Al Franken and beyond

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Boomer
Super Poster

Al Franken and beyond

Post by Boomer »

So Al Franken resigned today, and rumor has it CNN is working on reports that will expose 20-30 other members of congress regarding sexual harassments/assaults.

What are y'all thinking right now? I'm trying to wrap my head around everything, but twitter seems to have turned into a sexual deviant exposing machine, and while these abusers are rightly being called out for the gross pigs they are, there seems to be a new allegation against a political figure/celebrity every day.

Are you guys able to keep up with it all?
...the only people for me are the mad ones...
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: Al Franken and beyond

Post by Raxivace »

As much as it sucks to say about someone I respected, Franken needed to go.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

I never cared about Franken at all, but I'm pretty disgusted at the liberal response to his resignation on places like Reddit and Twitter. I don't understand how you can pretend to be standing up for women and sexual assault/harassment victims and posture against Trump and Roy Moore when you're against a dude who's had, like, eight accusers being pressured to resign. I knew a lot of liberals were morally disgusting cretins who had zero principles or sincerity, but they're getting so obvious about it.

Some people have said that they've even left the Democratic Party over this. Really? After all the Democratic Party has done, this is your last straw? Getting rid of a sexual abuser is the one thing you can't tolerate? Really?
Boomer
Super Poster

Post by Boomer »

People who claim to be leaving the party are probably the same people who said they were moving to Canada when the Trumpster won.

It's the "let's not do anything of substance, but make sure people can see our virtue signal" crowd.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Well, I also said I was moving when Trump won. It was an emotional night. I still plan to, however. It's just kind of hard to just up and move out of the country when you're broke. I might move to the UK after Corbyn becomes PM.

I don't know how this is an example of virtue signaling. Isn't virtue signaling supposed to be signaling virtue? How is threatening to quit a party because they punished a sexual predator virtuous?

(Also "virtue signaling" is an alt-right buzzphrase fyi.)
Boomer
Super Poster

Post by Boomer »

Derived Absurdity wrote:Well, I also said I was moving when Trump won. It was an emotional night. I still plan to, however. It's just kind of hard to just up and move out of the country when you're broke. I might move to the UK after Corbyn becomes PM.

I don't know how this is an example of virtue signaling. Isn't virtue signaling supposed to be signaling virtue? How is threatening to quit a party because they punished a sexual predator virtuous?

(Also "virtue signaling" is an alt-right buzzphrase fyi.)
Sorry, I must have misread what you said; I thought you meant people were claiming to leave the party after finding out Franken was a sexual abuser.

And meh, I think virtue signaling is an apt term to describe hollow gestures people make whether they're on the right or the left.

If you have every intention of moving when able that's cool, I just don't think the US's emigration numbers match with the amount who claim they'd leave, especially among celebs.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

Derived Absurdity wrote:I never cared about Franken at all, but I'm pretty disgusted at the liberal response to his resignation on places like Reddit and Twitter. I don't understand how you can pretend to be standing up for women and sexual assault/harassment victims and posture against Trump and Roy Moore when you're against a dude who's had, like, eight accusers being pressured to resign. I knew a lot of liberals were morally disgusting cretins who had zero principles or sincerity, but they're getting so obvious about it.

Some people have said that they've even left the Democratic Party over this. Really? After all the Democratic Party has done, this is your last straw? Getting rid of a sexual abuser is the one thing you can't tolerate? Really?

The response is mixed. It's unfair to pain all libs as being against his resignation. Plenty of people wanted him to go, myself included, even if it stings.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

I didn't really read that as painting all liberals in a certain light; he mentioned the liberal response on Reddit and Twitter and said a lot of libs are full of shit fuck bags.

Anyway, regarding the OP, I think it's still clearly not enough. It's a step in the right direction maybe, but exposing a bunch of powerful fuckers as scum and forcing a few of them into the shadows isn't even really justice. They still won't be prosecuted for their crimes, and our POTUS is still sitting in the Oval Office after a fuckton of women came forward and shared their stories, and we heard him bragging about sexually assaulting women on tape. Look at all the support Moore still has, for fuck's sake.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

BruceSmith78 wrote:I didn't really read that as painting all liberals in a certain light; he mentioned the liberal response on Reddit and Twitter and said a lot of libs are full of shit fuck bags.
that's also what I'm talking about, at least on Reddit. I don't know proportions, but there were many, many liberals/Dems saying that this was the right thing to do.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

Ah, well I don't visit Reddit and the only time I go to Twitter is when some posts in that tweet of the week thread, so *shrugs*
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

very mature and well-adjusted decisions