If you could reboot any 90's cartoon, what would you choose?

Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

If you could reboot any 90's cartoon, what would you choose?

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

So, there's been an announcement that YTV is rebooting...well...ReBoot into a live action rip off of Tron/VR troopers:

http://www.polygon.com/tv/2017/3/29/151 ... ion-reboot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rip off is probably a strong word, but from the description it is nothing like the original. The original took us inside the computer watching supposed living beings (sprites, viruses, etc.) that actually existed within the mainframe. When a user downloaded games, the characters would enter them to fight the player character. I have no idea where this live action version is coming from and doesn't seem to have anything to do with the original.

But enough of me complaining, the question is what 90's cartoon would you reboot, why, and how? Would you make it live action or animated? Would it be a movie/franchise or another tv series?

The cartoon I would choose is Pirates of Darkwater. I loved it as a kid and it was never finished. The story? A planet's oceans is being devoured by darkwater. 13 Treasures when collected can banish this darkwater. A young man and a crew of misfits go on a crew to find these treasures to save the planet, but many obstacles lie in his way, including pirates that want the treasures for their own gain.

I would reboot it as a Netflix animated series. It could find success in the same way the new Voltron did and explore some more darker aspects that might not have been focused on at the time.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Re: If you could reboot any 90's cartoon, what would you choose?

Post by BruceSmith78 »

Aeon Flux, mostly to redeem it from that shit hole of a movie. I'd put it on Netflix or a premium network so it can be unrated and violent as fuck, but I wouldn't be able to live up to the weird, dark humor of the original. Live action, a 60 minute series where Aeon dies horribly at the end of every episode.

Second choice would probably be Spawn, because I liked the concept and wanted it to be good, but it failed. I'd keep it animated, and do a movie franchise with 3 to 5 feature-length films.
vnufeld
Frequenter

Re: If you could reboot any 90's cartoon, what would you choose?

Post by vnufeld »

For me, probably something from the Dini DC verse or Disney's Gargoyles.