Twin Peaks Season 3: :-) ALL

Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: Twin Peaks Season 3: :-) ALL

Post by Raxivace »

Glad to see someone else someone else digging the new season. It was quite the ride week to week. Really looking forward to finding the time to give it a rewatch myself at some point.

My guess at this point is Sarah is the girl who swallowed the bug, though I'm not sure its entirely definitive in the show itself.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Faustus5
Super Poster

Post by Faustus5 »

Raxivace wrote:Glad to see someone else someone else digging the new season. It was quite the ride week to week. Really looking forward to finding the time to give it a rewatch myself at some point.
I can't wait to finish the last disk later this week so I can finally come back and read this thread in its entirety!
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I can't believe its already been a year since Season 3 of this aired...nothing in modern television has felt as fresh to me as this did.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

I agree. It feels as though we were just discussing the show... how quickly time has flown since that mind-blowing finale.
"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose"
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

maz89 wrote:I agree. It feels as though we were just discussing the show... how quickly time has flown since that mind-blowing finale.
I know, right?

I still haven't heard any take on Season 3 that feels very...complete. As weird and bizarre of a show as it is, it doesn't seem like any kind of complete deep dive has really happened yet (And it might require re-interpreting seasons 1 and 2 and FWWM as well to make sense of it).

Someone linked me to a few articles about Season 3 that might be interesting. Haven't really dug into them yet might myself, but thought might want a look too.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

I'll look into those. One review I very much liked - that was actually written mere hours after the finale aired - is this one: http://www.lostinthemovies.com/2017/09/ ... -past.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

maz89 wrote:I'll look into those. One review I very much liked - that was actually written mere hours after the finale aired - is this one: http://www.lostinthemovies.com/2017/09/ ... -past.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For something written so quickly after the show ended its a good piece.

I like question they raise about the "What year is it?" line:
What could that possibly mean in a show that hasn't seemed especially concerned with fixing temporal continuity?
Its interesting because the way the show starts way back in season 1, there seems to have been a loose interest in mapping the progression of time in the series. Each episode for the first season and a half or so roughly corresponds to the passage of one day in Twin Peaks, Cooper occasionally comments on what the specific time is to his tape recorder etc.

On the other hand this is in contrast with all of the signifiers in the show- the fashion, the references, hell even multiple actors seem to be right out of 40's' and 50's Hollywood noirs and melodramas and even westerns. As the series goes on this gets increasingly distorted and convoluted, and especially in The Return where we completely lose a sense of time, beyond the broader sense of knowing we are in fact in the prophecized future Laura spoke of waaaayyy back when in Cooper's dream, at the story's beginning.

This is to say nothing of when literal time travelling becomes part of the plot, as in FWWM and The Return. What year is it, indeed.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

I also thought it was very eloquent given how soon it was posted after the finale. I was struggling to find words to explain my thoughts for days after the finale, so I was kinda amazed to see emphasis on all the right things in that review.

The "what year is it?" line has to be one of the most chilling in Lynch's entire filmography. God, what a masterpiece that final episode and that climax. I wonder if there's even a meta-aspect to the "what year is it" line. Something about the audience's nostalgic obsession with the show and the time that has passed since that obsession began. Cooper's obsession is ours too, and we keep coming back for answers and solutions we will never find.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

maz89 wrote:I wonder if there's even a meta-aspect to the "what year is it" line. Something about the audience's nostalgic obsession with the show and the time that has passed since that obsession began. Cooper's obsession is ours too, and we keep coming back for answers and solutions we will never find.
It would be an interesting way of interpreting the weird Chalfont/Tremond reveal right before the Cooper line too- that its postmodernism in the sense of the Chalfonts and Tremonds being "empty signifiers", with the way they seem to point at something without really pointing at or meaning anything at all (Though I don't know what to make of the woman that Cooper and "Laura" talk to being the real, actual IRL person that owns that house through this lens).

Perhaps this could be a refutation of our obsession with "answers" and puzzle box narratives and the like- Lost, Nolan movies, that kind of thing.