Idle games

Place to discuss games of all types. tabletop games, video games, etc.
Gendo
Site Admin

Idle games

Post by Gendo »

Anyone here play any idle games? If you don't know, those are games where you make progress even when not playing, and you usually play over months or even years to just climb to higher and higher levels. Cookie Clicker was one of the first and maybe the most well-known.

I've been playing Trimps for the past 3 months. It's so ridiculously addicting. It benefits from active play a bit more than a lot of other games, which sometimes makes it hard to step away when you're suppose to go to work or bed or whatever. It's a really well done and balanced game that keeps things interesting as you get further. It also has a good community of people in the Kongregate chat room (except for that one spammer that I complained about in the other thread).
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: Idle games

Post by Raxivace »

I've played games with similar sounding sub-mechanics but never an outright one.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Reminds me of that time when people couldn't stop playing Farmville.
"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose"
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

I never played Farmville, but pretty sure it fits into the same category/genre.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

There's also the kittens game: http://bloodrizer.ru/games/kittens/
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Anakin McFly wrote:There's also the kittens game: http://bloodrizer.ru/games/kittens/
I hate you. [none]

Worth noting that games like A Dark Room and Candy Box are a sub-category of idle games; where they are played over days instead of months/years, and you can actually finish them.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

I've now been playing the kittens game for 30 hours. [none]
I don't even know what I'm doing with my life. Though it's a good game to have running in the background when doing menial tasks at work.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

I've been playing for 844 years... not sure how long that translates too.

Still a ways away from my first reset. But yeah, at least it takes a lot less attention than Trimps.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

844 years? D:
That's slightly terrifying. I've only been at it for 230.
(You can click on the 'Stats' tab to see how many hours you've played. I'm at 51 now.)
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

238 hours played (I started about 10 seconds after I read your post mentioning it).

Getting somewhat close to my first reset now.. I've read that 125 kittens is a good place for that. I'm at 88. What's crazy is how much different stuff there is in the game.

It's not ruining my life like Trimps did; because it doesn't require nearly as much active play. So I can just check on it every once in a while to see what I can afford.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Just did my first reset after just over 125 kittens. I'll see how much faster it goes with the extra stuff; then probably quit before another reset. Seems like this would take a very long time to actually see everything.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

I just did my first reset with 137 kittens after 574 years. I was playing a lot more actively, though, and it's ruining my life. :P

(If you haven't already, you can refresh the game to get a present box! It adds 10% happiness and carries over across resets. You can open it sometime around January, though the present you get will depend on how far you've progressed.)