I genuinely can't tell if this article is satire

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

I genuinely can't tell if this article is satire

Post by Derived Absurdity »

what a country

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/20 ... years.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OpiateOfTheMasses
Global Moderator

Re: I genuinely can't tell if this article is satire

Post by OpiateOfTheMasses »

I've seen the same story reported elsewhere so I'm guessing it's not satire.
You can't make everyone happy. You are not pizza.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

I don't think she really believes this woman is ruining the American "scam-tasy", but I don't know what part seemed like satire. It was pretty straight forward. If a 94-year-old can work twice a week at McDonald's, then nobody should retire or get social security or disability checks. The author genuinely believes this.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

The fact that she's working there isn't necessarily bad - she might genuinely enjoy it. That last paragraph though? Fuckin hell
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Post by phe_de »

BruceSmith78 wrote:I don't think she really believes this woman is ruining the American "scam-tasy", but I don't know what part seemed like satire. It was pretty straight forward. If a 94-year-old can work twice a week at McDonald's, then nobody should retire or get social security or disability checks. The author genuinely believes this.
I don't think the author believes this, I believe the author is afraid that employers might believe this.
Common sense is another word for prejudice.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

phe_de wrote:
BruceSmith78 wrote:I don't think she really believes this woman is ruining the American "scam-tasy", but I don't know what part seemed like satire. It was pretty straight forward. If a 94-year-old can work twice a week at McDonald's, then nobody should retire or get social security or disability checks. The author genuinely believes this.
I don't think the author believes this, I believe the author is afraid that employers might believe this.
No she isn't, that bit was sarcasm. She thinks she's making some kind of point that too many people in America are lazy and that's why they're on social security and disability and retiring "early", and this lady is the beacon of truth to which we should all aspire. She sucks at writing though, so her point is muddled.

I do agree with Monk that there's nothing wrong with a 94-year-old who still enjoys going to work.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

Yeah, but those are such mind-bogglingly fucked up things to believe that part of my brain instinctively rebelled and thought she was just being deadpan sarcastic the whole time.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

I'm pretty sure the last part was satire.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

I guess she needed the obligatory /s at the end of that paragraph, or maybe [none]