meant to me at the end. Now its just another thing from the internet I've lost. Seems to be a lot of things like that for me these days...

So all joking aside, RIP IMDb. RIP in peace.
Chuckles_Otoole
Frequenter

Agreed with all of the above.

IMDb could've been salvaged with a simple "Block" feature a la Facebook, instead of the useless and stupid "Ignore" function, which allowed trolls to continue stalking, harassing and doxxing other users. IMDb management simply wasn't interested in improving the board experience.

I'll always be grateful for having met you fine people, but I won't miss it. I stopped using the IMDb boards on a regular basis in 2013 after The Unit or The Platoon or whatever the fuck they called themselves started doxxing me on RFS. Assholes.

Also, the language. Jesus. I'll never join another message board again where I can't say "fuck" or "shit" once in awhile, it's so prudish. Are we grownups or not?
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

The censors were annoying too when you couldn't say a director's name that they already had a forum for anyways. "Cary Fukunaga" was one I had an issue with because of this several times.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

I met so many terrible people on IMDb and I am pleased to say that I am still friends with all of them.
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
Chuckles_Otoole
Frequenter

aels wrote:I met so many terrible people on IMDb and I am pleased to say that I am still friends with all of them.
[kiss]
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

[wave] [kiss]
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

aels wrote:I met so many terrible people on IMDb and I am pleased to say that I am still friends with all of them.
[wave]
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

[wink]
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

Raxivace wrote:To be serious for a moment though, IMDb wasn't perfect. It was too big for its own good, prone to hatred and ignorance, and was improperly managed by the moderation and administrative staff to a degree I have never seen in any other forum. And yet...within that uncultivated chaos, I found a nice little corner of internet among people I'm happy to call friends. We carved out something that, while also not perfect, I thought was nice. It got me through some tough nights, particularly ones from a time in my life where I would have been alone in a certain city, crowded with uncanny strangers, with nothing but my thoughts otherwise.

Perhaps if IMDb had been more properly managed, I never would have had this. I don't know for sure. I don't really expect this eulogy to make any sense to anyone other than myself, but that's what IMDb meant to me at the end. Now its just another thing from the internet I've lost. Seems to be a lot of things like that for me these days...

So all joking aside, RIP IMDb. RIP in peace.
Beautifully said. For me it's mostly nostalgia, thinking back on the past 10 years of my life, how much has come and gone in that decade, while the IMDb forums remained a constant. I've said it before, but I kinda enjoyed the chaos. Anarchy has a certain appeal in being able to see how all kinds from all walks interact. But, yes, it was also nice to find those "little corners" with good, close, intimate friends. I'm really glad we managed to archive most of our General Chat threads... it's kinda sad thinking of how many great IMDb discussions have sunk to the abyss because of the time wipe function or now with the closing of the boards. But General Chat will be able to exist forever, along with the human souls that dwell within it. When the Earth, the Moon and the Sun are all gone, General Chat will exist, so long as one person remains. It'll be lonely, but as long as one person still lives it will be eternal proof that the NGE IMDb forum existed. [wink]
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." -- Carl Jung
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

That board was crawling with white supremacists...not really gonna miss it. I didn't realize they were closing so soon, I might have made some farewell posts or shit-talked some of those fuckers one last time. Though, I guess it's weirdly appropriate that my last post was on a thread titled "describe white people in one word"...I said cunts. [none]
Chuckles_Otoole
Frequenter

I spent the final two weeks of the boards unloading on Aye Lewis, who had camped put on the "Ghostbusters 2016" boards. That was fun. I kept ramping it up until by the last two days I was throwing obscenities at him in every response. He even made a "Who wants to stay in touch" thread on 2/18, and I posted some things that must've hit a nerve because he had the whole thread deleted 5 minutes later. God, the satisfaction. I think I actually scared him. Ha.
OpiateOfTheMasses
Global Moderator

Post by OpiateOfTheMasses »

Wait - has something happened to the imdb board?!?
You can't make everyone happy. You are not pizza.
Chuckles_Otoole
Frequenter

OpiateOfTheMasses wrote:Wait - has something happened to the imdb board?!?
[none]