So apparently the new Beauty and the Beast is just gay propaganda

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Gendo
Site Admin

So apparently the new Beauty and the Beast is just gay propaganda

Post by Gendo »

According to some people, anyway. There's some big controversy because apparently one of the male characters has a man-crush on Gaston. Now all these parents are talking about how they aren't going to be taking their kids to see such things.

I hate everyone.
Gendo
Site Admin

Re: So apparently the new Beauty and the Beast is just gay propaganda

Post by Gendo »

Also, this is a film that's literally about bestiality. That apparently is ok and all, so long as it's not gay.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

It's not really a dramatic interpretation of the animation anyway - LeFou has an entire song about how Gaston is handsome and manly.
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

Also, this is a film that's literally about bestiality.
Bestiality and witchcraft and Stockholm Syndrome.

A friend said she saw someone claim that it wasn't bestiality because he used to be human. :|

By that logic, all sex is pedophilia.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

Gendo wrote:According to some people, anyway. There's some big controversy because apparently one of the male characters has a man-crush on Gaston. Now all these parents are talking about how they aren't going to be taking their kids to see such things.

I hate everyone.
I thought this was readily apparent in the original animated LeFou. I mean, you don't sing a song about how great someone is without having some sort of crush on someone.
aels wrote:It's not really a dramatic interpretation of the animation anyway - LeFou has an entire song about how Gaston is handsome and manly.
See. Aels agrees with me.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

In Beauty and the Beast, the animated Disney version at least, humanity is defined in terms of love and empathy toward others. Beast was at his most monsterish when he was a pale skinned white dude being shitty to poor people. Similarly, Gaston is also an asshole despite being presented as handsome or whatever to the other characters in the story.

Beast started being human only once he had fangs and too much hair.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Raxivace wrote:In Beauty and the Beast, the animated Disney version at least, humanity is defined in terms of love and empathy toward others. Beast was at his most monsterish when he was a pale skinned white dude being shitty to poor people. Similarly, Gaston is also an asshole despite being presented as handsome or whatever to the other characters in the story.

That sounds about right. Say, who wanted a live adaptation of the movie again? The trailer made it feel like it would be a scene-by-scene remake of the original, which is the absolute worst kind of adaptation.
"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose"
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

maz89 wrote:Say, who wanted a live adaptation of the movie again? The trailer made it feel like it would be a scene-by-scene remake of the original, which is the absolute worst kind of adaptation.

Yeah this is the reason that I'm not excited to see it like a lot of people are. I'd be fine with a live-action remake if it's actually a new thing. It could tell the original story in a new way; that'd be cool. But the previews make it look like it's just the same exact movie.
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Post by phe_de »

I just googled "beauty beast controversy", and the first hits that came up were about a lesson plan that says that Beauty and the Beast supposedly promotes domestic violence.
Other controversies are about the promotion of Stockholm syndrome.

Then I refined the google search to hits only a week old, and almost all hits are about the first gay Disney character LeFou.
Guess some people like to get offended at stuff. I am still planning to watch Beauty and the Beast.
Common sense is another word for prejudice.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

I read somewhere that this was supposed to be a 'feminist reimagining' of the story, at least according to Emma Watson who said she wouldn't have signed up otherwise.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

Tbh this sounds like a bad idea to me. LeFou is a servile idiot in the original movie. Is it really a good idea to have as a representation (of sorts) of gay people a servile idiot slavishly devoted to the hyper-masculine alpha male asshole villain of the movie?

Disney really just needs to make a main character unambiguously gay already. It's depressing that people say we've made so much progress on gay rights and Disney, of all companies, still seems extremely hesitant on prominently showing a gay relationship in a good light.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

Could be a money thing. As it is I don't even know what local censors will do with this movie - any positive portrayals of LGBT people get an automatic NC-16, but this is a children's movie and they'd be shutting out most of their box office if they do that. Yet if they don't, parents will probably complain.

They took a long time figuring out what to rate Star Trek Beyond because of a few seconds of ambiguous gayness before deciding on PG-13, so maybe that's a good sign. But I hear the gayness in this movie is going to be a lot more decisively represented, so who knows.

EDIT: oh wow, it got a PG. But I think that was before the announcement of the gay scene. This will be interesting.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

There is a Disney video game featuring a character who falls in love with a literal genderswapped clone of themselves. This game ends with them murdering the clone. They're also both members of a cult.

I don't think Disney should have an issue with homosexuality when they already have their labels on products with pseudo-incest.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

maz89 wrote:
Raxivace wrote:In Beauty and the Beast, the animated Disney version at least, humanity is defined in terms of love and empathy toward others. Beast was at his most monsterish when he was a pale skinned white dude being shitty to poor people. Similarly, Gaston is also an asshole despite being presented as handsome or whatever to the other characters in the story.

Say, who wanted a live adaptation of the movie again?
Ugh, no one. BatB is my favourite Disney film and the first film I ever saw in the cinema and I just... don't care about seeing it with real people instead of cartoon people. I will probably go and see it out of curiosity but I don't imagine it's going to blow my mind. Emma Watson is 90% eyebrows and she doesn't (from what I've heard so far) have a strong enough singing voice. I quite liked Maleficent but that was because it was doing something different and even though Maleficent herself was pretty out of character, I was able to mentally file her as an alternate continuity Maleficent.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

Raxivace wrote:There is a Disney video game featuring a character who falls in love with a literal genderswapped clone of themselves. This game ends with them murdering the clone. They're also both members of a cult.

I don't think Disney should have an issue with homosexuality when they already have their labels on products with pseudo-incest.
Which game is this?
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

I might think about seeing it at some point at home for free if Emma Watson had any tiny scintilla of acting or singing talent whatsoever.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

aels wrote:
Raxivace wrote:There is a Disney video game featuring a character who falls in love with a literal genderswapped clone of themselves. This game ends with them murdering the clone. They're also both members of a cult.

Which game is this?
The bizarrely named Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

Ah, I thought it might be a Kingdom Hearts game - I've only played KH1 & 2 because I don't have a PSP/DS/GBA/scientific calculator so everything outside of the main storyline is a closed book to me.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

They've since gotten better about consolidating releases onto single platforms but yeah the games are pretty out there for a Disney property.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Well, it looks like the movie is getting good early reviews. Kind of surprised really. But apparently they do a good job of keeping an almost beat for beat adaptation while adding a few new elements to update it to a degree.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

Emma Watson is 90% eyebrows
if Emma Watson is 90% eyebrows then what is Zachary Quinto
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Anakin McFly wrote:
Emma Watson is 90% eyebrows
if Emma Watson is 90% eyebrows then what is Zachary Quinto
95%
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

aels wrote:
maz89 wrote:

Ugh, no one. BatB is my favourite Disney film and the first film I ever saw in the cinema and I just... don't care about seeing it with real people instead of cartoon people. I will probably go and see it out of curiosity but I don't imagine it's going to blow my mind. Emma Watson is 90% eyebrows and she doesn't (from what I've heard so far) have a strong enough singing voice. I quite liked Maleficent but that was because it was doing something different and even though Maleficent herself was pretty out of character, I was able to mentally file her as an alternate continuity Maleficent.
Huh, I thought I remembered you as being one of the people who was super excited about this movie. At least in the erarly days when the first teasers were coming out.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:Well, it looks like the movie is getting good early reviews. Kind of surprised really. But apparently they do a good job of keeping an almost beat for beat adaptation while adding a few new elements to update it to a degree.
Hm. Not sure about good, but decent and on par with expectations. Metacritic has it at 64, which would be in line with the 6.5/10 rating it would probably fetch if it really does bring something new to the table.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

maz89 wrote:
Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:Well, it looks like the movie is getting good early reviews. Kind of surprised really. But apparently they do a good job of keeping an almost beat for beat adaptation while adding a few new elements to update it to a degree.
Hm. Not sure about good, but decent and on par with expectations. Metacritic has it at 64, which would be in line with the 6.5/10 rating it would probably fetch if it really does bring something new to the table.
So good job because I'm going more by YouTube critics who are more in line with my tastes (so many critics want all oscar bait all the time).
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Fair enough. I never could trust IMDB ratings.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

Gendo wrote:
aels wrote:
maz89 wrote:

Huh, I thought I remembered you as being one of the people who was super excited about this movie. At least in the erarly days when the first teasers were coming out.
I was curmudgeonly and suspicious right up until I saw the first teaser which used the original prologue music and got me right in the feels. Then back to curmudgeonly and suspicious when I saw a clip of Emma Watson singacting/saw how horrifying Mrs Potts is.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

aels wrote:
Gendo wrote:
aels wrote:
maz89 wrote:

I was curmudgeonly and suspicious right up until I saw the first teaser which used the original prologue music and got me right in the feels. Then back to curmudgeonly and suspicious when I saw a clip of Emma Watson singacting/saw how horrifying Mrs Potts is.

I'm ok with the sing acting. But yeah, I have the same problem with Potts & Chip. Why are their faces painted on and creepy but Lumiere gets an actual mouth? Chip & Potts look downright as you said horrifying.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

WARM AND MOTHERLY
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

aels wrote: ohImage

WARM AND MOTHERLY
Stills not so bad. It's when they talk.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

ok now that image is going to haunt my dreams
and it doesn't help that they were once people
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Post by phe_de »

I just watched it. I enjoyed it a lot.

Not as funny as the animated movie. Less slapstick. More dramatic. Not a children's movie in my opinion.
But they kept all the original songs, and the parts they added add background information about the characters, which fits organically with the whole movie.

The acting performances were all good. The singing performances mostly too; but Emma Watson is better at acting than at singing.

And Lefou is much more likeable than in the animated movie.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

srsly the main reason I'm not sure I want to watch it is because that teapot might haunt my dreams forever.
No one's slick as Gaston
No one's quick as Gaston
No one's neck's as incredibly thick as Gaston's
For there's no man in town half as manly
now see, if they were really pushing the gay agenda, they would have swapped out 'neck' for something that rhymes better.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

Oh, the National Council of Churches of Singapore sent out an advisory to parents, cautioning them about this movie:

http://nccs.org.sg/2017/03/14/nccs-advi ... arch-2017/
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Post by phe_de »

Anakin McFly wrote:Oh, the National Council of Churches of Singapore sent out an advisory to parents, cautioning them about this movie:

http://nccs.org.sg/2017/03/14/nccs-advi ... arch-2017/
Churchie propagandists. I don't know if they are being paranoid or making subtle advertising for the movie. Because the "gay moment" at the end was so subtle, IMO it can easily be missed or dismissed.

On the other hand, the new BATB is not a children's movie IMO. It' s much longer than the animated version, less funny (some slapstick moments are missing), and more dramatic.
So maybe it's a good thing that children are kept away from this movie; this way, the teenagers and grown-ups can enjoy the movie more. No whining or crying children, no parents loudly explaining the movie to their kids... [wink]