Wearing dresses is a life-altering decision

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Wearing dresses is a life-altering decision

Post by Anakin McFly »

https://twitter.com/kitsaoc/status/884593303316049920

That whole thread is amazing.

"He's not making a life altering decision; he's wearing a dress! Does your life alter every time you put on pants?!"

[none]

Elsewhere on that thread, outraged people are insisting that 8 years old is far too young to decide to wear a dress.

@MistyPassions: "The fact kids aren't considered legal adults until the age of 18 but can pick a dress at 8 is very disturbing"
"This should be an individual adult, personal decision. Not a parent who isn't a qualified professional allowing dresses."
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Re: Wearing dresses is a life-altering decision

Post by Derived Absurdity »

God, reading some psychotic right-wing asshat's twitter is awful and horrifying. The stupid shit that gets tens of thousands of retweets, my God.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

He was a famous enough actor (twice Oscar nominated) that it's been picked up by various news outlets, which may have contributed to that tweet's popularity. For balance's sake, he's addressed this, claiming it wasn't about homophobia but that "'Some children can be ruthlessly cruel to children who are simply different in any way. I humbly suggest making your child a target is unwise."

Which I can definitely empathise with, but I'm not convinced of his sincerity, not least because his tweet is exactly what made that child a target.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

I was actually talking about that KitsaO dipshit, not the OP. I was just reading her twitter thread and she was retweeting some staggeringly stupid stuff that kept getting tens of thousands of retweets.

And that actor guy is full of shit. If he was concerned about bullying he would have said that. It seems clear that his tweet was implying that his parents were psychologically damaging him. I mean, I guess if he was concerned about bullying, you could sort of read that into his tweet, sort of, if you wanted to try... but I'm not going to because I'm tired of giving those people the benefit of the doubt.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

ah. ok. *goes to look*

"UK: Muslim children walk the streets chanting "Allahu Akbar" -under direction of the teachers(?) chaperoning them."

...so, 'God is great'? There are a lot of churches we need to be concerned about in that case.

On the original thread I saw comments on how obviously no 'normal' boy would ever play with dolls or wear makeup, and the fact that he does is clear proof that either he's been sexually abused or his parents are forcing him to do so. *facepalm*
Islandmur
Global Moderator

Post by Islandmur »

Anakin McFly wrote:ah. ok. *goes to look*

"UK: Muslim children walk the streets chanting "Allahu Akbar" -under direction of the teachers(?) chaperoning them."

...so, 'God is great'? There are a lot of churches we need to be concerned about in that case.

On the original thread I saw comments on how obviously no 'normal' boy would ever play with dolls or wear makeup, and the fact that he does is clear proof that either he's been sexually abused or his parents are forcing him to do so. *facepalm*
My son who has fallen in love twice with girls already (at 6 lol) has played dress up with my shirts turning them into dresses, has worn my make up (i think more than i lol since i practically never do), but does not want to be a girl and is very interested in girls and he plays with dolls. I try not to stiffle him and let him do but I do ask questions and he gives me the most point on answers: dolls: mom there are also girls that i play with, my toys can't be only guys! dresses/make up: it looks nice on you, i like this blouse it's pretty and it's my favorite color or ... i'm in disguise mom!
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Post by phe_de »

Islandmur wrote:My son who has fallen in love twice with girls already (at 6 lol) has played dress up with my shirts turning them into dresses, has worn my make up (i think more than i lol since i practically never do), but does not want to be a girl and is very interested in girls and he plays with dolls. I try not to stiffle him and let him do but I do ask questions and he gives me the most point on answers: dolls: mom there are also girls that i play with, my toys can't be only guys! dresses/make up: it looks nice on you, i like this blouse it's pretty and it's my favorite color or ... i'm in disguise mom!
Sweet!

I remember when I was a kid (maybe 7 or 8 years old), I once painted my fingernails with a felt-tip marker. And I remember other kids laughing at me saying that only girls do that. And I didn't paint my fingernails after that.

I was in fact insecure as a kid (at least more than today); but what helps is supportive family and friends. So: Kudos for supporting your son. [smile]
Common sense is another word for prejudice.
Islandmur
Global Moderator

Post by Islandmur »

Weird thing is forums like these have helped me a lot in how I see things, because Haiti is very very macho but reading on rfs and here and other forums online have broadened my mind (ok i was always open minded but I just didn't think about things like kids wearing dresses and stuff like that).
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

mom there are also girls that i play with, my toys can't be only guys!
Exactly! I never understood the idea that kids would/should only play with toys if the same gender. It's what led to the weird argument that the increase in variety of Ken dolls was meant to lure boys into playing with dolls and turn them gay. The boys who want to play with dolls are content enough with Barbie, and the ones who don't aren't likely to suddenly be interested.
Last edited by Anakin McFly on Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

In the words of ThatBadAdvice, 'logically, flowers rainbows ballet unicorns dresses TOOLS BRICKS TRUCKS PANTS'. That's it, that's how you gender.
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

aels wrote:In the words of ThatBadAdvice, 'logically, flowers rainbows ballet unicorns dresses TOOLS BRICKS TRUCKS PANTS'. That's it, that's how you gender.
So girls get five things and boys only get four? Misandry!
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
aels
Global Moderator

Post by aels »

It might be 'ballet unicorns' rather than 'ballet, unicorns'. Every girl deserves a ballet unicorn.
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
The Creep
Frequenter

Post by The Creep »

CashRules wrote:
aels wrote:In the words of ThatBadAdvice, 'logically, flowers rainbows ballet unicorns dresses TOOLS BRICKS TRUCKS PANTS'. That's it, that's how you gender.
So girls get five things and boys only get four? Misandry!
It's teaching them chivalry.
The Creep
Frequenter

Post by The Creep »

aels wrote:It might be 'ballet unicorns' rather than 'ballet, unicorns'. Every girl deserves a ballet unicorn.
And every woman deserves the love... fist. [none]