Songs where people completely missed the point.

CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Songs where people completely missed the point.

Post by CashRules »

It's been forty years and white people still don't get it. I used to hear idiots singing along with this song completely oblivious to the fact they were parodying themselves.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
Gendo
Site Admin

Re: Songs where people completely missed the point.

Post by Gendo »

I don't know how many people get this wrong, but if you only listen to the chorus, you think it's a patriotic song; when really it's an anti-government war protest song.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

You can blame Kenny Rogers himself and those horrible made for TV movies for screwing with some people's perception of this one. But even before the first movie a lot of people got it wrong. The song has absolutely nothing to do with poker or any form of gambling. It's a song about the hurdles faced in life. The gambler character uses poker terminology as allegories. He also dies in the last verse, something almost everybody seems to miss.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

I always assumed that one was just obvious; the allegory is pretty thick.

Fun fact, I knew the Johnny Cash version of that song well before I heard the Kenny Rogers one. I always thought of it as a Cash song. Just looked it up to learn that neither of them wrote it; it's by Don Schlitz (who's from Durham apparently).
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

A song about an obsessive stalker that's also one of the most played wedding/romance songs ever. [gonemad]
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." -- Carl Jung
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Eva's back!
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

For now. [cool]
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." -- Carl Jung
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

I'd add Wu Tang's CREAM to the list. If you pay attention to the lyrics, it's a scathing indictment of how cruel and heartless the world of capitalism can be (and it speaks about racism as well). I remember listening to it in my early 20's when I was living paycheck to paycheck, alone with no safety net since I had completely cut my family out of my life, my job hanging by a thread, and thinking of all the people who had taken advantage of me, and it really resonated.

A lot of people just hear the hook and think it's a celebration of wealth and excess.