Frequenter

Watching "Firefly" reruns

Post by Chuckles_Otoole »

We were robbed. I want a second season.
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Re: Watching "Firefly" reruns

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

I agree. I watched it when it originally aired and then rewatched it on DVD and again via a TV marathon. Such a great show with such tremendous potential. Fox screwed the pooch on that one.
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." -- Carl Jung
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

'Twas a beautiful, well-written show. I fell in love with that crew. Though, it was one of those shows that didn't seem appealing to me in any way. I started watching it out of boredom, and by the 2nd or 3rd episode I was hooked. Had a similar experience with 'The Riches'...which was also unjustly cancelled.

It's like making passionate love and not getting to...erm...the end. [none] You almost wish you didn't start in the first place.
Gypsy-Vanner
Ultra Poster

Post by Gypsy-Vanner »

Ditto to what Cassius said.
I Shall Smite Thee Ruinous While Thy Soul Weeps for Salvation
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

I will never get what the big deal is with that stupid show.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

Derived Absurdity wrote:I will never get what the big deal is with that stupid show.
That's because you're a hipster. [razz]
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

Derived Absurdity wrote:I will never get what the big deal is with that stupid show.
Great writing. Awesome atmosphere--nailed the whole sci-fi western vibe better than anything outside Cowboy Bebop. Plus, there's this:
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." -- Carl Jung
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

It's okay.
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

It's funnier in the context of the episode.
AndrewisFTTW
New Timer

Post by AndrewisFTTW »

I think what exists of Firefly is mediocre. That said, I'm confident that had there been a 3rd or 4th season they would've hit their stride and really found what works and what doesn't. But a reboot of Firefly, darker, more dystopian, and fully fleshed out, without the temptation to make it kid friendly or even young adult friendly would be something to behold, I think.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I think what was special about Firefly has kind of been diluted by stuff that has come since- namely sci-fi and most of the Marvel stuff that combines genre and humor in the same way Firefly did. It's kind of expected though since Whedon's style has really been emulated by Disney's recent projects after his success with The Avengers.

Still, Firefly was a show I liked a lot but haven't gone back to rewatch in a quite a few years. I should give it a look again when I have time.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Chuckles_Otoole
Frequenter

Post by Chuckles_Otoole »

Firefly was one-of-a-kind if for no other reason than the chemistry of the main characters. Probably the best ensemble cast ever assembled, except for maybe "Newsradio." Plus the story taken as a whole is just brilliant. And the greatest one-liners ever. Like, "A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." I mean, basically the entire collected script is just one long amazing quote.
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

Chuckles_Otoole wrote: "A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything."
I really liked: "If you take sexual advantage of her, you're going to burn in a very special level of hell, a level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."