So...umm...is McTapper in trouble tonight or what?

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

So...umm...is McTapper in trouble tonight or what?

Post by Cassius Clay »

There are things about Conor McGregor I can appreciate. I like his fighting style and his showmanship(though it can get a bit obnoxious)...but his fans are crazy delusional(and racist). I can't tell if Conor is really that delusional and has no idea what he's gotten himself into, or if he just wants the money and doesn't mind losing(or if he really has some secret weapon)...'cause I don't think's he's dumb. Has he really bought into all the great white hype undertones of this whole circus?

Conor is an amazing striker. I've said before that the way he moves(his timing, how loose/fluid he appears, his swagger) reminds me of Ali...as if everything is in slow motion for him, and he can easily anticipate things. But, being a great mma striker means nothing. John Wall(Wizards point guard) is probably the fastest guy in the nba...his speed is ridiculous. But I once watched a video of him challenging a professional sprinter and he got beat pretty bad. And it was almost shocking to see...expected, yet shocking. Because of course you expect a professional sprinter to destroy a non-pro, but it really puts their speed/expertise into perspective to see it play out. A lot of people are going to be shocked tonight...either way: 'cause if Conor gets a huge lucky punch in(or somehow has some secret weapon and manages to outbox Floyd) and wins, people will be shocked...but more likely Conor's fans(and the whole country of Ireland) are going to have a newfound respect for boxing when it's all over.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Re: So...umm...is McTapper in trouble tonight or what?

Post by BruceSmith78 »

It's dumb. I think McGregor and Mayweather are playing everyone for suckers. It's $99.99 on PPV to watch the greatest boxer of our time, who is well past his prime, toy with a great fighter for a while.

It's definitely a circus, and probably not worth ten bucks if you're looking for a quality boxing match, but these dudes are playing it up and cashing in. I don't think McGregor cares if he loses, since he's not a boxer. It won't affect his status in the MMA at all.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I think hyping the fight for money is always a part of the game...but that McGregor seriously wanted to win. He really thinks he gave Mayweather a good fight and his delusional fans believe the same. In reality, Mayweather walked a larger, younger man down for 10 rounds.

I still bet on McGregor just in case because the odds were crazy, but I was glad I lost because I hate McGregor's fans.
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

That fight was of course a publicity stunt that worked because the public knows shit-all about judging skill in boxing vs MMA. I only watched because I made a bet with my dad: 10:1 for a knockdown and 25:1 if McGregor won (bet was $20). I felt plenty confident. I really should've kept track of the odds and placed a huge bet on Mayweather when the odds dropped to about 5:1. That would've been stupid-easy money.
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." -- Carl Jung