Identifying Nazis

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Identifying Nazis

Post by Anakin McFly »

I'm torn about how people are asking others to try and identify the people in the Charlottesville march. I have no sympathy for the Nazis, but a few were misidentified and innocent people ended up being bombarded with hate mail and death threats and stalking (including once after Shaun King blasted the wrong name out to 743k followers and didn't remove the post even after being corrected).

There's no verification process going on and it's terrifying, especially in photos where faces aren't clear or covered in shades and people are just guessing. People who had nothing at all to do with the march might end up losing their jobs or being assaulted because of this.

but I may also be projecting because I'm terrible with faces and I see photos from the march matched with people's FB profile photos and I have no idea how it's the same person.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Re: Identifying Nazis

Post by Derived Absurdity »

I think people are focusing way too much on Nazis and ignoring the more run-of-the-mill, less cartoonish, less caricatured racists that are a) much more numerous and b) are actively causing much more damage. Regular-ass Republican politicians are more of an immediate and omnipresent threat than a bunch of Nazis.

http://imgur.com/wM6ZYoG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;