Imagine someone just waking up from a coma to discover Trump is president

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Imagine someone just waking up from a coma to discover Trump is president

Post by Cassius Clay »

lol
OpiateOfTheMasses
Global Moderator

Re: Imagine someone just waking up from a coma to discover Trump is president

Post by OpiateOfTheMasses »

Reminded me of:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0301357/

It's a film where an East German man's mother comes out of a coma, but whilst she was in the coma the Berlin Wall comes down and Germany has started the process of re-unifying. The doctors tell him that he can't let her know what's happening as her heart is very frail and any shock might kill her so he has to fake her living in communist Germany as the world around her changes.

Anyway - long explanation to say... can you imagine trying to do something similar in America and trying to hide Trump's presidency from anyone?
You can't make everyone happy. You are not pizza.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

phe_de
Ultra Poster

Post by phe_de »

OpiateOfTheMasses wrote:Reminded me of:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0301357/

It's a film where an East German man's mother comes out of a coma, but whilst she was in the coma the Berlin Wall comes down and Germany has started the process of re-unifying. The doctors tell him that he can't let her know what's happening as her heart is very frail and any shock might kill her so he has to fake her living in communist Germany as the world around her changes.

Anyway - long explanation to say... can you imagine trying to do something similar in America and trying to hide Trump's presidency from anyone?
I wouldn't even try. I believe it's not worse than someone falling asleep in a British colony, only to wake up in the United States of America. Like Rip van Winkle.
And the movies where someone tries to hide the truth to a person who was asleep for a long while have been around for a while. Like Louis de Funès "Hibernatus", where his wife's (in the movie) grandfather wakes up after 65 years of being frozen. In the end, the comatose character learns about the present, also in Goodbye Lenin.
Common sense is another word for prejudice.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I was actually wondering if it's possible for someone to be so oblivious to what's going on in the world(like, all they care about is partying or some shit) that they are unaware that Trump is President.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

Not necessarily partying. They might also be old and/or illiterate and/or living in some extremely rural town where they have no idea what's happening in the news.

On a slight tangent, my mother once had a student whose dad hid his mom's death from him for about two years, because it was her dying wish. He was about 10 or 11 at the time, and she didn't want him to be traumatized by her death and have that affect his studies, especially with a major exam coming up that would determine high school placing. So for two years his dad pretended that she was working overseas and too busy to chat or visit, and only broke the truth after the exam.

All that time he might have been missing his mom and wondering why she didn't talk to him and looking forward for her to return; and then to be told "oh, she's been dead two years." I hope the kid has a good therapist. That story messed me up for ages.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Yeah, I considered circumstances where people were simply unable to follow the news. I was thinking of people who are able to but choose not to because of their lifestyle, and how funny that would be...especially if they're familiar with Trump already.

I can understand not wanting to tell your kid that they're mom died, but Christ...
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

https://streamable.com/g80g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

Gendo wrote:This:

[youtube]https://youtube.com/watch?v=Xua4BlV9LCg[/youtube]

I laughed