Traveling

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Traveling

Post by Cassius Clay »

I know there only a couple basketball people here, but my newest pet peeve is people complaining about traveling who don't know what they're talking about. In basketball, before you shoot or pass, you are allowed 2 steps after you pick up the ball. It seems that a good chunk of fans(and even some players) don't know what "picking up the ball" means. To "pick up" the ball means to end a live dribble. Meaning, once you grab the ball with two hands, carry it with one and/or palm it, your dribble is no longer live...you can no longer legally bounce the ball again. Once that occurs, that is when you count the steps. James Harden is some kind of basketball genius, so he has figured out how to push the limits of the rule to avoid travel. Actually, he hasn't figured anything out...because people have been doing what he does for a long ass time, just not nearly as often(or as well) as Harden does it. Harden often delays the "pick up" of the ball after his final bounce(without carrying or palming), so he is often able to get an unusual amount of steps in after the last bounce of the ball...which gives him a lot of time/options and separation to score/pass the ball. The problem is that people are accustomed to seeing players only take twos steps after the last bounce....so they whine about traveling. But the rule doesn't say last bounce...it specifies 2 steps after the pick up. People are so annoyingly biased and stubborn that only about 5 percent of people I've explained this to over the years have conceded and been like "oh, I get it now. my mistake." They refuse to question their incorrect assumptions.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Re: Traveling

Post by BruceSmith78 »

I thought this thread was going to be about a trip you were taking.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Re: Traveling

Post by Cassius Clay »

Well, my foot's gonna take a trip up someone's ass if I see another wrongheaded complaint about traveling.