Orson Welles' "The Other Side of the Wind" Is Being Edited For Real This Time

Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Orson Welles' "The Other Side of the Wind" Is Being Edited For Real This Time

Post by Raxivace »

http://www.wellesnet.com/other-side-of- ... lles-film/

About damn time. Pretty mind boggling to think he has a new film coming out this century. Glad to see Netflix pulling through here.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Re: Orson Welles' "The Other Side of the Wind" Is Being Edited For Real This Time

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

Wow, kinda amazing that Netflix is doing this instead of, say, Criterion.
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." -- Carl Jung
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: Orson Welles' "The Other Side of the Wind" Is Being Edited For Real This Time

Post by Raxivace »

I would have expected Criterion myself, especially with all of the Welles releases they've been doing within the last year or so.

I seem to recall rumors of Netflix being interested in TOSOTW, though why exactly I've never understood. They can't expect something like that to bring in a bunch of new subscribers, though I guess it might work as a prestige thing like their funding of Beasts of No Nation.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Joseph McBride wrote a nice article about his time on the film and what Welles was attempting stylistically.

One of the most interesting things about The Other Side of the Wind was that it sounds like Welles wasn't interested in expanding on his more famous classical stylings, but pushing the techniques from F For Fake into a more radical extreme. Should be interesting when combined with satire on the then young New Hollywood era, though the people having to figure out how to edit this thing have a far more difficult job than even the Touch of Evil restoration was.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »