Apparently, Yorke thinks the BDS movement is stoopid

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Apparently, Yorke thinks the BDS movement is stoopid

Post by maz89 »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... sy-w485142

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... rt-w491769

Someone should go back in time and tell South Africa.
"Playing in a country isn't the same as endorsing its government," Yorke wrote in a note posted to Twitter. "We've played in Israel for over 20 years through a succession of governments, some more liberal than others. As we have in America. We don't endorse [Israeli Prime Minister] Netanyahu any more than Trump, but we still play in America. Music, art and academia is about crossing borders not building them, about open minds not closed ones, about shared humanity, dialogue and freedom of expression. I hope that makes it clear Ken."
Because performing in America is the same thing as performing in an apartheid state that periodically and overtly engages in ethnic cleansing, then acts cool and normal about it by having big celebrities come over under the guise of "shared humanity, dialogue and freedom of expression" until the next Operation starts. Way to miss the fucking point. [gonemad]

I know better than to expect sound political judgments from musicians, but this is fucking Radiohead and people like Roger Waters have set such a high standard that it's hard not to feel let down. And crushed like a bug in the ground.
"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose"
maz89
Ultra Poster

Re: Apparently, Yorke and other people think the BDS movement is stoopid

Post by maz89 »

May as well keep adding to this thread.

https://theintercept.com/2017/07/19/u-s ... st-israel/
But now, a group of 43 senators — 29 Republicans and 14 Democrats — wants to implement a law that would make it a felony for Americans to support the international boycott against Israel, which was launched in protest of that country's decades-old occupation of Palestine. Perhaps the most shocking aspect is the punishment: Anyone guilty of violating the prohibitions will face a minimum civil penalty of $250,000 and a maximum criminal penalty of $1 million and 20 years in prison.
So much for freedom of expression.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: Apparently, Yorke thinks the BDS movement is stoopid

Post by Raxivace »

maz89 wrote:Because performing in America is the same thing as performing in an apartheid state that periodically and overtly engages in ethnic cleansing, then acts cool and normal about it by having big celebrities come over under the guise of "shared humanity, dialogue and freedom of expression" until the next Operation starts.
Maz I have bad news for you about America.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Post by phe_de »

maz89 wrote:Because performing in America is the same thing as performing in an apartheid state that periodically and overtly engages in ethnic cleansing, then acts cool and normal about it by having big celebrities come over under the guise of "shared humanity, dialogue and freedom of expression" until the next Operation starts.
He wants to perform in Saudi-Arabia? I don't think so.
Common sense is another word for prejudice.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

Phe_de, dropping the harsh burns. He sure showed all those Saudia Arabia defenders on this board!
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

Also, wow, that Intercept article is scary as shit. I had no idea about any of that.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Raxivace wrote:
Maz I have bad news for you about America.
I'd still insist it isn't a fair comparison. Especially as there have been no international calls for a coordinated BDS movement against America (ha, as if!), which isn't in violation of numerous UN resolutions and holding a certain race of people hostage in an open air prison on their own land.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

phe_de wrote:
He wants to perform in Saudi-Arabia? I don't think so.
Well, if the money is right...