Raxivace's 2018 List of Movies or (Neo-General Chat: The Second Raid)

maz89
Ultra Poster

Re: Raxivace's 2018 List of Movies or (Neo-General Chat: The Second Raid)

Post by maz89 »

I also hoped that Yojimbo would like Bioshock more than he does! But fine, an 8.5 ain't too shabby, and maybe we should take the Deus Ex recommendation seriously.

Good luck with the Witcher! I envy you. Regarding your question about how to get the best ending, I find it amusing that you're as obsessive about this as I am. When I was playing Detroit Become Human and I had to make a very critical choice that would affect one of my favorite characters, I literally paused the game, very carefully checked online to know which choice would get me a relatively better ending, and then continued the game. I am pretty sure that's not how the makers of the game wanted us to play it. [laugh] Fortunately, I think the best ending of Witcher 3 for the main storyline is easily achievable without this kind of external tampering. Just be a good person, and good things will happen. Of course, things are less clear cut in the secondary character-centric storylines. I'd recommend to periodically maintain some saves during the game, especially during the big missions. Also when you get towards the end of the main storyline, make sure you leave at least one save before all the action starts as as there is one big decision in the end that some people (*ahem*Rax*cough*) get "wrong".

I also thought that the Clueless Gamer episodes with just Aaron and Conan were funnier. The Bill Hader/God of War one was just okay, but yeah, I also thought the Final Fantasy one was hilarious! And damn, that Easter Egg in Witcher 3! "Conan of Bray End." [laugh]

Sidenote: Red Dead Redemption 2 has earned some amazing reviews.
"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose"
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Raxivace wrote:
Btw, do you know a game that HR served as an inspiration for? Telltale's TWD.
I'd be really surprised if this was the case since much of TWD's systems were already in place in Back to the Future which came out shortly after HR did.
Not from a gameplay perspective, but a "cinematic" perspective.
Raxivace wrote:
We're talking relatively here, remember - it certainly takes a lot more time "exploring in dark environments" in SH than in HR.
I'm not entirely sure you understood what I was saying- I'm not even really making a comparison between SH and HR here, I'm talking about how even open world level design is still designed to guide players in more or less the same way that, say, the hospital level is.
Now I am lost. The hospital level/SH was the relatively "open world" example in our discussion; HR is not open world. In any case, I just think that's a reductive way to compare the experience offered by an open world vs non-open world game ("ultimately, all games do the same thing"). SH may "trick" the player into believing there's a lot of terrain to explore and that it ultimately channels them towards predefined paths, but it still offers a very different experience from the way more linear, plot driven direction in HR.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Eva Yojimbo wrote:Yeah, I noticed that without the tonics some hacks would literally be impossible, as in alarms/shocks blocking every possible path unless you managed to replace the very first tile.
Yeah its a bit annoying. Its only one of my minor complaints with the game but I'd rather them just be difficult instead of literally impossible if you're not keeping up with the Tonics or whatever.
I really think you'd like it. Great atmosphere, in-depth storyline, lots of cool history and allusions and references to stuff like the Illuminati. You really do feel part of some huge conspiracy.
Sounds neat, I'll think about checking it out.
That's the one (the bolded part). I got the one that he unlocks himself, but I guess I forgot to check his body after I killed him. :/
Jimbo, you must always check the bodies after you kill people! That's just common sense!
I finished the game a few days ago. Ending was cute and touching but rather brief. I'm not sure where the greatest video game of all time/video games as art thing comes from... the story seems a bit too simple/superficial for that level of hype, but it's definitely a solid FPS with some smoothly integrated RPG elements with a great art-design and atmosphere.
Other than the aspects you mentioned, the two most often praised elements of the game are:

1)Commentary on Ayn Rand and Objectivism
2)Commentary on choice in video games

Honestly these aspects are where two of my own largest criticisms of BioShock 1 lie, as much as I love the game.

1)I don't think BioShock ever actually provides the player with a real, meaningful way to reject Ryan's core philosophy, despite thinking it does through the choice of Saving or Harvesting the Little Sisters.

The idea behind the choice of course, is that do I Harvest for more personal benefit (Accept Ryan's extreme Randian/libertarian philosophy that self-interest is all that matters), or do I Rescue because its the "right thing to do" (Rejecting Ryan by participating in charity)? What kind of father is your character, in response to his own father (Consider how the game has you become a Big Daddy at the end.)? Do you continue his legacy or reject it outright?

The problem is that the benefit from Harvesting is negligible at best. If you Rescue every Little Sister, you only end up with marginally less Adam (3080 for Rescuing vs. 3360 for Harvesting) in addition to overpowered Plasmids and Tonics you wouldn't get otherwise.

In a sense, BioShock puts forth the idea that we can get rich off of charity, which is complete and total nonsense (The world would be a very different place if this were true) and makes the choice not to Harvest meaningless. No one would exploit others if there were easier, safer ways to get more profit and security.

This is why I really think BioShock needed to be gradually taking away something from you if you choose to Save (Perhaps, for example, Saving Little Sisters could have gradually reduced your max HP over the course of the game, gradually making enemies more and more deadly to you in addition to their increasingly deadlier weaponry and so on). Doing the right think requires sacrifice, it hardly ever awards you profit. There's temptation to overcome, and I can't think of any better "fuck you" to Andrew Ryan than knowingly going down that path and conquering Rapture anyways.

2) I love the reveal of the twist in BioShock ("Would you kindly?"), and how it ties into the illusory nature of choice in games...but I think Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty not only did this theme better earlier, but did it more in depth too. BioShock begins and ends as a reflection of video games: MGS2 took the same observation (Players unquestioningly following what they're told to do in games), and then used that to connect to Kojima's concerns about how the world is developing in the internet age.

In MGS2, a) Raiden being manipulated by the antagonists in the plot, is similar b) gamers being manipulated by the instructions they recieve in games, which is similar to c) the way people become manipulated by culture and media at large, form their own echo chambers where they don't have to hear contrasting opinions etc.

BioShock just seems to stop at b). I like how they dramatize their own version of a) and b) with the big twist, but when MGS2 has only increased in relevance over time with their exploration of the same themes BioShock's exploration doesn't really hold up to scrutiny as well.
I don't think I've seen any of the recent horror films you've been watching. Any of them you'd highly recommend? I did see Mothra back when I briefly really into Godzilla. Don't remember much about it, but most of those Godzillas (save the original) have kinda blended together in my mind.
Curse of Frankenstein has been the best of the lot I've been watching recently.

I'm not too keen on A24 overall recent output but It Comes at Night was kind of neat. I haven't seen too many people talking about it.
Last edited by Raxivace on Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Eva Yojimbo wrote:So definitely a good start, even if nothing stands out as spectacular.
"Spectacular"...interesting choice of words to talk about Spider-Man with lol.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

maz89 wrote:Also when you get towards the end of the main storyline, make sure you leave at least one save before all the action starts as as there is one big decision in the end that some people (*ahem*Rax*cough*) get "wrong".
The "wrong" decision of teaching an extremely emotionally immature child that its actually not cool and good to run away from responsibility and join a cult of murderous hobos instead. [none]

Well I guess they're not as bad without that prick Vesemir around but still.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

maz89 wrote:Not from a gameplay perspective, but a "cinematic" perspective.
Even then I'm not sure that the cutscene direction is very different between BttF and TWD but admittedly its been a long time since I played through it.
SH may "trick" the player into believing there's a lot of terrain to explore and that it ultimately channels them towards predefined paths, but it still offers a very different experience from the way more linear, plot driven direction in HR.
Yeah this is just gonna be something we have to agree to disagree on, because I really don't find them to be ultimately very different on a fundamental level.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

BTW Jimbo you should add me and maz on PSN. I'm "ThunderBook" on there and he's "mr_ocd89".

The PS4 port of Castlevania: Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night dropped yesterday so I've been replaying Rondo of Blood again. Game is still relatively a tough son of a bitch but its fun. The second season of the Netflix show dropped too, I'll post about that when I'm done with it even though I'm the only one here who cares.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Raxivace wrote:
maz89 wrote:Not from a gameplay perspective, but a "cinematic" perspective.
Even then I'm not sure that the cutscene direction is very different between BttF and TWD but admittedly its been a long time since I played through it.
Hey, not my words - the creators said it.

Unless they lied. They probably lied. That's why they're out of jobs today.
Raxivace wrote:
SH may "trick" the player into believing there's a lot of terrain to explore and that it ultimately channels them towards predefined paths, but it still offers a very different experience from the way more linear, plot driven direction in HR.
Yeah this is just gonna be something we have to agree to disagree on, because I really don't find them to be ultimately very different on a fundamental level.
So many qualifiers! Ultimately. Very different. Fundamental level. With all of those qualifiers, I don't think I disagree with you either, lol

I like your commentary on Bioshock and share your appreciation of it (we've talked about its themes before too IIRC), but now I really wish I could dive into MGS2. Are they gonna do a remastered version for the PS4?
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

maz89 wrote:Unless they lied. They probably lied. That's why they're out of jobs today.
Well its not like this never happens. Like we could both certainly point to a lot of film directors (Ford, Welles, etc.) that have lied about aspects of their work for whatever reason- no reason to think there aren't video game people that might do it too.
I like your commentary on Bioshock and share your appreciation of it (we've talked about its themes before too IIRC), but now I really wish I could dive into MGS2. Are they gonna do a remastered version for the PS4?
Konami hasn't announced an MGS2 port for PS4 but considering they're recently put out a PS4 port of Zone of the Enders 2 (A game significantly less popular than MGS2 also from Kojima's former substudio of Konami (But not directed by him)) I'd be surprised if it doesn't happen eventually.

You should very much play MGS1 at least first though. I don't think its aged super gracefully but its still great in its own right.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Season 2 of Netflix's Castlevania was bizarre. Half of the season is basically a giant Reading Rainbow episode- our heroes Trevor Belmont, Sypha, and Alucard go to their local library and chill out there for like half of the entire season. While they're doing that, Dracula summons his terrifying GENERALS from all across the land, who spend the season...talking about how they hate each other, how they think Dracula is a suicidal, senile old fool, and also about boats. Lot of damn talk about boats in this show, but I'm not sure we ever actually see a boat at any point.

After our heroes learn that knowledge is power, Trevor and co. just go and murder the fuck out of Dracula. Well specifically Alucard murders his father. It's actually kind of sad, and the whole season ends on an introspective note as Alucard reflects back on his dead parents.

It was weird that Netflix ever adapted a 30 year old NES game into a TV show to begin with, it was weird that it ended up as this weird push-and-pull between taking the piss out of "Hero's Journey" stories and just straight up being one (Perhaps its some of the influence from Berserk and Game of Thrones here), and it was weird that it mostly actually kind of worked? I certainly thought season 2 was better than season 1's anyways, though some of season 1's more offputting decisions make some more sense in retrospect now.

There's a season 3 coming still- it's probably going to adapt one of the PS2 games though unfortunately I never played any of those entries in the series. I'll be checking it out at any rate.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Moar Frankensteins.

200. Frankenstein Created Woman (1967, Dir. Terence Fisher) - In this one Victor has an assistant who is wrongfully accused of murder and is executed. The assistant's girlfriend commits suicide out of grief. Now short one assistant, Victor takes his soul, somehow, and puts it in the preserved body of the girlfriend, and now the girlfriend, under instruction from the soul of the assistant, goes around killing everyone responsible for the execution.

It's an odd movie to take a look at in the context of recent discussions about gender identity, but I think it mostly works for the story? Victor himself is kind of secondary in the movie too (The focus is much more on the assistant and his girlfriend) which makes it a curious entry in the franchise.

201. Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969, Dir. Terence Fisher) - Eh wasn't really into this one. One of Victor's old partners is an insane asylum, he wants to break him out and taken his brain. He does, puts it in another body, partner gets pissed and fights with Victor.

Idk why this one didn't really land for me- maybe it was because the previous film just seemed like a more daring version of a similar idea.

202. The Horror of Frankenstein (1970, Dir. Jimmy Sangster) - Hammer tried to reboot the franchise for some reason with this movie, making this loosely a remake of Curse of Frankenstein. You have Victor in school as a boy genius, a maid that's in love with him etc. He's kind of asexual in this movie though, perhaps being the biggest change in his character.

In general, this remake just didn't seem to add a whole lot, or much of a new spin on the story or anything really. It just feels kind of pointless, and has a bad ending where the Monster gets a destroyed by a little girl playing with random levers in a lab and accidentally dousing him with acid or something. It doesn't even seem like it matters much though- Victor himself isn't stopped so can't he just make another monster? Who cares if his first one has been destroyed?
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

BTW Jimbo, how can the recent Spider-Man game be the best recent representation of the character when just last year there was a game where Spidey teamed up with Chris Redfield?

Oh wait I know, it's because Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite was, sadly, not very good.
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

maz89 wrote:I also hoped that Yojimbo would like Bioshock more than he does! But fine, an 8.5 ain't too shabby, and maybe we should take the Deus Ex recommendation seriously.
Maybe? [none]
maz89 wrote:Good luck with the Witcher! I envy you. Regarding your question about how to get the best ending, I find it amusing that you're as obsessive about this as I am. When I was playing Detroit Become Human and I had to make a very critical choice that would affect one of my favorite characters, I literally paused the game, very carefully checked online to know which choice would get me a relatively better ending, and then continued the game. I am pretty sure that's not how the makers of the game wanted us to play it. [laugh] Fortunately, I think the best ending of Witcher 3 for the main storyline is easily achievable without this kind of external tampering. Just be a good person, and good things will happen. Of course, things are less clear cut in the secondary character-centric storylines. I'd recommend to periodically maintain some saves during the game, especially during the big missions. Also when you get towards the end of the main storyline, make sure you leave at least one save before all the action starts as as there is one big decision in the end that some people (*ahem*Rax*cough*) get "wrong".
Thanks for the tips. I'm going to move the main discussion about this over to the Gaming forum/thread.
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." -- Carl Jung
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

Raxivace wrote:Jimbo, you must always check the bodies after you kill people! That's just common sense!
Apparently I didn't learn my lesson because I just found out in Witcher 3 that apparently you can loot the destroyed monster nests. Missed all of them in White Orchard and the first several in Velen. [none]
Raxivace wrote:
I finished the game a few days ago. Ending was cute and touching but rather brief. I'm not sure where the greatest video game of all time/video games as art thing comes from... the story seems a bit too simple/superficial for that level of hype, but it's definitely a solid FPS with some smoothly integrated RPG elements with a great art-design and atmosphere.
Other than the aspects you mentioned, the two most often praised elements of the game are:

1)Commentary on Ayn Rand and Objectivism
2)Commentary on choice in video games

Honestly these aspects are where two of my own largest criticisms of BioShock 1 lie, as much as I love the game.

1)I don't think BioShock ever actually provides the player with a real, meaningful way to reject Ryan's core philosophy, despite thinking it does through the choice of Saving or Harvesting the Little Sisters.

The idea behind the choice of course, is that do I Harvest for more personal benefit (Accept Ryan's extreme Randian/libertarian philosophy that self-interest is all that matters), or do I Rescue because its the "right thing to do" (Rejecting Ryan by participating in charity)? What kind of father is your character, in response to his own father (Consider how the game has you become a Big Daddy at the end.)? Do you continue his legacy or reject it outright?

The problem is that the benefit from Harvesting is negligible at best. If you Rescue every Little Sister, you only end up with marginally less Adam (3080 for Rescuing vs. 3360 for Harvesting) in addition to overpowered Plasmids and Tonics you wouldn't get otherwise.

In a sense, BioShock puts forth the idea that we can get rich off of charity, which is complete and total nonsense (The world would be a very different place if this were true) and makes the choice not to Harvest meaningless. No one would exploit others if there were easier, safer ways to get more profit and security.

This is why I really think BioShock needed to be gradually taking away something from you if you choose to Save (Perhaps, for example, Saving Little Sisters could have gradually reduced your max HP over the course of the game, gradually making enemies more and more deadly to you in addition to their increasingly deadlier weaponry and so on). Doing the right think requires sacrifice, it hardly ever awards you profit. There's temptation to overcome, and I can't think of any better "fuck you" to Andrew Ryan than knowingly going down that path and conquering Rapture anyways.

2) I love the reveal of the twist in BioShock ("Would you kindly?"), and how it ties into the illusory nature of choice in games...but I think Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty not only did this theme better earlier, but did it more in depth too. BioShock begins and ends as a reflection of video games: MGS2 took the same observation (Players unquestioningly following what they're told to do in games), and then used that to connect to Kojima's concerns about how the world is developing in the internet age.

In MGS2, a) Raiden being manipulated by the antagonists in the plot, is similar b) gamers being manipulated by the instructions they recieve in games, which is similar to c) the way people become manipulated by culture and media at large, form their own echo chambers where they don't have to hear contrasting opinions etc.

BioShock just seems to stop at b). I like how they dramatize their own version of a) and b) with the big twist, but when MGS2 has only increased in relevance over time with their exploration of the same themes BioShock's exploration doesn't really hold up to scrutiny as well.
This is good stuff. I'd probably have to play through the game again to really notice how it tackles these themes, but I think I agree with you. I would say though that IRL it's not always clear whether or not sacrifice will benefit someone or not, and that's true on both the personal and political level. There's rarely an obvious way of finding the perfect balance between sacrifice for the betterment of society and personal betterment. In many cases, they go hand in hand. I do think you can go too far in either direction, and certainly Rand is too far on the "personal betterment" side. Really, the only way to criticize it is to appeal to people's sense of sympathy/empathy, and if that doesn't work then you're not left with much (I guess you could imagine it leading to some version of a post-apocalyptic anarchic society, but that might be stretching it). I also liked the "Would you kindly?" bit, but was a bit disappointed that it didn't follow up on it a bit more. I barely remember MGS2 for some reason (biggest thing I remember is obsessively collecting the dog tags!), though oddly enough the last two games I remember playing on PS2 was MGS2 and Deus Ex, the latter has stuck with me much more.
Raxivace wrote:
I don't think I've seen any of the recent horror films you've been watching. Any of them you'd highly recommend? I did see Mothra back when I briefly really into Godzilla. Don't remember much about it, but most of those Godzillas (save the original) have kinda blended together in my mind.
Curse of Frankenstein has been the best of the lot I've been watching recently.

I'm not too keen on A24 overall recent output but It Comes at Night was kind of neat. I haven't seen too many people talking about it.
Cool, I'll try to check them out.
Raxivace wrote:
Eva Yojimbo wrote:So definitely a good start, even if nothing stands out as spectacular.
"Spectacular"...interesting choice of words to talk about Spider-Man with lol.
I could've also used Amazing or Sensational. :D The game actually plays on this when Spidey rescues Miles and the latter, in shock, says "you're the amazing Spider-Man! The spectacular Spider-Man!"
Raxivace wrote:BTW Jimbo you should add me and maz on PSN. I'm "ThunderBook" on there and he's "mr_ocd89".

The PS4 port of Castlevania: Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night dropped yesterday so I've been replaying Rondo of Blood again. Game is still relatively a tough son of a bitch but its fun. The second season of the Netflix show dropped too, I'll post about that when I'm done with it even though I'm the only one here who cares.
You'll have to walk me through how to do this.

Symphony of the Night is another classic I rented but didn't finish. Never even heard of Rondo. I might give that port a chance some time down the road.
Raxivace wrote:BTW Jimbo, how can the recent Spider-Man game be the best recent representation of the character when just last year there was a game where Spidey teamed up with Chris Redfield?

Oh wait I know, it's because Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite was, sadly, not very good.
Well that was, ummm, weird...
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." -- Carl Jung
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Eva Yojimbo wrote:
Raxivace wrote:Jimbo, you must always check the bodies after you kill people! That's just common sense!
Apparently I didn't learn my lesson because I just found out in Witcher 3 that apparently you can loot the destroyed monster nests. Missed all of them in White Orchard and the first several in Velen. [none]
Lol I made the same mistake at first. I don't think there's anything too important you miss from them, though the loot is nice to have.
I would say though that IRL it's not always clear whether or not sacrifice will benefit someone or not, and that's true on both the personal and political level.
Yeah that's fair to say.
Eva Yojimbo wrote:You'll have to walk me through how to do this.
On the main PS4 menu, click Friends, then Search, then enter the Online ID or Name you want to search for.
Symphony of the Night is another classic I rented but didn't finish. Never even heard of Rondo. I might give that port a chance some time down the road.
Rondo was Japan-only up until about a decade ago, so its not that surprising if you don't know about it.

Do you remember the meme-y prologue to SotN with the Resident Evil 1 levels of bad voice acting?

That entire prologue is actually just straight up the final level of Rondo of Blood- Symphony of the Night is a direct sequel, despite having fairly different gameplay.

Interestingly, this whole dialogue happens after Dracula has been mortally wounded in Rondo whereas in SotN its changed to happen before he and Richter battle. A curious change I've never quite seen a convincing explanation for.
Don't play Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite. Just don't do it. Please don't.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

203. The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires (1974, Dir. Roy Ward Baker & Cheh Chang) - The year is 1903. Professor Van Helsing and his son have traveled to China to research vampires. Meanwhile Dracula is back (Though not played by Christopher Lee), having possessed a Chinese monk who sought to use him to revive “The 7 Golden Vampires". Dracula decides he'll just revive them for himself.

In China, a student recruits Van Helsing to help him and his brothers defeat the 7 Golden Vampires, who are now running amok.
Yeah so this is a co-production between Hammer and the Shaw Brothers. That's right, the final entry in this series is a wuxia film- tons of martial arts and sword fights and such here. Really kind of an odd note for this series to end on, but while not by any means a forgotten masterpiece, its also probably the most fun I had with these Dracula since its just such a goofy premise. Easily in my top 3 of these Hammer Draculas, alongside Horror of Dracula and Dracula Has Risen from the Grave.

204. Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1974, Dir. Terence Fisher) - A young scientist is sent to prison for the crime human experimentation, only to find out that this same prison houses one Victor Frankenstein (Peter Cushing, returning to the role), who was condemned here. Through wheeling and dealing though Victor has amassed great influence over the prison, to the point that was even able to legally fake his death, and recruits the younger scientist to be his assistant as they work on creating a new, yeti-like Monster within the prison.

So, this is the final of the Hammer Frankensteins, and a direct sequel to Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (The 1970 reboot or whatever is ignored entirely here). I initially thought ending on a prison movie of all things was a really weird idea for this franchise, though even the Universal series incorporates a similar idea in Ghost of Frankenstein. I think its one of the better entries in the series, as the prison is pretty creepy and yeti-ish take on the Monster is pretty neat.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I really wish I could have gotten more horror films watched this year- I wanted to at least finish the Elm Street movies too though I guess that'll wait for another time. Other movies I just missed out on entirely, like Rodan and Return of the Living Dead- oh well, there's always more time. I'm a little horror movie'd out at the moment now.

Some final thoughts on Hammer- I think both their Frankenstein series and their Dracula series follow a pretty similar arc: both start with strong , atmospheric reimaginings that are still rooted in classical ideas from the original Universal movies (Horror of Dracula, Curse of Frankenstein), but then after that get fairly repetitive, with the more interesting entries being the ones that just try more bizarre ideas (Like Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires, or Frankenstein Created Woman. The atheism angle in Dracula Has Risen From the Grave was neat too, but its been several years since I last watched that at this point).

I still enjoyed going through these movies though, if at times only for Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. Cushing in particular I enjoyed seeing since for the longest time I really only knew him for his role as Grand Moff Tarkin in Star Wars. He's better as Victor Frankenstein, though I think his outings as Van Helsing are more uneven.

Hammer did plenty of other movies- I know they did movies based on the Mummy and Sherlock Holmes as well. I have not seen any of those- might be worth looking into in the future.
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

Raxivace wrote:On the main PS4 menu, click Friends, then Search, then enter the Online ID or Name you want to search for.
OK, I'll do this ASAP. What happens then? I mean, what's the purpose of doing it?
Raxivace wrote:
Rondo was Japan-only up until about a decade ago, so its not that surprising if you don't know about it.

Do you remember the meme-y prologue to SotN with the Resident Evil 1 levels of bad voice acting?

That entire prologue is actually just straight up the final level of Rondo of Blood- Symphony of the Night is a direct sequel, despite having fairly different gameplay.

Interestingly, this whole dialogue happens after Dracula has been mortally wounded in Rondo whereas in SotN its changed to happen before he and Richter battle. A curious change I've never quite seen a convincing explanation for.
Nah, I don't remember anything from SotN, but that's cool about it being a sequel to RoB. I may get around to playing them. I played the first two games on NES and the first for N64. I remember the first two being quite difficult (just a step down from Ninja Gaiden) and the only two things I remember about the N64 version was the unkillable monster that chases you through the garden maze and the giant Minotaur-like boss.
Raxivace wrote:
Don't play Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite. Just don't do it. Please don't.
No plans to. :)
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Eva Yojimbo wrote:OK, I'll do this ASAP. What happens then? I mean, what's the purpose of doing it?
Its mostly just for the hell of it. You can send messages to friends easily, see what games they've played, compare Trophies, hook up for multiplayer games more easily etc.
I played the first two games on NES and the first for N64. I remember the first two being quite difficult (just a step down from Ninja Gaiden) and the only two things I remember about the N64 version was the unkillable monster that chases you through the garden maze and the giant Minotaur-like boss.
I loved the first game. Very challenging but far more fair than a lot of people give it credit for.

Simon's Quest is neat and really ambitious for an NES game (Particularly with the whole conceit of the villagers intentionally misleading and lying to you- a lot of people chalk that up to a bad translation but that's not really the case.), but the execution is pretty lacking, particularly in the actual platforming and boss fights. I'd really love to see a proper remake some day (Done with high quality 2D sprites, preferably).

Believe it or not, I've never played any of the N64 games.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

I've not been as forthcoming about the movies I've been watching lately (just don't have much to say), but I must stop to mention the latest one I saw: First Reformed. I went into this knowing only the broad outlines of the plot and that it starred Ethan Hawke, but I had no idea it was directed by the guy who wrote Taxi Driver. There were shades of that film here, in the narration and in the subtle (and not so subtle) cues of the deterioration of a priest's psych as he slowly loses his bearings after encountering a radicalized environmental activist. What begins as a standard, comfortable conversation about balancing hope and despair in a bleak world becomes something truly unsettling but still immensely recognizable. IOW, I loved it and you should all see it asap. This is a movie very relevant to the current political climate.

I also watched Hereditary, which I thought was a solidly constructed horror film. I kinda hoped that the ending wouldn't do away with the ambiguity, and that the use of the dollhouse visuals amounted to something more than a self-conscious gimmick. But as it stands, it is really good example of its genre, and Collette gave an amazing performance.

The Misfits was great too. I think I last saw Monroe when I put on Some Like It Hot ten years ago, so I forgot how gorgeous she was until I put this on. Seriously, wow. The whole movie, and every character in the movie, seems to be conscious of that too, and it could become irritating except that it all kind of works. The conversations are smooth, the characters are well-developed and the film just flows organically from Roslyn going with the gang to Guido's house in the Nevada plains to her romantic connection with Gay to her blood-curdling screams at the rodeo to her final stand on the mountains against the "cowboy" life she thought she knew. Gable was terrific, and he played a complex masculine character worthy of his skill; that he would not let go of old traditions until he proved his own manhood to himself at the end felt real. Montgomery's turn as Perce was also solid. It's just a shame what happened to his career after his car accident. And it's a little strange to watch this film knowing that it's both Monroe and Gable's final film. It ends with them riding into the sunset together. So strange.

And I'll wrap this up with my appreciation for A Ghost Story. It's about a man who dies and comes back to stalk his widow as a ghost. While the film does of course focus on what grieving process looks like for the widow, it's more interested on what the ghost is going through. We know little about what he is looking for and why he didn't move "on", but I'm glad the movie doesn't lose its mystery by dumbing the story down at a plot level. Really, the film succeeds on account of its meditative pacing and memorable visuals. No histrionics in the performances, but just plain ol' calmly faced devastation and sadness (and a whole lot of depression/stress-eating). The result is a sad, poignant and fascinating mood piece on loss, love and purpose. It may bite off more than it can chew, but I love visual-driven movies with ambition. My friend called it pseudo-intellectualism, so I kicked him out of the house. (No, I didn't.)
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Hereditary doing away with that ambiguity basically ruined the movie for me. The cult stuff was just so, so silly.

I'm not familiar with First Reformed but I like Paul Schrader's work with Scorsese. He directed and wrote a movie in the 70's that I liked called Blue Collar too, with Harvey Keitel and Richard Pryor in a rare dramatic role.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Raxivace wrote:Hereditary doing away with that ambiguity basically ruined the movie for me. The cult stuff was just so, so silly.

I'm not familiar with First Reformed but I like Paul Schrader's work with Scorsese. He directed and wrote a movie in the 70's that I liked called Blue Collar too, with Harvey Keitel and Richard Pryor in a rare dramatic role.
Yeah, I think I'd have rated it higher if it didn't pick a 'side' between "mother who is racked by guilt over the loss of her daughter and complicated relationship with her son becomes insane and kills family" versus "evil grandma sold her grandson to the devil". The nightmare Collette experiences when she's explaining to her son that she loves him that turns into both of them being wet with paint thinner while a match is lit nearby.. was just superb. If only they'd have kept it grounded in her guilt over being a terrible mother, it might have landed better. Maybe they thought they could pull a Rosemary's Baby... [giveup]

Thanks, I'll check out Blue Collar. There's another Schrader film I plan to check out too, Affliction.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

The more I think about it the more I think attempt at ambiguity* (And I'm being extremely generous to the people that try to say that this film has an ambiguous plot) doesn't work in Hereditary is because they introduce all of the psychological explanations first, and then try to pull "lol its the demon cult". It just ends up feeling like it cheapens the first half when constructed that way. If it had been the other way around, I think I would have liked it better.

This is to say nothing about how we're expected to believe the cult functions. Like what do they do? Are they going to the grocery store to buy evil fruits and vegetables? Maybe the grocer is in on it.

Oh shit though, is the farmer the grocer buys the fruit from in on it too? Is he sitting around, all day, sinisterly planting things in his garden? Did he buy a tractor from a local salesman that also wants to revive this demon? And so. The whole idea just strains credibility once you put 30 seconds of thought into how it could have possibly functioned.

Also it occurs to me that the film is arguably transphobic. The villain is the one who basically wants a gender reassignment surgery. "He desires a male body" and so on.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Wait, there are people who think Hereditary has an ambiguous plot? What? I agree about how the structure is troublesome - that was my problem in the first place. They were taking it in an interesting direction with the devastating death of her daughter giving rise to something truly ugly in the grieving mother, including her contempt for her mother and son, but then the filmmakers decided to favor the supernatural ending rather than the more grounded and realistic one. I didn't even realize the cult stuff was supposed to be a twist since the signs were all over the place, but I hoped they were there to showcase the mother's splintering psych and her fraught relationship with her estranged, deceased mother. I understand that leaving the ending ambiguous might have been seen as the easy way out and non-committal (and so many psychological horror films do it nowadays), but committing to the demon worshipping cult took the fun out of it for me, even if it made for some memorable visuals. Still, a well-made, intriguing film overall. Btw, have you seen the Witch? Spoilers head if you haven't. They actually did this kind of conclusion way, way, way better.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I'm like half asleep right now and if you said that I probably just forgot lol.

I've seen The Witch and didn't like it either tbh. Most of the same problems I have with Hereditary I have with it too. But yeah there are people that try and argue that Hereditary is all in the mom's head or something.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

205. The Other Side of the Wind (2018, Dir. The ghost of Orson Welles) - I'm not even sure where to begin with this one. Holy hell, what a movie. Something of a mix of satire of the pretensions of 70's Hollywood and tragedy.
There's essentially three layers to this movie.

1. The introductive narration, where the character Brooks Otterlake (Played by Peter Bogdanovich) in modern time is reflecting back to the 70's when the film takes place.
2. The bulk of a movie, which takes places at the 70th birthday party of Jake “Skipper" Hannaford (Played by John Huston, who of course directed movies like The Maltese Falcon in his own right). Most of the guests here are either played by real film directors, are thinly veiled pastiches of film figures from the time, or are both in the case of Bogdanovich playing Otterlake.
3. A film with in the film (Which is of course called “The Other Side of the Wind"), that's intended as Hannaford's comeback to Hollywood and his attempt to keep up with the younger, arty directors of the time. It's story is largely without dialogue, and follows a young man absolutely smitten with a woman (Oja Kodar, who spends most of this without any clothes on, similar to how she spent large portions of F for Fake in a bikini) who seems to be leading him on (Apparently this is largely a jab at an Antonioni movie called Zabriskie Point (Parts of the movie where even filmed in the same location), though unfortunately I have not seen it).

The movie is constantly cutting between 2 and 3, the two narratives reflecting each other from time to time (I.e. we get a dorky cineaste snob asking Hannaford dopey questions like “Is the camera a phallus?" while in 3, We get Kodar's character seemingly getting ready to castrate the male lead while we hear Hannaford's direction making puns off of Hitchcock's name).

The film within the film is more classically composed (A lot of carefully composed shots and slower editing etc.) than that of the main narrative, with its combination of a faux verité style (I.e. all of the camerawork is being done from film people and film buffs at the party filming everything. This is arguably where found footage was invented as a concept, though the camera work is still better than anything in like Blair Witch Project or whatever) and very very rapid editing.

The sex scene in the car in the film within the film honestly might be one of the greatest things Welles has ever filmed (And because it's a sex scene, something Welles just never really did before now (The closest being F for Fake. I guess there's The Immortal Story too but it's not really like this from what I remember) you just know Oja Kodar had a lot of influence here). Visually very stylish (That color! The rain on the car, the lights), and the sound design. Omg. I know they mention it in one of the documentaries, but the way the falling rain, the windshield wipers, the beads banging against Kodar's chest all gain a kind of musical quality is just mesmerizing.

Yet despite being very different from other Welles' movies (Sort of. Even the “movie within the movie" conceit goes back to the News on the March segment in Citizen Kane), there's a lot of thematic cornerstones and arguable references to Welles other work. We of course have the fractured relationship between the younger man and the older man, illusions, references to Shakespeare, the passing of an era, beginning with the death of a character etc. Even the fact that Hannaford dies in a car accident (That might be a suicide, though we're left unsure) recalls the "lost ending" of The Magnificent Ambersons.

Fuck. This movie. It's so good. This has been a bad, messy review from me of a messy, excellent movie. It's easily the most interesting thing Netflix has put out. There's a lot of a big movies I haven't seen yet this year but this is, so far, my favorite film of 2018. I can't do it justice here. People that don't know what they're getting into are gonna hate it though.

206. They'll Love Me When I'm Dead (2018, Dir. Morgan Neville) - A pretty solid doc about Welles' initial attempt to shoot The Other Side of the Wind back in the 70's. The information contained here, from what I can tell, is solely pulled from the Josh Karp book, though its nice and slick way to convey everything, especially when you can actually hear and see the people and places that Karp had written about. A good watch if you haven't read the book, and even if you have its still a nice supplement to it.

207. A Final Cut for Orson (2018, Dir. Ryan Suffern) - A mini-documentary that goes into the technical challenges into completing The Other Side of the Wind. The footage of Danny Huston dubbing in lines for his father's character was particularly nice to see; his impersonation is dead on.

208. Caught in the Cabaret (1913, Dir. Mabel Normand) - A kind of mediocre Chaplin short that I recorded off of TCM the other day. Not much to really say about it.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Raxivace wrote:I've seen The Witch and didn't like it either tbh.
So clearly you would not like to live deliciously. [none]
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

maz89 wrote:
Raxivace wrote:I've seen The Witch and didn't like it either tbh.
So clearly you would not like to live deliciously. [none]
Too busy watching new movies by dead people to hang out with goats.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Like for god's sake Orson has been dead for 30 years and still managed to put out a new movie this month. What the fuck has Black Phillip done? Why isn't he the first goat to direct a motion picture? Is he even trying?
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Raxivace wrote:Like for god's sake Orson has been dead for 30 years and still managed to put out a new movie this month.
To be fair, someone must have put it together for him, right?! Unless... unless... he too is living deliciously. [eek]
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

They say that if you turn the lights off in your bathroom, look into the mirror, and speak aloud "In July, peas grow there" three times as quickly as you can that Welles himself will come out of the mirror and personally murder you unless you agree to fund his next project.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

Huh. This Welles guy sounds kind of promising.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

209. Le Gai Savoir (AKA Joy of Learning, 1969, Dir. Jean-Luc Godard) - Yeah I'm just gonna quote Jimbo's brief review from the IMDb days here since I largely agree with it.
Eva_Yojimbo wrote:La Gai Savoir - Jean-Luc Godard - 4.0/10

This is really where Godard went off the deep end, where he gave up on narrative for essay films that are little more than commercials for communism that appropriated the experimental devices he'd forged throughout the 60s. The film is nothing but Juliet Berto and Jean-Pierre Leaud on a dark soundstage pretentiously rambling on about true images/sound with tons of non-sequitor juxtapositions of, well, decontextualized images and sound for 90 minutes. About the only thing that keeps it from being a complete waste is that one does has to admire how much Godard is still experimenting with cinematic form, moving close at times here to structuralism. There are plenty of interesting techniques that would be appropriated by other filmmakers in much more interesting contexts (like Anno in EOTV) for decades to come.
It took me like four or five days to get through this. A rough watch, though not quite as rough as A Film Like Any Other. At least you can see Berto and Leaud's faces here.

I will add though that at times some of the images that Godard flashes feel more like excuses for him to share his favorite pornographic image that he found that day, with vague references inserted. Not Safe For WorkWhat Freud and Marx have to do with this hot naked girl, if anything, I'll never know.Not Safe For Work

These parallels between Anno and Godard that keep popping up are curious though, since Anno reportedly had not seen any Godard films when he made Evangelion. Very interesting.

Last edited by Raxivace on Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

There is a "means of production" joke here somewhere.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Derived Absurdity wrote:There is a "means of production" joke here somewhere.
lol
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

A guy on Reddit claims to have a copy of The Mountain Eagle, the lost film Alfred Hitchcock made in the 1920's.

I think his story sounds like some bullshit, though I'd love to be proven wrong.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

So why isn't he sharing it with the rest of us? $$$?
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

If he does really have it, who knows. The impression he's trying to give off is that he doesn't even understand what he's got.

I think he's just trolling though.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Anyway, I saw Affliction a few days ago and thought it was a powerful, stirring, bleak drama. The final image of Nolte's character calmly sipping coffee on the kitchen table while the shed behind him, visible through the window, is crackling with fire is still something I can't shake off. This seems to be Schrader's favorite topic of interest: how one's perception of reality can become so murky, owing to past emotional trauma or hardwired personal beliefs or a new troubling experience, that it leads to their inevitable self-destruction. It's terrifying because it's so real. I may prefer First Reformed because of how it reminded me of Bergman and Bresson, and how it ended on a more cryptic note.

Dead Reckoning was an interesting little film noir featuring Bogart. That's all I have to say about it. I have this trouble with film noirs that I enjoy most of them but they all kind of merge in my head.

Not so much a film noir but a b&w crime drama, The Reckless Moment made more of a memorable impression. What I liked here was how the story focused on a mother trying to hold her family together and pull them through a crisis none of them have any idea about - in the absence of the father. She goes through absolute hell for a week, and when her husband finally calls from his work trip during the film's end, her face is turned from the camera, obscured by the staircase railing, as she tells him she can't wait to see him for Christmas. Packed a punch.

Cry of the City (I keep typing River instead of City for some reason) was well-made and suspenseful. My favorite bit was how the detective played by Victor Mature was able to save the younger brother from a life of criminality. Gotta make them reflect when they're young and still capable of listening. That's how you break the vicious cycle of crime and poverty. In the movies anyway.

Beneath the Western window dressing in the Tall T, the film is really about a woman who realizes what she is worth. There's a glimmer of interesting conversation between the Randolph Scott's heroic character and his captor, Usher (Richard Boone), that seeks to contrast how the two men have the same goal and yet very different methods, but the film's main villain is the spineless husband who rats out his wife's identity - and life - to save his own skin. Good movie.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Haven't seen any of those, though the Tall T seems like it would be right up my alley. All of them sound interesting actually.

I know what you mean about those noirs though. I enjoy them but I've been kind of surprised how little variety there seems to be in the "genre" once you get past the famous classics (Though I've got a couple of those left I guess). It kind of seems like at this point I'd get more out of revisiting my favorites instead of trying to discover new ones to like. None have come even close to hitting me as hard as In a Lonely Place did since I saw that, and that was several years ago at this point.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

^I should clarify I'm really only talking about American noirs here. I think there's still treasures to be found in foreign films noir (The ones I've seen from France and Japan have been pretty good so far at least and have done some neat things) but I also just don't know them nearly as well as I do the American ones.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

210. A Brighter Summer Day (AKA The Youth Killing Incident on Guling Street, 1991, Dir. Edward Yang) - A four-hour film that only feels like a two hour one. If Scorsese and Ozu fused into a super director and made a movie, this might have been the movie that they made, as it has the plot of a Scorsese gangster film like Mean Streets or something but a style closer to someone like Ozu.

The plot loosely is about how a war between gangs of children defusing leads to a young man, Si'r, ultimately doing something that he absolutely regrets, though just recounting that doesn't do this movie justice. What this movie really excels out is not only crafting a believable world for all of these characters to inhabit, but the 80+ speaking parts in the movie itself all have a believable amount of depth and history here and, I don't care how smart you are, you can't possibly pick up on all of it with just a single viewing. This is a film that demands multiple looks not only to make sense of some of the complicated character relationships, but just to soak in all of the detail just packed into here.

I liked this movie as I was watched it, but I wasn't sure I really liked it until that final twenty or so minutes. That last scene in particular is just brutal and made me realize that this whole thing is a tragedy. A tragedy built from tiny piece to tiny piece, being so slowly and meticulously that I didn't even realize what was happening until it was too late. And yet looking back, it seems simultaneously inevitable and like something that could have been stopped if just one thing had changed. If just one part of society hadn't failed here.
Anyways this is a masterpiece I can't even begin to do justice. I'm definitely hooked into not only exploring more of Yang's films but more of this Tawaineese New Wave in general.

Also, Bordwell has a good piece on ABSD, which lead me to watching…

211. A Brighter Summer Day (AKA The Youth Killing Incident on Guling Street, 1991, Dir. Edward Yang, Rewatch) - Yeah I watched this four hour film again today, this time with the extremely good audio commentary track by Tony Rayns. It did a fantastic job helping explain some of the plot stuff I had trouble following the first time through, as well as a lot of the motifs that run throughout ABSD and what they might mean. The thing about Si's failing eyesight was something I missed outright through most of my first watch too (When Si'r's dad mentioned saving money to buy him glasses was when I first realized something was up), but sure enough its threaded out throughout the movie beforehand.

Rayns makes an interesting criticism in saying he doesn't think Ming works as a character, arguing that it's a mistake to present her as “too unknowable" or something to the other characters (Particularly the male ones). I'm not sure I agree with that, especially when a lot of the movie is about how people's biases prevent them from acting rightly or seeing clearly, so to the speak.

Oh yeah, it was also mentioned that Yang saw Aguirre: The Wrath of God at USC. It seems it wasn't that Yang wanted to be Herzog as much as Yang wanted to make personal films unlike what was being taught at USC when he was studying there, but not necessarily films that Herzog himself wanted to make.

I'd be curious to know what some of Yang's other influences were. The kids watching the film production from the rafters made me think of Citizen Kane, and I know there were two other shots that heavily reminded me of The Third Man and Rear Window. All three of those movies are otherwise very different from ABSD though.

212. A View to a Kill (1985, Dir. John Glen) - The last of the Roger Moore Bond films. Not a great a film by any means, but its goofiness was a nice reprieve from the heaviness of two ABSD viewings. Christopher Walken was dopey as the villain, and I liked Tanya Roberts and Grace Jones here.

I am kind of ready to move on from Moore himself though. It's been fun but its time for some new blood.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

I watched ABSD a long time ago and I just have a vague recollection of it. Oddly, the part of the film that has stuck with me could be its least consequential, when one of the kids lip syncs to an Western tune (Elvis Presley?) on stage. Definitely going to see it again, and then read that Bordwell piece.

I'm a couple of movies behind you on Bond. For Your Eyes Only is supposed to be my next Bond adventure. This may be an unpopular opinion but I prefer Moore's Bond to Connery's. There was just something really sleazy in Connery's portrayal (I'm still not over the Pussy Galore rape scene in Goldfinger).
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

maz89 wrote:I watched ABSD a long time ago and I just have a vague recollection of it. Oddly, the part of the film that has stuck with me could be its least consequential, when one of the kids lip syncs to an Western tune (Elvis Presley?) on stage. Definitely going to see it again, and then read that Bordwell piece.
Yeah that's a great bit.

The use of Elvis music in the movie is interesting because the commentary about it I've read seems ambivalent. I see some critics present its popularity in Taiwan as tragic; that American imperialism has helped (But not solely, there's the history of Japan to consider too, the presence of samurai swords as violent weapons etc.) destroyed any sense of local culture in Taiwan. I've seen similar interpretations of Taipei Story too.

OTOH Yang himself talked about how Elvis' music still represented a sense of rebellion to youth in Taiwan at the time (Not dissimilar to what it represented to American kids of the same era), and I don't really think its deployed ironically in the film either. Even the shot at the film's end of Cat's tape for Si'r talking about Elvis (I think it even contained a recording of one of Cat's covers) just casually being thrown away by the prison warden after he lies about intending to deliver it seems genuinely sad to me.
I'm a couple of movies behind you on Bond. For Your Eyes Only is supposed to be my next Bond adventure. This may be an unpopular opinion but I prefer Moore's Bond to Connery's. There was just something really sleazy in Connery's portrayal (I'm still not over the Pussy Galore rape scene in Goldfinger).
That's a troubling part of Goldfinger though even with it I'd still say its one of the better Bond movies.

EDIT: On a related note I'd be curious know how you interpret The Witch, since you brought it up recently, because that's a film I do think is misogynistic from the ground up.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

Raxivace wrote:The use of Elvis music in the movie is interesting because the commentary about it I've read seems ambivalent. I see some critics present its popularity in Taiwan as tragic; that American imperialism has helped (But not solely, there's the history of Japan to consider too, the presence of samurai swords as violent weapons etc.) destroyed any sense of local culture in Taiwan. I've seen similar interpretations of Taipei Story too.

OTOH Yang himself talked about how Elvis' music still represented a sense of rebellion to youth in Taiwan at the time (Not dissimilar to what it represented to American kids of the same era), and I don't really think its deployed ironically in the film either. Even the shot at the film's end of Cat's tape for Si'r talking about Elvis (I think it even contained a recording of one of Cat's covers) just casually being thrown away by the prison warden after he lies about intending to deliver it seems genuinely sad to me.
Interesting thoughts, both of those perspectives make sense. It never struck me as tragic though. There was something instantly heartwarming, familiar and innocent about the performance that connected with me viscerally. In a movie that was otherwise bleak.

Speaking of Yang, I should probably check out Taipei Story. I've seen ABSD and Yi Yi, both of which I absolutely love (despite my poor memory of the former, lol).
Raxivace wrote:
That's a troubling part of Goldfinger though even with it I'd still say its one of the better Bond movies.
I agree, it's overall a top Bond film. My favorite Bond film may surprise you: On Her Majesty's Secret Service. The Swiss alps setting and the angels of death being hypnotized by a villain with a goofy plan for world domination is classic Bond, but Lady Olenna Tyrell and actual, serious stakes for Bond made it feel different from the others. I actually thought Lazenby turned in a good performance too. So unfortunate he let his fame get to his head.
Raxivace wrote:EDIT: On a related note I'd be curious know how you interpret The Witch, since you brought it up recently, because that's a film I do think is misogynistic from the ground up.
The characters are, yes, and by design. They serve as a reflection of the world and its terrible, horrifying history with women. The girl in the film, likewise, is distrusted, blamed, and beaten by her closest relatives for things she has no control of. The film becomes a kind of twisted, sick, self-fulfilling prophecy where the only refuge this innocent girl can find is in the hands of the devil. And the whole thing is done so well (visuals, period setting, acting) that by the end of the film, it almost does come as a relief that she is 'saved', even if by the devil.

What's your take on Kaurismaki? I've seen only a handful of his films but his Bresson-reminiscent minimalism is so memorable. The melodrama is toned down to the point that actors only allow a hint of emotion to color the dialogue (which is still different from Bresson's completely acting-with-the-eyes-only approach), and the camera functions as a calm observer, unflinching and meditative. Recently, I saw The Other Side of Hope, which is about a Syrian refugee who tries to make a home in Finland, and it struck a chord with me.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Raxivace wrote:EDIT: On a related note I'd be curious know how you interpret The Witch, since you brought it up recently, because that's a film I do think is misogynistic from the ground up.
Go on.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I could respond to the last couple of posts, or I could post the trailer to Detective Pikachu.

Apparently the way to save American neo-noir was actually just to make Pikachu the main character. I will see this movie.
maz89
Ultra Poster

Post by maz89 »

That was horrible.
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

Raxivace wrote:210. A Brighter Summer Day (AKA The Youth Killing Incident on Guling Street, 1991, Dir. Edward Yang)
Yay! It took a while for you to get around to it, but it was definitely worth the wait. Glad you agree about its masterpiece status. Here's what I wrote back when I finally got to see the Criterion blu-ray (copied from our IMDb documents so the formatting is wonky. I've fixed it AMAP):
A Brighter Summer Day - Edward Yang -- 10/10

It's incredibly apropos that, at one point in the film, the ex--gang leader Honey, after his return from exile,
mentions War & Peace as the one novel whose lessons about the martial arts (as in war) stayed with him;
apropos because ABSD is one of the truly novelistic films with (reportedly) over 100 speaking parts, and the
way it creates its epic sweep through an abundance of interrelated details rather than its sheer length or visual
canvass—ala Lawrence of Arabia, by comparison—vividly recalls Tolstoy's masterpiece.

Consequentially, the plot is too complex to easily summarize, but I'll try my best. It focuses on teenager, Xiao
Si'r, and his family of Taiwanese immigrants in the 1960s, after having escaped from Mainland communist
China. The sense of dispossession, alienation, and loss of identity is palpable throughout the film, and is
dramatically communicated primarily through the warring street-gangs—The Little Park Boys and 217s. Si'r is
more of a loner, preferring to read and write in his journal rather than join the gangs, but when he falls in love
with Ming, the girlfriend of Honey, he finds himself inevitably drawn into their world of violence.

This summary, however, does a gross injustice to the film's numerous (often key) supporting characters, as
well as the crucially important historical setting. The title, after all, gets its name from the (misunderstood?)
lyrics of the Elvis Presley song, Are You Lonesome Tonight, and the pervasiveness of American culture—the
music, the clothes, the movies, the James Dean swagger—provides a rich socio-cultural context.

Criterion's release features a superbly insightful feature--length commentary by Tony Rayns.
It's almost a must-listen for anyone who watches the film, if only for how Rayns details these contextual elements that Yang only
hints at. Rayns also mentions that before becoming a filmmaker, director Edward Yang studied computer
science. Rayns (rightfully) claims that this accounts for Yang's balance of a left--brained objectivity and analysis
and right--brained subjectivity and empathy; I'd also argue it accounts for his approach to narrative, which he
constructs from a wealthy network of recurring and interrelated motifs—almost like a computer system. Rayns
mentions many of these but fails to note some of the more interesting cases and their relationship.

I'd argue that the two primary motifs are light and weapons. The film opens with a hand switching on a
hanging light bulb. Throughout the film during the gang wars we see characters racing around to pick up
weapons. This “light" motif is echoed by Si'r's failing eyesight and his theft of a flashlight that he uses to read
in bed. Early on, Yang composes shots so that half the frame is lit and half the frame is dark, so that Si'r is
often seen moving from one into the other. The film brilliantly portrays its central conflict—Si'r's ability to
maintain a virtuous righteousness and not fall into the myopic darkness of violence—through many scenes
where he's tempted to pick up his own weapons. In an early scene, Si'r grabs a bat when he's pushed by Sly,
the gang member who's tried to take over as leader in Honey's absence. Later, when the local grocer, who
holds a jealous grudge against Si'r's family, is drunkenly walking home, we see a closeup of Si'r picking up a
brick, tempted to hit him, as a street light glows in the background (the brick itself echoes the early scene in
which Sly hits a 217 gang member with a brick). Later still during one of the three encounters between Si'r, his
father, and school officials, in perhaps the film's most powerful symbolic image, Si'r destroys a lightbulb with a
bat.

Yang himself was a member of Taiwan's New Cinema movement along with other luminary Hou Hsiao--hsien,
and one could argue that A Brighter Summer Day is Yang's answer to a trio of Hou films in which the personal,
memorial, autobiography mixed with a sharp view of Taiwanese society: The Time to Live and the Time to Die,
Dust in the Wind, and, most importantly, A City of Sadness. From the former two Yang takes Hou's
personalized approach, viewing events through the intimately sympathetic lens of a family, and a rich,
nostalgic tonal quality. ABSD especially shares the dusty, diffused hues of Dust in the Wind, creating a rich
visual texture. However, Yang's formalism owes most to A City of Sadness. Like that film, Yang makes usage
of spatial motifs and distance, where certain scenes are constantly returned to in identical composition. This
allows these spaces to build up emotional resonance because of the life that occurs there. Also like A City of
Sadness, Yang stages his eruptive violence through these spaces. The hospital that fills up with bodies in A City
of Sadness becomes the pool hall massacre in ABSD. Yang also combines the spatial element with the light
motif, so that when the violence reaches its crescendo it does so in total darkness. At one point, Si'r's stolen
flashlight is the only illumination as he looks on horrified at the aftermath.

Beyond these overarching motifs, Yang also creates such links through scenic transitions, often utilizing them
to elaborate on the film's themes. In one scene, Ming comes on to find her mother having a severe asthma
attack. She takes her to the hospital and we see her walking out of the room and towards the camera, her
sadness and stress visible on her face. From this, Yang cuts to a close--up of her crying, but it's quickly
revealed that this is, in fact, her screen test to be an actress in a local production. The blurred line between
truth and fiction is one of the film's many tangential themes, beautifully expressed here. It also sums up
Ming's character, whose meaning and motivations Si'r constantly struggles with (and fails) to understand. We
also see it in a scene where Si'r goes out hunting with his best friend, Ma, and Yang cuts from the gun shots in
real life to the gun shots of Si'r and others watching a film in a theater with gunshots. This in itself echoes two
scenes in which Si'r puts on a “movie gangster" hat and plays by using his finger as a gun. He turns around
and “shoots" Ming who appears in the doorway behind him. Later, Ming points a real gun at Si'r (not knowing
it's real, or loaded), and “shoots" at him.

While most of these connections build up the film's thematic substance, Yang predominantly uses them to
advance the narrative, and because of Yang's ability to often balance numerous narrative threads within the
same scene—it's not uncommon for his camera to start on one character or group, follow them, and pick up
another; or even maintain multiple characters and groups in multiple layers of the image—the result is one of
the most narratively rich films in cinema history that almost demands multiple viewings. It's also why the 4-
hour run-time flies by as no scene is superfluous, and Yang is surprisingly economic in his handling. He's less
inclined to languorously hang on images and scenes for their poetic beauty or emphasize ephemeral tonal
qualities ala his New Taiwanese contemporaries like Hou and Tsai. This may either be a strength or weakness
depending on your perspective.

ABSD shares most of these techniques with Yang's other masterpiece, Yi Yi, but the two films couldn't be more
different otherwise. Yi Yi is humanistically poignant whereas ABSD is ruthlessly bleak. The family in Yi Yi
suffers their own hardships in relation to modern--day Taiwan, but many of them are personal and universal—a
teenager's first love, Yang- Yang's discovery of photography—and the closing speech suggests hope and
promise. ABSD's characters, however, seems like helpless victims of a pervasively corrupt system. Besides
Si'r's struggle to maintain his sense of virtue, his father's torturous interrogation at the hands of the secret
police nearly break his spirit, and thus that of the family's. In an early scene of quiet wisdom, the father had
praised Si'r for refusing to take the blame for something he didn't do, stating those who'd take the easy way
and give in could do all kinds of horrible things. Throughout most of the film, Si'r maintains his virtue despite
temptations. This is one reason why the ending is so overwhelmingly devastating.

ABSD is not an easy film. During a first viewing most will be occupied just trying to keep track of who's who
and their relations. It is, however, an investment worth making. There also aren't many films composed on an
epic scale with such detail while making sure that the whole is greater than the sum. Yang has that rare magic
of being able to wring the utmost power from the smallest of moments, so that even a broken radio at the
end, announcing the names of students who have made it to the next school level, carries an emotional
wallop. There also aren't many sprawling artistic masterpieces that are as humble as they are humbling: A
Brighter Summer Day is one of them.
I think your "Scorsese meets Ozu" comparison is pretty spot-on. I guess in that case, Yi Yi is more Ozu without the Scorsese (though Yang's formalism is different than Ozu's). Yeah, that final scene is as powerful as any I've ever seen in film, and even though on first watch it seems like it comes out of nowhere, upon rewatches it seems almost tragically inevitable, especially once you follow the development of the film's various motifs. I read that Bordwell article after I wrote my review, and I'm not sure if I was happy or sad that he'd already written about the stuff I noted... I guess I should be happy that I had noticed what probably the greatest cinema academic mind of our time noticed, lol. Glad you also watched it twice. I've now seen it three times, once with the commentary. First was on a laserdisc-to-DVD transfer long before the Criterion version was released. I could appreciate its greatness back then but it really took the Criterion version for me to fully absorb it.

I really do hope you explore the Taiwanese New Wave more. The sad part is that Hou's two best films aren't even available on DVD, and the versions floating around out there are piss-poor quality (the DVD release of Puppetmaster, now long OOP, cropped its wide-screen format to 4:3). All of those after that are/were on DVD, but many also long OOP. Luckily, three of his masterpeices are available on blu-ray (Time to Live and the Time to Die, Dust in the Wind, and The Assassin), but only the last one is easy to find. I have the former two on a limited Taiwanese release that's now also hard to find. If you want I could upload them to a torrent or something.
Raxivace wrote:212. A View to a Kill (1985, Dir. John Glen) - The last of the Roger Moore Bond films. Not a great a film by any means, but its goofiness was a nice reprieve from the heaviness of two ABSD viewings. Christopher Walken was dopey as the villain, and I liked Tanya Roberts and Grace Jones here.

I am kind of ready to move on from Moore himself though. It's been fun but its time for some new blood.
Yeah, those last few Moore Bonds don't deserve much commentary. Their just goofy and kinda suck-ass, but I can see them being a fun diversion after something as long and heavy as ABSD.
Raxivace wrote:209. Le Gai Savoir (AKA Joy of Learning, 1969, Dir. Jean-Luc Godard) - Yeah I'm just gonna quote Jimbo's brief review from the IMDb days here since I largely agree with it.
:) Still planning on making the trip through 70s Godard? That's a lot of crap to wade through! I'm at least interested to hear what you have to say about Numero Deux.

Maybe that image explains why Godard loved Marx/communism so much; to him it was like sex!
Raxivace wrote:These parallels between Anno and Godard that keep popping up are curious though, since Anno reportedly had not seen any Godard films when he made Evangelion. Very interesting.
Godard's influence spread pretty quickly throughout cinema, so it's entirely possible Anno saw some films from directors influenced by Godard. Though TBH I can't think of any that did that "characters talking directly about themes on a dark sound stage" thing since Godard except for Anno. Would love to know where he got the inspiration from that. I will say though that the Japanese New Wave had plenty of Godard-isms themselves, sometimes even weirder. See Eros + Massacre for an example.
Raxivace wrote:205. The Other Side of the Wind (2018, Dir. The ghost of Orson Welles)
This really does sound excellent. I've never been quite the Welles fan that you are (I think he made three masterpieces, and everything after that is good-to-brilliant, but not masterpieces), but he's never not interesting at the least.
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

maz89 wrote:Not so much a film noir but a b&w crime drama, The Reckless Moment made more of a memorable impression. What I liked here was how the story focused on a mother trying to hold her family together and pull them through a crisis none of them have any idea about - in the absence of the father. She goes through absolute hell for a week, and when her husband finally calls from his work trip during the film's end, her face is turned from the camera, obscured by the staircase railing, as she tells him she can't wait to see him for Christmas. Packed a punch.
I remember kinda liking this one but not much else. Saw it and many of Ophuls's lesser-known films around the same time and they've kinda blurred together. I think I have a review in one of those IMDb docs...

Here it is:
The Reckless Moment (Max Ophuls) - 6.5/10

Ophuls's last American film is also his most neglected. It stars Joan Bennett as Lucia Harper, a housewife
whose life is turned upside down after the accidental killing of her daughter's lover. As she desperately tries to
hide the crime, she's confronted by a blackmailer, Martin Donnelly (James Mason), who threatens to release
the couple's love letters.

The film maintains a fascinatingly subdued tension, especially surprising given that it hybridizes two genres,
the domestic melodrama and noir--like crime film, not known for being underplayed. There's likewise a
fascinating shift as Bennett's Lucia goes from a mother hell--bent on protecting the family dynamic, to a woman
who finds herself drawn to Mason's vulnerable and sympathetic blackmailer, himself more a victim of his own
class and social circles. Though interesting from a formal perspective, it doesn't quite work in practice, with
the dramatic impact of many scenes blunted by the strategy.

Ophuls's American films are an interesting study in European artistry working within the economic confines of
the American studio system. One can see the compromises in how the director has pared down his elaborately
baroque moving camera; it's still here, but with nowhere near the complexity and lush beauty of his late
French films.

Particularly notable is the paralleled crane shots near the beginning and end as Lucia descends the stairs to
take a phone call from her absent (during the war) husband; the first suggests her longing to restore the
patriarchal order of the family dynamic; but the second, after Mason dies, frames her through
the bars of the staircase, suggesting her self--imposed imprisonment in the world she'd fought so hard to
protect.