Raxivace Played BioShock Infnite, And Then Both He and maz89 Played Other Video Games But Not Together

Place to discuss games of all types. tabletop games, video games, etc.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: Raxivace Played BioShock Infnite, And Then Both He and maz89 Played Other Video Games But Not Together

Post by Raxivace »

maz89 wrote:Is Evil Within as scary as the first REs or Silent Hill? Survival horror games with jump scares and low inventory of weapons/meds used to terrify me as a kid. Still does. I think.
No but I didn't think those games were scary either tbh. I will say maintaining ammo and supplies seems harder in Evil Within than Resident Evil or Silent Hill, since those games just throw weapons and ammo and health at you.

Stealth and stealth kills are also an important part of Evil Within 1 & 2 (And weren't quite things in the older Resident Evil and Silent Hill games), to the point its honestly a little overpowered in TEW2. There are definitely points where you have to straight up fight guys though, and stealth won't help you there. The first game could be a bit schizophrenic about this- like the opening section of the game doesn't give you guns and requires you to sneak around, but there are other times where you fighting waves of dudes in an arena, some which of can insta-kill you with a single attack.

TEW2 doesn't seem to have a lot of traps either, and well the first game had a lot of Saw bullshit designed to kill you- my favorite were treasure chests booby-trapped with explosives if you opened them too quickly. If you opened them slowly and then immediately shut them again it would defuse the bomb.

This is all an elongated way of saying that TEW1 kind of fuckin' hates you the player for even daring to try and overcome its bullshit, but that also made it a fun and interesting experience IMO. TEW2 seems more friendly in general, though you can still get fucked up if you approach things in a bad or dumb way.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: Raxivace Played BioShock Infnite, And Then Both He and maz89 Played Other Video Games But Not Together

Post by Raxivace »

Lmao Evil Within 2 has a sidequest that rewards you with a fucking ghost that haunts you throughout the game.

Every so often it will just appear and then its time to run lol.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

There's a PS Plus sale going on and during it I purchased the third entry of a certain series.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

About damn time! Now I don't want to be hearing about how you rushed through the whole thing in, like, 50 hours the way you normally do. There will be a quiz afterwards.
"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose"
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

There are other games I'm going to play first but I am committed now to playing Witcher 3 now that I own a copy.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Your initial forecast of early 2018 was surprisingly accurate.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Yeah right now my plan is something like this, as far as console games go:

The Evil Within 2 (Which is taking a bit longer than I expected, but I'm getting close to finished)
Haunted Castle (Lol)
Resident Evil: Dead Aim (Should be pretty quick. Game is only a few hours long if the internet is to be believed)
Silent Hill 3 (Shouldn't be too bad)
.hack//G.U. Last Recode (Will probably take a long ass time since its 4 games mushed together)
The Drakengard trilogy (May also take a long ass time)
The Witcher 3

So yeah, early 2018 is probably where it'll end up unless I change my mind and put Witcher before .hack and/or Drakengard, and there isn't a 0% chance of that. If Witcher 3 was short I probably would just do that but from what I hear its not.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Maz do you have any opinions on the NeoGAF drama? It seems like the place is suddenly and finally going away.

I wish it were being done under different circumstances, but I can't say I'm too upset by the forums themselves falling apart. OTOH it was one of the last major traditional internet forums left, and while I personally didn't like the place much losing it on top of IMDb earlier this year is significant in its own way.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

I didn't even know what was going on until you mentioned it here. Geez, and I came across some post he made in 2012 about grabbing some chick's ass because he felt stupid for buying her a drink. WTF? How is that an appropriate way to make up for your regret over buying her a 2 euro drink? And then he goes out of his way to ban anyone who contests his shitty behaviour. If I'd known about this sooner, I'd have stayed away from that toxic place.

This Weinstein shitstorm has really encouraged the victims to step forward. I'm glad.

Anyway, fuck Neogaf for not ever getting back to me on my registration, lol.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I had an account there that I used to post in a thread about Lost a couple of times, but the more I read the rest of the forum the more I found the general attitude it fostered to be annoying, even before I learned about the owner's sexual assault allegations within the last day. Dude does seem like he has a history of shit like this, so fuck him.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I finished Evil Within 2. Very fun game overall.

I'm playing Resident Evil: Dead Aim now. It's set on a boat. It's like the fifth Resident Evil game I've played to have a boat setting. What's with these games and fucking boats?
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Boats are scary. An island without any of the pretty nature. That's why.

Also, surprise surprise: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1452075" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I mean I get that but even with that in mind these games have a lot of fucking boats. It's a little ridiculous!

There's been at least two Resident Evil games sat on spooky islands too come to think of it...
maz89 wrote:Also, surprise surprise: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1452075" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good on all those members calling bullshit on Evilore. I'm half tempted to dig up my old password and join them.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Haha, I know you know but I thought I'd answer your semi-rhetorical question anyway.

Man, I find it funny how the ones who haven't held back in their criticism have been outright banned. And he has the nerve to call the off-topic section 'toxic'. Hilarious.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Anyways I finished Resident Evil: Dead Aim. Its just flatout one of the worst Resident Evil games. The shooting feels bad, what little story there is just a watered down bad version of Leon and Ada's story in Resident Evil 2, and the environments are boring and pitch black more often than not. Even the inventory management is super boring, and the core classic Resident Evil gameplay is like based around managing your damn items.

Like its only two hours long but it took me like a week to play through since its just not at all engaging.

The baffling thing about it is that the company that made Dead Aim wasn't actually Capcom but smaller now defunct company called Cavia, who would go on to make the original NieR of all things and I loved the hell out of that game.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

My account at Neogaf got validated. [none]
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

maz89 wrote:My account at Neogaf got validated. [none]
lmao
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I've been playing Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War on the side and while its fun and the story is cool for a mid-90's SNES game, the maps here are fucking ridiculously huge.

^This is what a map looks like in a modern Fire Emblem game. It's chapter two from Fire Emblem: Awakening. Pretty straightforward, can be cleared in a few rounds.

This fucking behemoth is so huge I can't even directly post the image here. This is Genealogy's second chapter and it took me multiple sittings to clear. Like, an entire day's affair of running back and forth to clear different objectives, seize different castles etc. Most Fire Emblems have you only seizing one castle per stage if at that (Some just have you clearing out a few enemies, like in the Awakening map above), this one has you going after fucking five castles on top of racing to prevent villages in the middle of the map from being burned down. It's the second stage of the game!

It's kind of frustrating to play. On the one hand, more than any other game I've played in the series so far it really does give the feeling that what you're doing is conquering entire countries and the story is kind of specifically about how your asshole main character is increasingly dragged further and further into imperialistic dynasty building until the point he doesn't quite understanding why he's even doing any of this anymore so the map arguably ties into the story really well.

It's an interesting game but man.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

I'm playing Skyrim.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Did you find all five of those elder scrolls yet? That game is pretty big so it must be taking a while.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

I haven't really even started the main quests. Just skill grinding so I can become an unstoppable force and annihilate everyone. 46 hours in.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

https://twitter.com/KayinAmoh/status/92 ... D15%23pti9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

wtf [laugh]
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Evil Within 2 is an important game that teaches many important life lessons.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

I didn't realize I'd been skill-grinding in Skyrim for... 90 hours. Now I have a superbeing who can demolish dragons in a few seconds on legendary difficulty. I should feel good about this, and I do.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I tend not to do a whole lot of level grinding in RPG's.

In some games I even purposely keep my characters restricted to Level 1. [evil8]
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

I trust that is the reason why you stay away from them.

Btw, Witcher 3 doesn't have skill grinding, thankfully. There is ofcourse 'experience' but that is earned from doing all kinds of missions - rather than spend shitloads of time making weapons at the blacksmith or enchanting them at the enchanting table.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Dunno if anyone cares but here are my thoughts on Xenoblade 2 after having played it a few hours.

-Combat is more involved than the first game, which is a huge plus.
-You gain EXP from regular monster killing but bonus EXP you selectively apply to your characters by sleeping at an inn FF15 style, which fixes that major problem the first game had.
-Tone of the game seems goofier than the first game but that's a plus for me.
- Sidequests are somehow worse than the first game's. Xenblade had a million boring fetch quests, and while it seems like there are less sidequests in Xenoblade 2 they're still fetchquests except now they have multiple steps. Fetch quests are boring as fuck to begin with, so why double down on them and delay getting any kind of reward from the work? Why is grinding treasure spots for rare item drops that you'll just hand to an NPC supposed to be fun?
-There's a gacha system. In a mainline Switch game. That shit is supposed to be for like, free-to-play iOS games, why is it in a console release? You're not even able to pay for more drops or anything, so I'm confused as to why this system is even here if it isn't for Monolith to make a few extra bucks off of people.
-Maybe the worst lip-syncing in a 2017 game, whether you're using English or Japanese voices. Seriously. I'm also playing a visual novel right now that has better lip-syncing.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

I have no idea what Xenoblade is but I read your comments on it anyway and I don't think I will play it anytime soon. Or ever. [none]
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I mean I am liking the game well enough so far otherwise and its possible that at least the lip syncing thing could be fixed in a patch of some kind, but people treated Xenoblade 1 as if it was the Jesus of JRPG's and I found it to be pretty flawed. Xenoblade 2 fixed some of the issues I had with the first game but actually made one of the biggest problems I had with it even worse (The nature of the sidequests). Very much a two steps forward, one step back kind of thing.