This is the most illogical argument against gay marriage I've seen

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

This is the most illogical argument against gay marriage I've seen

Post by Anakin McFly »

Their entire argument is that legalizing same sex marriage will lead to a rise in straight men pretending to be women so they can rape women in bathrooms, so if you don't want women to get raped by straight men, don't let gay people get married!

I can't even [none]

https://twitter.com/sallyrugg/status/89 ... 67/photo/1
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: This is the most illogical argument against gay marriage I've seen

Post by Raxivace »

Unfortunately that isn't a new argument. Similar arguments have been used by social conservatives here in America against whatever "other" they're currently railing against. First they were afraid of black people raping white people in the bathrooms (Among other things). Then they were afraid of gay people raping straight people in the bathrooms. About a year ago they were deathly afraid that sinister transgender people would rape cisgender people in these bathrooms.

It's all nonsense of course, but a lot of fearful people fall victim to this kind of thinking because they're afraid of their kids getting hurt or whatever, and then vote for politicians that are racist/homophobic/transphobic/etc. as a result.
Last edited by Raxivace on Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

The message I get from all this is stay the fuck away from public bathrooms.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

About a year ago they were deathly afraid that sinister transgender people would rape cisgender people in these bathrooms.
Nah, they're still afraid of that, though they like to insist that they're only afraid of people pretending to be transgender to rape people. That argument doesn't even make sense, because if some guy decides to pretend to be a trans woman to sneak into the female bathrooms, that suggests that there are other women in that bathroom whom he plans to fool, but they'd probably wise up the moment he actually attacks one of them. And if it's just he and his victim alone, then... why bother pretending? I've tried to imagine how that hypothetical scenario would actually play out, and the only way it can is if the guy in question is assaulting someone while the other women stand around watching and fanning themselves in horror, unwilling to intervene because maybe he's actually a trans woman and trans women are allowed to rape people or something idk.

At most I guess it's possible that he could sneak in first and hide in a cubicle, waiting for the bathroom to empty out and then assault the next woman who comes in, but either this is a bathroom with people going in and out or a deserted one that barely anyone uses - in the former, another woman could come in at any moment and interrupt the assault; in the latter, he could be waiting forever in a toilet cubicle, which is one of the worst and most unsexy places to hang out in.

Either way, it's not the fear itself that's new so much as what this has to do with gay marriage at all, because gay men and lesbians generally aren't in the habit of pretending to be women so they can assault women. The only way that logic flow would make sense is if they think that legalising same-sex marriage will magically make most women reveal they're actually lesbian and get married to each other, leaving straight men with no option for consensual sex; or if they think that trans women are just super-gay men, in which case why would they even be interested in women?

EDIT: I read the Chinese version and it's actually maddening instead of hilarious because this time it's articulate and grammatically correct with big words and it's harder to lol
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Post by phe_de »

I hope the makers of this pamphlet never produce any "decedents".
Common sense is another word for prejudice.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

Every family produces decedents, eventually. :T

Meanwhile, wtf: http://www.news.com.au/national/politic ... 23054bb08a

Those stats aren't even true and were based off highly flawed studies that have been debunked multiple times - one was a study of children whose parents were presently living with a same sex partner, ignoring that most of these were the results of divorce or affairs - not the best for children's emotional well-being - and most weren't married let alone had raised the children as a couple. Plus the abuse might have also come from other people, like their original biological parents.

I know two same-sex couples with kids and they're some of the happiest and most well-adjusted children I know.