Why Can't Apple Design a Podcast App That Isn't Literal Cancer That Is Killing Me Even As You Read This Title?

Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Why Can't Apple Design a Podcast App That Isn't Literal Cancer That Is Killing Me Even As You Read This Title?

Post by Raxivace »

Seriously what the fuck were they thinking with the iOS 11 update to the Podcast app?

iOS 10's Podcast App still wasn't very good and several fundamental issues, but it let you at least have basic features and when it wasn't crashing all of the god damned time you could at least choose new episodes easily. Now it takes like five clicks to get anywhere, the thing is slower than a fucking turtle, they don't show you the length of episodes until you've actually started playing them anymore, they severely limited the number of episodes you could examine on a screen on any time, and they now have a prominently displayed "Recently Listened" section even though the "Listen Now" section that is implied to only be new episodes of podcasts you're subscribed to also mixes in episodes of podcasts you've recently listened to.

Why the fuck would I want to know what I've listened to already? I've already listened to it I don't need to be reminded that I've listened to the god damned episode already. Why would I want a feed that mixes in years old episodes with new episodes? What fucking fool designed this?

Playlists and continuous play are gone too, for some reason I'm sure makes sense to somebody somewhere that isn't me.

This shitty app still crashes a bunch too, and now it's way over-designed.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Gendo
Site Admin

Re: Why Can't Apple Design a Podcast App That Isn't Literal Cancer That Is Killing Me Even As You Read This Title?

Post by Gendo »

There are good podcast apps out there that aren't from Apple. I don't know any by name, but this is what I've heard.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: Why Can't Apple Design a Podcast App That Isn't Literal Cancer That Is Killing Me Even As You Read This Title?

Post by Raxivace »

I've been looking into some and haven't been wowed by any yet...
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Someone I know who listens to Podcasts a bunch says Overcast for iOS is great.