Best Disney Princess

Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Best Disney Princess

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

So, Screen Junkies a couple weeks back had a ranking of Disney princesses. They included the official 11 members of the Disney Princess franchise as well as Elsa and Moana. Why they excluded Anna is beyond me. Here are their rankings:

I decided to do my own, because quite frankly, their rankings are bullshit, and not just because of their exclusion of Anna. Admittedly, so are mine but I think are far more in line with their criteria (though Sarah has good taste putting Rapunzel second on her list).

1. Rapunzel
2. Moana
3. Mulan
4. Tiana
5. Elsa
6. Pocahontas
7. Ariel
8. Anna
9. Belle
10. Jasmine
11. Merida
12. Cinderella
13. Aurora (Sleeping Beauty)
14. Snow White.

Please note, my rankings are based on movie alone (which is why Jasmine is so low). It was a tie between Moana & Rapunzel, but went to Rapunzel because she is an actual princess character and Moana cast aside the Princess title. How would you rank the princesses based on a cumulative score on royal lineage, sidekick, singing/themesong, intelligence, independence, relatability, and talent?
Last edited by Unvoiced_Apollo on Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Re: Best Disney Princess

Post by maz89 »

1. Belle
2. Ariel
3. Pocahontas
4. Mulan
5. Aurora*
6. Cinderella
7. Elsa
8. Snow White
9. Anna
10. Rapunzel
11. Jasmine
12. Tiana

I've ranked them on the basis of how memorable I thought they were as characters as well as the overall quality of the movie they were in. Top 3 are interchangeable, really.

We have quite different lists... I don't know who Moana or Merida are.

*You ranked her 13th so it explains why you'd call her Sleeping Beauty rather than her actual name. [laugh]
"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose"
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

Man, not a lot of Jasmine love.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

maz89 wrote:1. Belle
2. Ariel
3. Pocahontas
4. Mulan
5. Aurora*
6. Cinderella
7. Elsa
8. Snow White
9. Anna
10. Rapunzel
11. Jasmine
12. Tiana

I've ranked them on the basis of how memorable I thought they were as characters as well as the overall quality of the movie they were in. Top 3 are interchangeable, really.

We have quite different lists... I don't know who Moana or Merida are.

*You ranked her 13th so it explains why you'd call her Sleeping Beauty rather than her actual name. [laugh]
I know her name. The issue is "Sleeping Beauty" is just far more accessible as a reference than "Aurora".

Also, your list is bad and you should feel bad [razz]. Seriously though, yours was based on memory and how much you like movie. It's fine to do it that way. My list is based an 7 criteria, which are still subject to my biases.

Merida is from Pixar's Brave and Moana is from their newest movie...Moana. Moana overseas may go by Vaiana.
Monk wrote:Man, not a lot of Jasmine love.
As I said, the list is based on movie alone:

Jasmine tried to be independent and happens?

She has no idea that it costs money to gain goods and nearly has her hand chopped off. As next in line, you'd think she'd know about her country'slaws. So she took a real hit on her intelligence.

As for independence, she doesn't have any power as the princess, being outranked by the grand vizier. She has to be rescued by Aladdin. She gets imprisoned by Jafar, forcing her into an even sexier harem outfit.

She also took some hits on her sidekick and song. Rajah is a tiger that really contributes nothing and is in the background at best. Her only song is "A Whole New World", which is more Aladdin's song than it is hers.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

^Haha, that was way too much criteria for me to absorb - I would have needed to make an excel sheet and apply percentages and weightages for each criteria. So I just did it in the way that would take me the least amount of time. [laugh]
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Monk wrote:Man, not a lot of Jasmine love.
Because the brightest idea she ever had was to kiss Jafar.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

maz89 wrote:^Haha, that was way too much criteria for me to absorb - I would have needed to make an excel sheet and apply percentages and weightages for each criteria. So I just did it in the way that would take me the least amount of time. [laugh]
I did use a spreadsheet. I didn't bother to use weights. I just used a 1-3 scale for royal lineage and 1-5 for everything else.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

Kiara?
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Never heard of Kiara. Did you mean Kida from Atlantis? She's neither part of the official lineup or part of a musical (Merida fulfills the first quote Elsa, Moana, and Anna fulfill the second).

That said, using my 7 criteria, she would be ranked between Ariel and Pocahontas

[Edit]I see. Kiara is a DVDisney princess...and an animal. So doubly disqualified.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

1 Ariel
2 Belle
3 Rapunzel
Elsa and Jasmine were alright, I guess. The rest of them had shitty movies so they lose.

To be fair I haven't seen Moana or Pocahontas.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

I'm too tired to rank them but Belle has always been my favourite princess. Moana is now very high up there and I have a lot of time for Jasmine and Mulan. I will not hear seditious anti-Jasmine sentiment and I certainly won't hear anything against Rajah.
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

aels wrote:I'm too tired to rank them but Belle has always been my favourite princess. Moana is now very high up there and I have a lot of time for Jasmine and Mulan. I will not hear seditious anti-Jasmine sentiment and I certainly won't hear anything against Rajah.

Jasmine is great when you include her TV appearances, but Theatrical Movie Jasmine alone? Not so much.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

Aels is right, as always [none]