Blade Runner 2049

Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Blade Runner 2049

Post by Raxivace »

I think it's looking pretty good. The holographic women kind of give me Macross Plus vibes.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
OpiateOfTheMasses
Global Moderator

Re: Blade Runner 2049

Post by OpiateOfTheMasses »

That looks pretty damn cool...
You can't make everyone happy. You are not pizza.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

I like Villeneuve enough and think he's great at rendering tone, but I don't see that in the trailer. Because it's a trailer, so it will, of course, succumb to terrible cliches and sell a moody neo-noir sci-fi film as an action blockbuster with a cool sheen... riiight?
"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose"
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

IIRC the trailers for Arrival tried to sell that as an action film too, and that of course ended up being anything but. I'd have to imagine that Blade Runner 2049 is being advertised in a similar way.

The Atari logo certainly seems to add a bit of sardonicism to the whole thing.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Ever since 'Drive', Gosling has been doing this sort of super minimalist, stoic acting(when he plays action heroes or sensitive tough guys)...where he does this intense sad-eyed thing coupled with a weird, subtle smile. I think it's meant to convey the idea that he only appears stoic but that there is so much more going on inside. It worked for the character in Drive but now he does it all the time. Casey Affleck does a similar thing(and it worked when he played Robert Ford in Jesse James). I don't know how I feel about it. I do know that only white dudes could get away with that kind of bullshit.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Cassius Clay wrote:Ever since 'Drive', Gosling has been doing this sort of super minimalist, stoic acting(when he plays action heroes or sensitive tough guys)...where he does this intense sad-eyed thing coupled with a weird, subtle smile. I think it's meant to convey the idea that he only appears stoic but that there is so much more going on inside. It worked for the character in Drive but now he does it all the time. Casey Affleck does a similar thing(and it worked when he played Robert Ford in Jesse James). I don't know how I feel about it. I do know that only white dudes could get away with that kind of bullshit.
[laugh] Man, I was thinking about exactly THIS on my drive back from work today: how I'm not too excited to see yet another Gosling character act all mysterious and quiet and laconic throughout a film. Not a fan of this casting choice. (I'll give credit to Casey Affleck for his turn in Manchester though, where the stoic thing fits quite well and seems earned, and it helps that it's contrasted with his happier days in the past.)
"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose"
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

To be fair Trevante Rhodes pulls off the stoic yet deeply soulful/emotional thing pretty well in 'Moonlight'. But it's also a key part of the plot.
Faustus5
Super Poster

Post by Faustus5 »

On a budget of 200 million or so, this movie is going to lose money left and right. You don't spend that much cash on a sequel to a cult film that many ordinary ticket buyers probably either never heard of or forgot long ago. The first one, one should remember, was a box office dud.

Having said, that, given the director, I think it will be great and I look forward to it. But the studio was nuts to authorize a budget that large.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Cassius Clay wrote:To be fair Trevante Rhodes pulls off the stoic yet deeply soulful/emotional thing pretty well in 'Moonlight'. But it's also a key part of the plot.
I'd say a number of Michael K. Williams roles are like that too.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Just got out of the movie- it was awesome and Gosling did a great job.