UK peeps: how are we feeling about the return of THE CRYSTAL MAZE?

The Creep
Frequenter

UK peeps: how are we feeling about the return of THE CRYSTAL MAZE?

Post by The Creep »

As I'm sure all UK-based members will be aware, THE CRYSTAL MAZE recently made its long-awaited return to TV on Channel 4.

I grew up on and adored the original run, and never thought they'd be able to equal it, but I've been extremely pleasantly surprised with the results so far. I was particularly pleased to see how much effort they've put into the set designs in terms of being true to the original (something I was concerned about when I first heard of the show coming back since visual aesthetics have always been a big thing for me). They were actually able to get the same production designer back from the original, and he's completely re-designed the Futuristic Zone which I think looks awesome. Like a hybrid of some of the set designs seen in 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY and ALIEN.

The new host, Richard Ayoade, has been another revelation as far as I'm concerned. I think he's been absolutely brilliant so far. Not only is he hilarious - virtually everything that comes out of the man's mouth is pure gold - but in my eyes he has actually managed to equal original host Richard O'Brien for pure wit, uniqueness and entertainment value. Something I would never in a million years have expected myself to say when I heard the initial rumblings of the show coming back.

I'm not crazy about the first few shows being celebrity specials - though they are for a good cause. I think the show will be even better (not to mention funnier) when they start having just regular contestants on it again.

How are you all liking it?
aels
Global Moderator

Re: UK peeps: how are we feeling about the return of THE CRYSTAL MAZE?

Post by aels »

I was so excited and I have managed to miss *every* episode so far. I am hoping to catch up when my school goes on summer holidays. Preliminary thoughts are that I am tremendously fond of Richard Ayoade and that the decision to bring back Industrial rather than Ocean zone is the decision of a FOOL.
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN
OpiateOfTheMasses
Global Moderator

Post by OpiateOfTheMasses »

I think it's been excellent so far and Richard Ayoade is tremendous as the host. I too agree it would be better with "real" competitors rather than many of the C-list celebrities they've got on there though.
You can't make everyone happy. You are not pizza.
The Creep
Frequenter

Post by The Creep »

aels wrote:I was so excited and I have managed to miss *every* episode so far. I am hoping to catch up when my school goes on summer holidays. Preliminary thoughts are that I am tremendously fond of Richard Ayoade and that the decision to bring back Industrial rather than Ocean zone is the decision of a FOOL.
Yeah, the Ocean zone was pretty cool come to think of it.

But yeah, definitely catch up when you get the chance. You're missing a treat! [smile]
The Creep
Frequenter

Post by The Creep »

OpiateOfTheMasses wrote:I think it's been excellent so far and Richard Ayoade is tremendous as the host. I too agree it would be better with "real" competitors rather than many of the C-list celebrities they've got on there though.
I don't even know who half of them are!

Was I the only one desperate for Joey Essex to get a mental game? [laugh]