A Dark Room

Place to discuss games of all types. tabletop games, video games, etc.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

A Dark Room

Post by Anakin McFly »

it's awesome go play it

http://adarkroom.doublespeakgames.com/

best played without any spoilers. I finished it in a couple days, which was faster than expected.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Re: A Dark Room

Post by maz89 »

Fun! How many hours does it take to finish?
"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose"
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Yeah this is an amazing game... pretty old; surprised you just discovered it.

Along similar lines; check out Candy Box (and Candy Box 2).
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

I'd heard about it before but never got down to playing it until this week. :D
How many hours does it take to finish?
I'm not sure - I think I took maybe 5 hours or so. It could be a lot shorter or a lot longer depending on how fast you reach certain objectives and which random events occur. Looks like the current record is 29 minutes.

I'll check out Candy Box!
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Anakin McFly wrote: I took maybe 5 hours or so. It could be a lot shorter or a lot longer depending on how fast you reach certain objectives and which random events occur. Looks like the current record is 29 minutes.
I finished it in about that much time too. I'm bummed by how abruptly it ended. I was stockpiling on sulfur, which I'd discovered later in the game, thinking there'd be some critical use for it but then I just flew to outer space. Great game though.

Will check out Candy Box.
"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose"
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

Haha yeah, same here. I ended it too quick.
Sulfur lets you make bullets!
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

Anakin McFly wrote:Haha yeah, same here. I ended it too quick.
Sulfur lets you make bullets!
Well that's dumb. You can't make bullets from sulfur. You use sulfur as one of the ingredients for gunpowder which lets you fire the bullets. This game must have been developed by Democrats.
__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

It's sulfur + steel to craft bullets.

The game also lets you make spears from teeth. [none]
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

Anakin McFly wrote:It's sulfur + steel to craft bullets.

The game also lets you make spears from teeth. [none]

The first sentence - stupid beyond belief. The second sentence - awesome enough to make up for the first.
__
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

But modern-day bullets have the gunpowder built in, right? Assuming that by "bullet" we are including the casing. So sulfur would be an ingredient in bullets.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

This darn kitten game though. I feel like it might be too slow. It has a reset/prestige system, but after 2.5 days I'm still not far enough to use it to good effect. It has a lot going on though; and I still keep unlocking new modules. A few things are a little unclear as to how they work, and the wiki isn't much help. But it definitely has the feeling of A Dark Room.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

Gendo wrote:But modern-day bullets have the gunpowder built in, right? Assuming that by "bullet" we are including the casing. So sulfur would be an ingredient in bullets.
That's a cartridge. Modern metallic cartridges have four components: the powder (now smokeless powder instead of actual gunpowder), the case, the bullet ("bullet" apples only to the projectile, not the entire cartridge), and the primer.
__
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

CashRules wrote:
Gendo wrote:But modern-day bullets have the gunpowder built in, right? Assuming that by "bullet" we are including the casing. So sulfur would be an ingredient in bullets.
That's a cartridge. Modern metallic cartridges have four components: the powder (now smokeless powder instead of actual gunpowder), the case, the bullet ("bullet" apples only to the projectile, not the entire cartridge), and the primer.
But is it not common usage, even if technically incorrect, to refer to the entire thing as a bullet? You can go into a store and get a box of bullets; you'll get the whole thing. Or, people will ask if there are bullets in the gun.
CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Post by CashRules »

Common usage is for suckers.
__
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

This darn kitten game though. I feel like it might be too slow. It has a reset/prestige system, but after 2.5 days I'm still not far enough to use it to good effect. It has a lot going on though; and I still keep unlocking new modules. A few things are a little unclear as to how they work, and the wiki isn't much help. But it definitely has the feeling of A Dark Room.
haha yeah - it's meant more as an idle game where you just leave it running in the background and just drop by now and then. So it's slow for that reason, although I gave up a while back. :P There are people who have been playing it for years, which is insane.