There was a flying cockroach in my bedroom last night

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

There was a flying cockroach in my bedroom last night

Post by Anakin McFly »

I spent about an hour trying to murder it or chase it out the window but it wouldn't stay still and it's incredibly difficult to whack a flying cockroach. Then it would go hide somewhere and I'd think it was gone, only for it to pop up again and surprise me.

And then it was 2am and I decided to give up and go sleep on the couch. But then I got mad that a cockroach had chased me out of my own room, so I went back. Also it's July and this is the equator and air conditioning was necessary, which meant I had to close the door, and therefore I spent all night trapped in a room with a flying cockroach and thinking about that woman who had a cockroach crawl up her nose and nest in her skull. I hear that some cockroaches only fly when they're pregnant, which meant there was a non-zero probability that this cockroach might crawl up my nose and lay eggs in my skull. [none]

It's the bravest thing I've ever done and I needed to share. [none]

I still have no idea if it's still there.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Re: There was a flying cockroach in my bedroom last night

Post by CashRules »

You need to burn down the house just to be sure.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

It's an apartment, but the neighbors should understand.

Also today I found a dead baby cockroach in my closet. My room is fastidiously neat. I don't know what they're doing here. Unless they're after food, because I learnt that cockroaches sometimes eat the flesh of living humans.
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Post by phe_de »

I once lived in a student dormitory with cockroaches in it, and the owners then had cockroach traps installed in every room. They worked; after the installation the cockroaches became less, and I never had a problem with cockroaches in my skull or food.

Another story from that time (before the traps were installed): I once saw a cockroach crawl on a kitchen desk, and debated internally whether to kill it or not. I wasn't atheist at the time and prayed to God for guidance.
And then, the heavens opened up, the cherubs played on their trumpets, and God said in a booming voice:

COCKROACHES ARE NOT MORE HARMFUL THAN HUMANS!

...ok, this last bit is an artistic embellishment on my part. What really happened was: The cockroach changed its walking direction and walked towards a dirty puddle on the desk, which I hadn't noticed before, which was obviously caused by humans, and which was bigger than any cockroach excrement could have been. I interpreted this as cockroaches not causing more damage than humans.

I let the cockroach live, and have not killed one since.
Common sense is another word for prejudice.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

Anakin McFly wrote:It's an apartment, but the neighbors should understand.
The bigger the fire, the bigger the party.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

@phe_de - I'd have preferred if the cockroach had just flown out the window (or even just out of my room), since murder is usually a last resort. (Especially since if they're pregnant the eggs/baby cockroaches will apparently sploosh everywhere.) Tbh I was primarily worried about it crawling over / into my face while I slept, rather than the damage it causes, which I agree is nothing compared to what humans do; although they also spread dangerous germs that's not good around food.

I also remember doctors saying that it's actually quite common to see patients with cockroaches that crawled into their ears. It would be terrifying enough if it were rare.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

this thread is giving me cancer
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

It's not murder if you eat it.

"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose"
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

But I'm definitely not going to eat it, so it's still murder.