We're having a cold spell here!

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

We're having a cold spell here!

Post by Anakin McFly »

Temperatures have dipped to about 22-24C (72-75F) over the past few days, occasionally as low as 21, which is practically freezing. Naturally, people have been breaking out their winter clothes, scarves and all. Volunteers have been going out to distribute blankets to homeless people. Restaurants are losing business because it's too cold to sit outside. Doctors are giving advice on how to stay warm.

I don't think I've ever experienced such a long period of cold weather here in my lifetime. It's amazing and magical and I wish it could last forever, but eventually we're going to have to return to the sort of regular equatorial weather where your fingers start sweating the moment you step outside.

http://www.straitstimes.com/multimedia/ ... -singapore
Boomer
Super Poster

Re: We're having a cold spell here!

Post by Boomer »

Blankets and scarves for 70+ degree weather? That's shorts weather where I'm from. Gonna be -6F here tomorrow!
...the only people for me are the mad ones...
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

D:

On the flip side, I was chilling with another Singaporean friend in NYC during a heatwave and the news was going on about how people were being hospitalised for heatstrokes. We thought it was nice cool weather and didn't get the fuss.

Just looked this up in Wikipedia and found a study summarised with: "When humans are exposed to certain climates for extended periods of time, physiological changes occur to help the individual adapt to hot or cold climates. This helps the body conserve energy."

I guess that explains things.
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

Boomer wrote:Blankets and scarves for 70+ degree weather? That's shorts weather where I'm from.
Ditto. We just had a stretch of sub-10F weather here recently. I'd kill for low/mid-70s!
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." -- Carl Jung
Boomer
Super Poster

Post by Boomer »

Anakin McFly wrote:I was chilling with another Singaporean friend in NYC during a heatwave
I see what you did there.
...the only people for me are the mad ones...
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

This was an educational thread on why it's been feeling colder than it should, some of which I figured was the case:
https://www.reddit.com/r/singapore/comm ... h=069066cd

- we are a very windy country, so there's a lot of wind chill
- extremely high humidity, sometimes at 100%, where water is a good conductor of heat and thus makes cold weather feel colder and hot weather feel hotter
- it has been raining non-stop the past week or so. the skies are perpetually overcast. there is no sun.
- all the buildings and other infrastructure here are designed for very hot weather and to be efficient at cooling down. bathroom ventilation is perpetually open. there is no insulation. there is no heating. walls are designed to disperse heat. homes don't have carpets. floors in homes are made of hardwood and tiles and marble and similar materials, and we walk around in bare feet. (i have since obtained bedroom slippers.)

Weather is weird.