Annihilation

Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Annihilation

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

Not a bad Sci Fi movie from Alex Garland, director of Ex Machina. Pay off may not be as satisfying and much more ambiguous.

I do encourage anyone in the United States, Canada, or China to see it in theaters because there is a lot lost on smaller screens. WHy just those 3 countries. Because everywhere else, it is getting a Netflix release. Please go see it. We need to support these kinds of movies.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Re: Annihilation

Post by Cassius Clay »

I've been hearing it's really good. And I keep hearing that Paramount did a bad job promoting/distributing because they didn't have faith in a bunch of women carrying a sci-fi, action movie. Now I'm really curious.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Haven't seen it, though the trailer made it look like it was only a watered down, mindless version of Stalker.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Faustus5
Super Poster

Post by Faustus5 »

I don't drive and the limited release in the states is making it really difficult for me to get to this movie. I think my neighborhood theater was going to show it but decided to give Black Panther an extra screen, instead. Which kind of makes sense for them, I get it.

And I know it is heresy to say so, but I do not understand Stalker's status as a classic. It was beautifully shot to be sure, but as far as I'm concerned there wasn't much depth to it.
Unvoiced_Apollo
Ultimate Poster

Post by Unvoiced_Apollo »

Cassius Clay wrote:I've been hearing it's really good. And I keep hearing that Paramount did a bad job promoting/distributing because they didn't have faith in a bunch of women carrying a sci-fi, action movie. Now I'm really curious.
Raxivace wrote:Haven't seen it, though the trailer made it look like it was only a watered down, mindless version of Stalker.
Never heard of Stalker. Year and synopsis?

I should also add, it has indeed been terribly promoted. It's more sci fi mystery/suspense than it is action. And the trailer is poorly done and does not reflect the type of movie it is.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:Never heard of Stalker. Year and synopsis?
Came out in 1979, probably the most famous Russian film of the last 50 years. I'll just quote Criterion's plot description.
Andrei Tarkovsky's final Soviet feature is a metaphys-ical journey through an enigmatic postapocalyptic landscape, and a rarefied cinematic experience like no other. A hired guide—the Stalker—leads a writer and a professor into the heart of the Zone, the restricted site of a long-ago disaster, where the three men eventually zero in on the Room, a place rumored to fulfill one's most deeply held desires. Adapting a science-fiction novel by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky, Tarkovsky created an immersive world with a wealth of material detail and a sense of organic atmosphere. A religious allegory, a reflection of contemporaneous political anxieties, a meditation on film itself—Stalker envelops the viewer by opening up a multitude of possible meanings.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris