Resident Evil 7: Biohazard

Place to discuss games of all types. tabletop games, video games, etc.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard

Post by Raxivace »

Anyone else been playing this?

I've been trying to clear the DLC before Persona 5 came out and have been currently banging my head against the "Ethan Must Die" mode, particularly the boss at the end. I think it runs into the problem the worst sections of Dark Souls had where I have to run through the same 10 minutes of game a million times just to try at the part I'm stuck at again, which is a bit annoying.
Last edited by Raxivace on Sat May 27, 2017 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
maz89
Ultra Poster

Re: Resident Evil 7: Biohazard

Post by maz89 »

My graphics card has died on me so I can't play GPU-intensive games for a while. :(

Surprised there's another Dark Souls fan in here; should admit I only played (and quite liked) the second part. Never could manage getting excited about the third part for some reason; it felt like a retread.
"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose"
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I haven't actually played Dark Souls 3 yet either, for similar reasons. In about a period of a year and a half I played through Dark Souls 2 and one of its "cousin" games Bloodborne (As well as having perviously played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 to completion) and it just kind of made me Souls'd out for the time being. Eventually I'll go back and play Dark Souls 3, and hopefully it will be on sale at that point lol.

I think Dark Souls 2 is underrated in a lot of ways and did some neat things, though I don't know that its highs are as high as the highs of Dark Souls 1. It doesn't have as many lows as the other games either (Though Frigid Outskirts is the worst named area between all of the games. Holy heck is it bad).
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Any ways as far as RE7 goes I really like it a lot, though I wouldn't call it one of my favorites in the series. It does a lot of things I like, and in a lot of ways I feel like its a step back even from RE1 on the PSX.

Then again I'm also one of those people that really liked RE5 and RE6 as much as the classic style games.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

I have not played it, nor indeed any Resi game but it has really caught my interest and I've watched a few videos of it. I'm way behind on my gaming these days as a result of being a pauper but I like to keep my eye out for cool stuff, even if I never play it.
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

While there's stuff I nitpick about it, RE7 does more right than it does wrong. I still ended up playing through the main game 4 entire times in the week it came out. If you're already interested in it I would recommend checking it out when the chance presents itself.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Raxivace wrote:I haven't actually played Dark Souls 3 yet either, for similar reasons. In about a period of a year and a half I played through Dark Souls 2 and one of its "cousin" games Bloodborne (As well as having perviously played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 to completion) and it just kind of made me Souls'd out for the time being. Eventually I'll go back and play Dark Souls 3, and hopefully it will be on sale at that point lol.

I think Dark Souls 2 is underrated in a lot of ways and did some neat things, though I don't know that its highs are as high as the highs of Dark Souls 1. It doesn't have as many lows as the other games either (Though Frigid Outskirts is the worst named area between all of the games. Holy heck is it bad).
Oddly, I haven't played any of the other Souls games even though I played the hell out of DS2 for about 4-5 months. I read earlier that they won't do any more Dark Souls games after the third one, which means I might pick it up too. It's always a good sign when a developer decides to pursue new ideas instead of milking an established franchise until it's wrung dry of the things that made it so good. But apparently, I should be playing the first one...

On Resident Evil, I thought the RE7 trailer signaled a pleasant and perhaps much required return to the eerie survival roots of the franchise. I thought RE5 was okay, and I don't remember playing RE6; I didn't think there was enough innovation in them, they felt like different and not necessarily compelling iterations of RE4. Then again, I've never been much of an RE fan, having played the classic series in bits and pieces (that Code X Veronica game was quite good, IIRC), and I'm not really up to date on the characters and mythology the way fans of the series are.

I'll probably prioritize Skyrim, Fallout 4 and Mass Effect Andromeda (despite the reviews on its mediocrity) though...
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

maz89 wrote:But apparently, I should be playing the first one...
You'll be missing some quality of life improvements Dark Souls 2 introduced but Dark Souls 1 still has a lot going for it.
On Resident Evil, I thought the RE7 trailer signaled a pleasant and perhaps much required return to the eerie survival roots of the franchise. I thought RE5 was okay, and I don't remember playing RE6; I didn't think there was enough innovation in them, they felt like different and not necessarily compelling iterations of RE4.
Truthfully the "eerie" aspects of RE games have always been little more than a surface level facade for campy, arcadey action (I don't say this as a negative). Even in RE1, you still fight a goofy giant snake, Jaws himself, a giant plant with tentacles, and avoid boulder traps straight out of Indiana Jones. In RE7, one of the villains straight up quotes Evil Dead at you and you have sword duel with him- except instead of swords both of you have chainsaws.

The innovation in RE5 mostly comes in how it refined RE4's mechanics. It's really obvious in the Mercenaries modes for both games. In RE5 characters have different kinds of contextual melee attacks on top of the different weapons they start with, whereas in RE4 the only real difference between playing as Leon or Ada is the weapons they have.

I don't think RE5's campaign though is quite as strong as RE4's, though playing through RE5's co-op with a buddy really went a long way for me.
Then again, I've never been much of an RE fan, having played the classic series in bits and pieces (that Code X Veronica game was quite good, IIRC)
Code Veronica is good though it runs a little long. Even in a speedrun it takes something like four hours to beat, whereas the other classic games can be run within 45-90 minutes.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Raxivace wrote:Truthfully the "eerie" aspects of RE games have always been little more than a surface level facade for campy, arcadey action (I don't say this as a negative). Even in RE1, you still fight a goofy giant snake, Jaws himself, a giant plant with tentacles, and avoid boulder traps straight out of Indiana Jones. In RE7, one of the villains straight up quotes Evil Dead at you and you have sword duel with him- except instead of swords both of you have chainsaws.
Hm. You're probably right. It isn't eerie like, say, Silent Hill (which I haven't completed sadly - can they please make a graphically upgraded Remastered version?). I do think the "arcadey action" went up several notches starting from RE4, where it became less about survival and using your ammo/meds wisely and more about just kicking the shit out of every zombie you see (a slight exaggeration but you get my point). They made RE more accessible, which isn't bad but it does undermine the "survival" aspect. From the looks of it, RE7 looked like the difficulty/survival aspect would be ramped up again - what did you think?
Raxivace wrote:The innovation in RE5 mostly comes in how it refined RE4's mechanics. It's really obvious in the Mercenaries modes for both games. In RE5 characters have different kinds of contextual melee attacks on top of the different weapons they start with, whereas in RE4 the only real difference between playing as Leon or Ada is the weapons they have.

I don't think RE5's campaign though is quite as strong as RE4's, though playing through RE5's co-op with a buddy really went a long way for me.
Yeah, I think that was it - I never really played co-op, and I didn't find RE5's single player campaign to be too memorable. On the other hand, my brothers - who are absolutely crazy about RE, having played each installment to its completion - enjoyed it immensely.
Raxivace wrote:Code Veronica is good though it runs a little long. Even in a speedrun it takes something like four hours to beat, whereas the other classic games can be run within 45-90 minutes.
Yeah, I don't remember finishing it due to the fact it was never-ending (of course, my brothers did multiple times) but I liked the mix of puzzle solving and action elements, supported by a slowly unraveling backstory revealed through letters, documents, artifacts, etc lying around the manor (as is now typical for games to dump exposition - but when it works, it works, see: The Witcher 3, which you really, really need to play, please).