There's An Animated Castlevania Show on Netflix And It's Only Kind of Okay

Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

There's An Animated Castlevania Show on Netflix And It's Only Kind of Okay

Post by Raxivace »

This is a weird time to be adapting a cult video game series that hasn't been popular for quite a few years, though I think it looks pretty stylish so it could be a good watch. Kind of reminds me of that anime sequel to Highlander of all things.
Last edited by Raxivace on Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: There's An Animated Castlevania Show Coming To Netflix And it Actually Looks Like It Could Be Good

Post by Raxivace »

The season came out on Netflix today. It's only 4 episodes and kind of odd. It's a weird adaptation of the NES game Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (With some of the backstory of Symphony of the Night thrown in). That game was a campy platformer about killing Frankensteins and Draculas, and this adaptation turns into into a weird Game of Thrones style religious conflict between the Church, some magic cult that fucking hates the written word and can maybe see the future, and uh Dracula and his army of hellspawned demons that love eating priests. And also the Belmont family, who are mostly dead except for one very drunk man named Trevor.

It's a little too edgy for its own good IMO, and the first episode is genuinely kind of choppy. The second episode has a weird amount of talk about dudes having sex with goats and then later Trevor Belmont begging people not to kick his testicles. Odd creative decisions.

Episodes 3 and 4 were better and had some good action scenes, but the season ends add a weird spot and I'll be curious to see if and when it continues.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris