Cockroach milk

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Cockroach milk

Post by Anakin McFly »

CashRules
Ultimate Poster

Re: Cockroach milk

Post by CashRules »

__
You can't hang a man for killing a woman who's trying to steal his horse.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

...ok, that's weirder than cockroach milk.
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

I mean, if it's safe and tastes fine, I'd be cool with it (well, if it's lactose free....)
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

Actually sounds pretty interesting. Finding more sustainable, environmental/animal friendly sources of protein is a good thing. I've even thought of buying some products made with cricket protein.
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." -- Carl Jung
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

I prefer what these people are doing: http://www.perfectdayfoods.com/ - it's actual cow's milk, but produced in a lab without the cows. Other startups have been working on culturing leather and other animal products, so it's a fascinating field that will hopefully one day help to meet demand and possibly perfectly replace products from actual animals. They're a lot more resource-efficient, no animals get harmed, and the final products could be of higher quality since they can control everything at the cellular level.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

do you just love torturing me with this stuff
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

yes
Monk
Ultra Poster

Post by Monk »

Anakin McFly wrote:I prefer what these people are doing: http://www.perfectdayfoods.com/ - it's actual cow's milk, but produced in a lab without the cows. Other startups have been working on culturing leather and other animal products, so it's a fascinating field that will hopefully one day help to meet demand and possibly perfectly replace products from actual animals. They're a lot more resource-efficient, no animals get harmed, and the final products could be of higher quality since they can control everything at the cellular level.
Disregarding the fact that predicting the future is usually a fool's errand, I expect that this will likely be the future of things, along with lab-grown meats.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

tbh my one reservation about lab-grown meats is that it's almost inevitable that some lab, somewhere, is going to start producing human meat and that gives me a lot of existential horror at how we are all food, everybody is potential food, everything alive on this planet is food
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

Reality gives me existential horror every single day, so I don't have any worries there.