Apologies to Ryan Gosling

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Apologies to Ryan Gosling

Post by Cassius Clay »

I finally saw Blade Runner....it was pretty damn good. I remember making fun a Ryan Gosling's almost-robotic acting when the trailer first came out...because it just seemed to be an annoying gimmick. I said I liked his acting in 'Drive', but now he just seems to be doing the same robotic bullshit...thinking it was probably because he couldn't really act. I admit I was wrong. That kind of performance works in the film for obvious reasons, but additionally, the subtle expressions he makes actually convey emotion pretty effectively. And, to me, when he does have large emotional outbursts/expressions, they seem more meaningful.

Gosling has been in a bunch of movies I like(or where I enjoyed his performance)... Like 'Crazy, Stupid, Love'(even though I usually don't like romantic comedies), 'Place beyond the Pines', 'Nice Guys', 'Blue Valenetine'...so I wasn't sure why I had this bad impression of Gosling as an actor, then it dawned on me that, way back, he was on this dumb show called "Young Hercules". My feelings at the time were that Kevin Sorbo was really all the Hercules this world needed...nobody asked for this "young hercules" bs spin-off. Gosling was also in "The Notebook"...a film I despise even though I haven't seen it. Probably 'cause my girlfriends, female friends and family members loved it and I was sick of hearing about it. And I guess I couldn't take an actor seriously if they starred in that kind of movie.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: Apologies to Ryan Gosling

Post by Raxivace »

Yeah, Gosling has pretty decent range as an actor. It's not like anyone will be confusing K in Blade Runner for his character in La La Land.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

The Notebook was actually a decent flick, although it paved the way for a whole heap of shitty Nicholas Sparks movies.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

BruceSmith78 wrote:The Notebook was actually a decent flick, although it paved the way for a whole heap of shitty Nicholas Sparks movies.
Can't say for sure why, but I've always loved A Walk to Remember, which came before The Notebook. I mean, I know it's not good. But I love it.

The Notebook is ok. I never bought into his actual love for her (before they were old). We're supposed to believe that a 17 year old kid hangs out with a girl for 2 months, doesn't see her again for several years, and has been madly in love with her this entire time? That's not love, that's creepy stalking. It's basically the plot of Attack of the Clones. I'm sorry, but you can believe in true love all you want, but if you only knew a girl for a couple years, when you weren't an adult yet, you would have long since moved on several years later. Her actual fiance was much better than Noah; she should have stuck with him. I remember thinking/hoping that the twist was going to be that the old husband was actually the fiance, not Noah. That would have been so much better.

But it's still ok. The parts when they're old are really good.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

The Notebook sucked!