that time when Satanists have the moral high ground

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

that time when Satanists have the moral high ground

Post by Derived Absurdity »

http://religiondispatches.org/satanists ... -spanking/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quote:
Hopefully, our billboard will serve as a daily reminder to the citizens there that they live in a barbaric backwater town where dysfunctional and possibly sexually disturbed middle-aged men may titillate their depraved impulses by violently spanking teenaged girls
[laugh] [laugh] [laugh] fuckin' preach
OpiateOfTheMasses
Global Moderator

Re: that time when Satanists have the moral high ground

Post by OpiateOfTheMasses »

That made me laugh!
You can't make everyone happy. You are not pizza.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I love how Fox News still goes after these people just because the word "Satan" is involved.

Everything I've heard about them makes them sound remarkably chill, and this billboard seems cool and good.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

I don't know much about Satanists, but I heard that they don't actually worship Satan, they just... say they do. Idk. They seem pretty cool from what I've heard. I don't think actual Satanists exist.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

The Satanic Temple are good peeps, they do a lot to oppose fundamentalist religious fuckwittery and they're big on personal freedoms. They generally pop up a lot around LGBT rights, access to abortion, and the separation of church and state.
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

Derived Absurdity wrote:I don't know much about Satanists, but I heard that they don't actually worship Satan, they just... say they do. Idk. They seem pretty cool from what I've heard. I don't think actual Satanists exist.

Sorry, I had to. There are/have been theistic Satanists but you generally only hear about the atheistic ones who believe that the character of Satan represents worthwhile principles.
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

You know... that's actually kind of cool. It looks like they use Satan as a model for resisting arbitrary authority, like what Satan did in the Bible or whatever when he rebelled against God. I guess that could be looked at as the ultimate example of resisting authority. I never really thought of it that way.

Maybe that's why metalheads often say they're Satanists.
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

Derived Absurdity wrote:You know... that's actually kind of cool. It looks like they use Satan as a model for resisting arbitrary authority, like what Satan did in the Bible or whatever when he rebelled against God. I guess that could be looked at as the ultimate example of resisting authority. I never really thought of it that way.

Maybe that's why metalheads often say they're Satanists.
Bingo. People need to read their Milton and Blake to grok this.
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." -- Carl Jung