The Oscars 2017

Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

The Oscars 2017

Post by Raxivace »

Pretty good ceremony this year, I thought Kimmel had some funny bits, I agree with a decent chunk of the winners but uh...

What the hell happened at the end there with the Best Picture announcement? That was one of the most bizarre things I've seen on television in a while.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Re: The Oscars 2017

Post by Derived Absurdity »

By bizarre, I think you meant "hilarious".
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

Why? What happened during the Best Picture Announcement?
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:Why? What happened during the Best Picture Announcement?
They incorrectly announced La La Land as the winner of Best Picture award, but weren't able to correct it until after the producers for La La Land were already on stage giving their acceptance speeches.
Derived Absurdity wrote:By bizarre, I think you meant "hilarious".
Oh it was funny as hell too, it's just amazingly strange to me that they made this big of a screw up on live tv.

Moonlight won when all was said and done though, so I was pretty happy about that.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Yeah, saw the clip on Youtube. Funny, but kind of feel bad for the La La Land producers giving heartfelt speeches then getting the award ripped away. Then again, we got to hear the speeches we never would have heard had it not been for that mistake.

Hopefully this will teach the Academy & other award shows/organizations to fucking color code their envelopes instead of using the same damned color.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

So I didn't watch them, but lol at the ending. Feel bad for the guys who thought they won.

Um, so how come I've never even heard of "Moonlght" before? Normally movies that end up winning best picture actually get talked about at some point....
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

Moonlight was talked about on Raxivace's thread.
JaredMithrandir
New Timer

Post by JaredMithrandir »

Emma Stone says she was holding her card at the time.

So I think it was staged.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

JaredMithrandir wrote:Emma Stone says she was holding her card at the time.

They have duplicates. Staging the incident would discredit the Academy to a terrible degree.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:

They have duplicates. Staging the incident would discredit the Academy to a terrible degree.
I just heard that there's a conspiracy theory out there that Marisa Tomei didn't actually win Best Supporting Actress for My Cousin Vinny, but it was actually a mistake exactly like what happened last night. Except that rather than fix the mistake and deal with the awkwardness, they covered it up and pretended she actually won all along.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Gendo wrote:
Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:

I just heard that there's a conspiracy theory out there that Marisa Tomei didn't actually win Best Supporting Actress for My Cousin Vinny, but it was actually a mistake exactly like what happened last night. Except that rather than fix the mistake and deal with the awkwardness, they covered it up and pretended she actually won all along.
Futurama made a joke about that years ago.

And this article makes the assertion that the blunder actually vindicates Palance & Tomei: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/art ... 4ae2def67c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

LOL, I just saw this today. Hilarious and sad at the same time--I feel so bad for the La La Land people. Amazing that this could even happen... how do they hand out the wrong envelope? Seriously, that person had ONE FUCKING JOB!

James Corden had a good joke about this: Apparently, Elon Musk is planning a 2-person moon trip next year. He wouldn't say who's going, but said it wasn't anyone from Hollywood... so once again La La Land loses out to Moonlight.
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." -- Carl Jung