Songs that Speak to My "This is a Track From Sonic Adventure 2 But With the Lyrics Ripped Out, For Some Reason" Side

Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Songs that Speak to My "This is a Track From Sonic Adventure 2 But With the Lyrics Ripped Out, For Some Reason" Side

Post by Raxivace »

Actually that's the only one. When you take out the lyrics it almost becomes like, a lost Nujabes beat or something instead of the campy thing it is in-game with lyrics about treasure hunting.

The discussion about FF7 music in the Game of Thrones thread got me wondering about what other game music people here like. I'd love to see y'all share some.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Gendo
Site Admin

Re: Songs that Speak to My "This is a Track From Sonic Adventure 2 But With the Lyrics Ripped Out, For Some Reason" Side

Post by Gendo »

This was what my wife marched down the aisle to at our wedding:

Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: Songs that Speak to My "This is a Track From Sonic Adventure 2 But With the Lyrics Ripped Out, For Some Reason" Side

Post by Raxivace »

I've never thought of the FF1 theme being used in that way before but it seems like it would fit well, especially with that particular rendition.

I hope it was a nice ceremony. :)
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

I've been out of gaming too long to post anything recent, but back in the day I loved the soundtracks to Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy, Zelda (mostly Ocarina of Time), and the Guilty Gear franchise. I don't recall many specific tracks, except a few from Guilty Gear that I used to love playing on guitar:

Also, this Dream Theater track always reminded me of a track from Ocarina of Time (especially the riff that starts at 0:39), but I never could remember which one. I think it was one from the water level, but I'm not sure. If anyone knows what I'm thinking of you can let me know and collect 100 Geek Points:

"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." -- Carl Jung
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I'm not really sure what OoT song that would be reminding you of. This is the Water Temple theme fwiw:

Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

^ Yeah, that's definitely not it. Good possibility I'm misremembering the level or even the game.
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." -- Carl Jung
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

I loved the soundtrack in the Mass Effect trilogy and Witcher 3 but I'd be hard-pressed to choose a single track (I fault bad memory).

Here's some Mass Effect, I dig the 80s vibe. Start at 8:20. Or 20:10.

Here's Witcher 3, although to be fair, the score works even better when matched with the gorgeous visuals.

Don't know if this counts but I also loved driving across the desert landscapes in GTA San Andreas with Lynyrd Skynyrd's Free Bird playing on the radio.
"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose"
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Eva Yojimbo wrote:^ Yeah, that's definitely not it. Good possibility I'm misremembering the level or even the game.
Yeah OoT music isn't really intense in that way- it's a lot of like, lighter more acoustic stuff. You're probably thinking of a different game.
maz89 wrote:Here's some Mass Effect, I dig the 80s vibe. Start at 8:20. Or 20:10.
I couldn't really get into the Mass Effect games but those two tracks you mentioned are nice. Kind of reminds me of the score to Drive.

I only sampled a bit of that Witcher 3 video but it seems nice. Perhaps if I ever play the game I'll see it in context.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

One game I really liked was a PS2 JRPG called Tales of Legendia. It was a budget title even by Tales standards, but one area it really stood out in was its music. In particular the orchestrated versions of the songs are something special, which is what I'm posting below.

- This one in particular was probably my favorite in the game.

- The boss battle theme.

- The theme for generic encounters is pretty good too.

I'm gonna stop with those six there so I don't break the thread.
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

Raxivace wrote:
Eva Yojimbo wrote:^ Yeah, that's definitely not it. Good possibility I'm misremembering the level or even the game.
Yeah OoT music isn't really intense in that way- it's a lot of like, lighter more acoustic stuff. You're probably thinking of a different game.
It's not the heaviness, intensity, or instrumentation that reminded me of Zelda but the melody. In particular, the descending 2-note phrase at 0:49 is what really does it.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Also, best video game music ever:
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Max Payne theme was pretty good: