good tweet

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

good tweet

Post by Derived Absurdity »

https://twitter.com/_chloi/status/909643713298567168" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Re: good tweet

Post by Cassius Clay »

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Derived Absurdity wrote:https://twitter.com/_chloi/status/909643713298567168" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's a game to a lot of these people, but I've seen this happen with non-rich, non-celebs. I recall seeing some folks upset that some popular SJW youtubers were fraternizing with anti-sjws during some youtube meetup or something. Then there was some leftish journalist lady(I think her name's Julia Ioffe) who caught some heat for snapping a goofy pic with Richard Spencer...like he was a friend of her's. It's like there's some kind of cognitive dissonance occurring...where they're so used to battling these people online that meeting them in real life is just surreal/weird...I dunno.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

Well, I know if I met a Nazi in real life I'd consider it pretty weird... I don't know if I'd punch him or whatever but I sure as hell wouldn't snap a picture with him. wtf
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

Acting like good pals with Nazis is one thing, but I'm thinking about that black dude who makes an effort to befriend KKK members and through those relationships has convinced dozens of them to renounce their beliefs and work to fight against white supremacy. While this may not apply to the examples given, in some cases (not Richard Spencer, maybe the youtubers), building relationships with the enemy is about building bridges for dialogue and hopefully getting them to change their minds, because privilege often means that they may genuinely be unaware of the impact of their views. It's something that those in positions of privilege are best able to do and can afford to do with little risk, and that's something valuable imo. The alternative is refusing to engage at all, which is how we got our social media bubbles and alternative facts.

I'm admittedly also heavily influenced by the Christian teaching to love your enemies, where love is the only thing that can defeat hate.