To our British members: Are bangers supposed to be dry as fuck?

Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

To our British members: Are bangers supposed to be dry as fuck?

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

Or did the American restairant cook them wrong? Or am I just used to the fattier American version of sausage?

*awaits double entendres while also awaiting serious answers*
aels
Global Moderator

Re: To our British members: Are bangers supposed to be dry as fuck?

Post by aels »

No, I don't think so. I mean, I've never tried American sausages (STOP IT, CASH) but the only times I've had very dry British ones, it's been because they weren't real meat (like Quorn ones).
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
OpiateOfTheMasses
Global Moderator

Post by OpiateOfTheMasses »

No they're not. In fact they're called "bangers" because that's the fat spitting out of them and sometimes making the skins split. They should be oozing with porky-fatty-goodness.
You can't make everyone happy. You are not pizza.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

OpiateOfTheMasses wrote:No they're not. In fact they're called "bangers" because that's the fat spitting out of them and sometimes making the skins split. They should be oozing with porky-fatty-goodness.
It's probably a texture thing because they weren't as dry as I'm making them out to be. Another thing is American breakfast sausages are smaller than bangers, so maybe the fat and seasoning is more concentrated? I don't know.
thesalmonofdoubt
Global Moderator

Post by thesalmonofdoubt »

Not in my experience, which is reasonably comprehensive.

Bangers, usually pork sausages, should be absolutely full of porky fat and juicy. The texture is different from the breakfast sausages I normally get when I am in the states, hard to put a finger on the actual difference.
To me, American breakfast sausages have a less "meaty" texture .. almost like there is more filler than meat .. where a proper English banger is normally mostly pork and seasoning with a bit of flour to bind it together.. So while the sausage is firmer and more meaty - its still should be succulent and juicy !

Bangers here, and I'm pretty sure in the UK as well .. can mean literally any type of sausage whether that be your traditional Fatty pork sausage or an exotic red meaty one, obviously the texture/taste and fatty goodness is different for every different kinda banger.