Random nostalgic shit

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Random nostalgic shit

Post by Cassius Clay »

So, there was some weird children's show about a guy in a castle that I vaguely remember watching as a kid. I've been trying to find that shit for years but it's as if it never existed. I think he might have been a vampire, or maybe he just had bats flying around the castle? I don't think there was any real dialogue in it, but I think there was a narrator...or not. It may have been animated...and if it was, the animation was unique. I don't think it was an American show...it was possibly British. I know this is an incredibly ambiguous description, but if anybody has any clues, hook me up. I just remember being mesmerized by it, even though I only saw maybe 3 episodes of it. It had a quiet and charming eeriness about it that makes me think of that 'Don't Hug Me I'm Scared' series on youtube(now that I think about it, it also makes me think of the opening to 'Beauty and the Beast'. I expect answers soon...or else.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Re: Random nostalgic shit

Post by Cassius Clay »

I forgot how oddly charming this movie is, haven't seen it in years:

BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

I haven't got a fucking clue. Never saw a silent children's show about a guy in a castle with bats. I never watched British shows either.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

I can only think of two children's shows that involved castles and bats. Eureeka's Castle was an American show involving puppets as characters and was filmed during the late 80s/early 90s. The Hilarious House of Frightenstein was a live-action Canadian show filmed in the early 70s but there were over a hundred episodes and it was still being aired on Children's networks at least into the early to mid 90s.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

It isn't either one of those. Eureeka's Castle comes up a lot when I'm looking for this show.

Here's another weird clue that might help...it had music in it that sounded like the first 18 seconds of the music in this trailer:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWZtlD0mu-k&t=37s[/youtube]

A sort of descending, off-key piano music that makes you think of something chaotic happening...like falling down the stairs or some shit...or an object spiraling downwards. In fact, I think that type of music was played during a scene where something, or someone, was falling down a pit in the castle.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

You bastards...
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Remember this Mask of Zorro trailer? I do..it was awesome.

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

And I've never even seen this frickin movie but I've seen this trailer countless times. It was one of the preview trailers on my Ninja Turtles 2 tape. Now I'm nostalgic over a fucking movie I've never even seen.

BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

That's Ben Savage!

Fucking epic name.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

He's been savage for a long time. Did you ever watch Boy Meets World?
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

Sure did. I had a huge crush on Topanga.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Just started watching Boy Meets World last month. I've seen a couple episodes before, but that's all. Near the end of season 1 now.

I'm impressed by how good it is.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

Cassius Clay wrote:So, there was some weird children's show about a guy in a castle that I vaguely remember watching as a kid. I've been trying to find that shit for years but it's as if it never existed. I think he might have been a vampire, or maybe he just had bats flying around the castle? I don't think there was any real dialogue in it, but I think there was a narrator...or not. It may have been animated...and if it was, the animation was unique. I don't think it was an American show...it was possibly British. I know this is an incredibly ambiguous description, but if anybody has any clues, hook me up. I just remember being mesmerized by it, even though I only saw maybe 3 episodes of it. It had a quiet and charming eeriness about it that makes me think of that 'Don't Hug Me I'm Scared' series on youtube(now that I think about it, it also makes me think of the opening to 'Beauty and the Beast'. I expect answers soon...or else.
Mighty Max?
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

@Apollo Nope

@Gendo You can't just start watch BMW as an adult! That's like if I just started watching 'Degrassi' today or some shit.

@Bruce My middle school friday nights were all about that TGIF lineup. Boy meets world, Family matters, Sabrina, Step-by-step...all that shit. Topanga was cute.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

What a little bitch.

Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

Cassius Clay wrote:He's been savage for a long time. Did you ever watch Boy Meets World?
I did. Loved that show as a kid. Even managed to get my mom really into it somehow. It got ridiculously stupid in the last several seasons, though.
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." -- Carl Jung
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I vaguely remember BMW starting to get silly. I think I kinda outgrew it and didn't watch it to the end.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

The ending of Splash struck me because on one hand, it seemed so abrupt and bittersweet(Like, you're really just gonna leave John Candy behind? Are you sure you wanna go live with these freaky fish people forever?)...But, paradoxically, feels satisfying in it's conclusion.

Last edited by Cassius Clay on Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Usual jokester, Dr Ian Malcolm, surprisingly kills the celebratory mood with a sobering point

Goldblum was the shit in this movie
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Who the hell is that? Paul Giamatti's son?
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

A classic. The type of movie you catch on tv and watch to the end no matter how far along it is. Perfect for a lazy Sunday afternoon.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgJ2CaTfaxU&t=70s[/youtube]
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Cassius Clay wrote:Who the hell is that? Paul Giamatti's son?
Brandon Hardesty. Small time comedian and actor. He has a bunch of these reenactment videos that are impressively good.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

His impression of the financial backer in Ocean's 11(I forget the character's name) was spot on.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Me, as everything falls apart around us:

I'm looking for movies with a similar concept as magnificent seven...where a bunch of highly-skilled/intelligent, like-minded, yet very unique individuals(with strong personalities) are recruited and/or form a team. This is typically seen in heist movies...then there's avengers, seven lucky kids(maybe), but I can't think of others. The walking dead kinda has that element to it.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Watch Seven Samurai, the movie The Magnificent Seven is a pale imitation of.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Oh, I know seven samurai is the original. I've been meaning to watch it for about 15 years now and I've never gotten around to it. I'll try and watch it before the apocalypse comes.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is another one.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

I dunno if you ever saw this movie, but it fits the bill of what you're looking for and I liked it a lot more than most people. Clive Owen's Arthur embodies a lot of what I try emulate as a leader.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

Oh, also, Young Guns. I fucking loved that movie when I was in my late teens/early twenties.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

I think Hackers also fits in this bucket, but it's very meh. I think it had a cult following at one point, but now it's just a weird, forgettable 90's movie, which played on the idea that the Internet was magic.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Wow, how could I forget about King Arthur and the knights of the round table? That's a good one. I vaguely remember Young Guns, but I'll check it out. I remember not really liking Hackers.

I realized that The Fellowship of the Ring fits too.

After Cavs won the NBA championship last year, I remember seeing this meme parodying the trope:

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I remember liking this scene not necessarily for the famous "they pull me back in" line...but because of the dramatic/sudden change in his attitude: initially trying to be calm and diplomatic about things...saying he doesn't want anymore conflict and that "our true enemy has not yet shown his face", to realizing that the snake is old-man Altobello while he's having a stroke(the stroke revealing his true feelings and anger). The angry disgust and emphasis in the way he says "you deceitful little ffffuck" is hilarious.

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

This franchise used to simply be about street-racing and platonic man-love...what happened? Now Vin Diesel is uppercutting grenades into fighter jets while skydiving or some shit. He says he owes him a ten-second car, but he's really offering his infinite-second heart:

Realization of betrayal:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4xzP6H ... u.be&t=142[/youtube]
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

You people are a bunch of young whippersnappers who need to get off my lawn. Nostalgia for me is Marcia Brady and Laurie Partridge. Also, trying to decide if Lee Majors' best acting was as Heath Barkley in the 60s, Steve Austin in the 70s or Colt Seavers in the 80s. Also, I saw Smokey and the Bandit at a drive-in theater and I was in a black Trans-Am! When I used to drive to school in my orange 1969 Camaro I'd tell people I only drove it because the Trans-Am was in the shop because the Trans-Am was really in the shop. I remember when Space Invaders was cutting edge video game technology and you had to go to the arcade and put a quarter in the machine to play.

I watched Friday the 13th on Betamax. Have any of you ever seen a Betamax video? Am I speaking a foreign language here? Having a flat tire and then finding out your spare was also flat meant WALKING to the nearest store and getting change for a dollar to use the PAY PHONE. Hell, I remember when WalMart promoted "Buy American" and was actually a benefit to the economy. I can remember people thinking WalMart was nothing but a small town chain and would never be able to compete with Sears and JCPenney in medium and major markets. I remember when the first class postage rate was 8 cents, now it's 49 cents and I only know that because i happened to mail the first letter I've mailed in about ten years just yesterday.

I remember drinking water from a well dug in your own back yard because you had to live in the city limits, a whopping five miles away, to get that high-falutin' city water pumped directly to your house. I saw the original Star Wars the first weekend of its release and I was 12 years old. I remember my uncle being a hippie and faking a leg injury to avoid being drafted and sent to Vietnam. I remember my mother also being a hippie and she doesn't remember it. [none] I remember Elvis and Bruce Lee being alive, as well as Evel Knievel and he was a big fucking deal. One Christmas I thought it was awesome that I got a Stretch Armstrong and a home chemistry set. A few months later poor Stretch perished in a mysterious chemical explosion. I remember the early days of Disco and somebody still owes the world an apology for that shit.

Have any of you ever played a 45 rpm record or an 8 Track tape? I've seen $500 and $1000 bills actually being used. Have you ever had an RC Cola, a Kick Cola, a Moon Pie or a Goo Goo Cluster? The first time I ever saw Morgan Freeman or Bill Cosby was on The Electric Company which came on right after Sesame Street and I watched both for the first few years on a BLACK AND WHITE TELEVISION. I vaguely remember the moon landings and Watergate. I remember the Iran Hostage Crisis being the biggest political topic for over a year. I remember the real Charlie's Angels and I owned the iconic Farrah Fawcett poster. I remember the Fonz before he jumped the shark. How many of you would even know what i was talking about if I said Petticoat Junction and Sam Drucker being a character on multiple TV shows decades before John Munch?

Young people-nostalgia-LOL. [none]
__
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

What was Abe Lincoln like?
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

Tall.
__
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Did the dinosaurs have feathers or not?