DVD collection

Gendo
Site Admin

DVD collection

Post by Gendo »

It just occurred to me that I don't think I've talked about my DVD collection since all our new resident cinephiles have joined us.

So I started collecting DVDs about 13 years ago, when I worked at a video rental store. The collection has now reached 2018 titles (matches the current year). Not counting my recent order, and a few things getting double-counted due to being part of multiple editions / sets that I have.

I use Film Aficionado to keep track of what I own, and which ones I've seen or not:

http://gendoikari.filmaf.com/owned?rc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I like that site because it doesn't just track if you own a movie (like you can do on IMDB), but it tracks the specific edition that you have.

There's a lot of movies I want but don't own yet, because I'm pretty frugal when it comes to buying movies... I'll always wait until I find a good deal; that's why there's nothing from 2018 on there.

Anyway, anyone else a collector?
Gendo
Site Admin

Re: DVD collection

Post by Gendo »

Also, just checked through things and discovered that I do own at least 1 movie from every year between 1927 and 2017, except for 1948 and 1949. That being said; any good recommendations for films from those years to keep an eye out for?

*Edit* Looks like 1948 is covered by Killer Diller in that 50 Musicals set. So just 1949 to go.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

For 1949 the sadly out of print Criterion edition of The Third Man is the best one to own IMO.

First 1948 films that come to my mind are Rope and Bicycle Thieves but those are uh very different movies. There's The Red Shoes as well which I know a lot of people like but I haven't sat down to watch yet.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Anyways I'm not familiar with that Film Aficionado site but it seems pretty neat. Might make an account on there at some point.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Welp. Made an account after all.

I don't collect quite as many DVD's and such as I used to, though I've still got plenty lying around that need to be entered in. This is a start, at least.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

It's cool because when I look at your collection; it says which ones I have, although only if they're the same edition.

You have the Puffy Shirt Seinfeld set!

I hate those 4 film favorite collections. I have a couple, but I hate them. Just so poorly produced. And the worst is when the movies aren't even part of the same series.
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

My DVD/blu-ray collection shrank dramatically once Netflix came about. Now, my collection consists mostly of Criterion blu-rays (because their extras are worth it), and DVDs/blu-rays from the UK (and elsewhere) that aren't available in the US. I haven't counted lately, but I'm guessing my collection is ~400.
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." -- Carl Jung