Random news/topics/opinions(contribute your own if want)

Here you can talk about anything that isn't covered by the other categories.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Random news/topics/opinions(contribute your own if want)

Post by Cassius Clay »

Mass shooters who kill themselves make me wish hell existed

Respect to Adam Pally for what he did at the "Shorty" awards

Anybody following this gruesome Kim Wall murder trial?

Allison Mack from 'Smallville' has been is facing trial for involvement in a sex cult. Wtf?
Gendo
Site Admin

Re: Random news/topics/opinions(contribute your own if want)

Post by Gendo »

-It does.

-Who?

-Who?

-Yeah, I first read about the cult about a year ago actually. Hopefully recent events mean it will be shut down.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Gendo wrote:-It does.

-Who?

-Who?

-Yeah, I first read about the cult about a year ago actually. Hopefully recent events mean it will be shut down.
Adam Pally is a comedian who was invited to the "Shorty" awards to present, and he decided to shit on the whole thing until someone was sent on stage to replace him. It was pretty entertaining.

Kim Wall was a well-known, Swedish(i think), journalist who had written for some major publications. Last year, she was writing an article on a well-known Danish engineer who had built his own personal submarine(the guy had previously given a ted talk). He invited her on a submarine ride, but he turned out to be a psycho. He tortured her, killed her, and dismembered her body. They found snuff films on his computer. I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this insane story.

Another story I can't make sense of is Allison Mack being a predator. She seemed so damn sweet.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

You heard Lana Lang (Kristen Kruek or however the fuck it's spelled) recruited her into the cult? I didn't read much into it, but that was my understanding from a cursory glance.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

The Kim Wall thing is some seriously insane shit.

Go Cynthia Nixon!

They're gonna make a How To Train Your Dragon 3. Sigh. I hope it's better than the second one. Unless it gets legitimately rave reviews I'm probably gonna skip it.

Wtf is this thing with Kanye West and Candace Owens? Why do I live in a world where I actually know who Candace Owens is now?

The U.S. is attempting to create yet another humanitarian disaster in Latin America by trying to cut Nicaragua off from receiving foreign assistance from international financial institutions, which would drastically cripple its social services. Along with its recent illegal bombing of Damascus and destruction of a medical research facility, along with its support of Saudi Arabia's attempted genocide in Yemen, I have very strong "Death to America"-type feelings at the moment.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Ah, I thought I hadn't heard of the Shorty Awards, but now I see that they're the social media thing where JacksFilms had been talking about getting people to vote for him for YouTuber of the Year. I'm happy that he won; given that he's the only person nominated that I've heard of; and I'm a fan.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

BruceSmith78 wrote:You heard Lana Lang (Kristen Kruek or however the fuck it's spelled) recruited her into the cult? I didn't read much into it, but that was my understanding from a cursory glance.
I heard it started as a self-help group and devolved into a sex-trafficking cult. And that Lana Lang left before it got to that level. Which kinda makes sense to me. Because, like 3 years ago, I wondered whatever happened to Allison Mack('cause i used to watch 'Smallville'), 'cause I saw the other actors in different stuff, but she seemed to just disappear. I looked at her instagram and it seemed normal, though she didn't seem to have anything going on in her life career wise. Someone made the point that the fact Lana has been working, while Mack just disappeared, kinda makes her story about leaving the cult/self-help group years ago seem valid.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I heard Kanye did something dumb today, but i haven't looked into it yet.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I'm not sure exactly what it is about this Kim Wall murder that confounds me. I mean...it's not like this is the first psycho murderer we've ever seen. But, it's like why the hell would a 47-year old engineer suddenly decide to commit such a premeditated, gruesome crime? Has he done this before? Did this man seriously devote his life to science/engineering so he could build a submarine where he could torture and kill women? Like with the Vegas shooter...why would a man that age, who has a decent amount of money, suddenly decide to commit the biggest mass shooting in history? And you can see him in the hotel cam footage interacting/joking with the staff like a normal person.

I've only told 1 or 2 people this story...but I've sort of known a guy who was convicted of killing a woman. I had a physics class with him in college. I was never friends or even acquaintances with him...and I wouldn't even remember him if he hadn't raped and killed someone. But his crimes, and the entire situation, haunt and baffle me to this day. His name is John Gaumer...he was dubbed the "UMBC murderer". Yes, I went to UMBC. The only thing I knew about the guy is that we had a physics class together, and we were apparently pursuing the same girl(she was not the girl that was killed). She was in our physics class. I'd seen her around campus, and maybe we had chatted once, but I didn't really know her. We were obviously attracted to each other, so, as kids do, decided to meet up and study together...which was really just an excuse to hook up. As we were leaving class that day, some 6'6" very muscular white guy, who had this weird energy about him held the door open her, then kinda paused and awkwardly walked away. I didn't make much of that at all at the time; and, again, I probably wouldn't remember if that guy hadn't ENDED UP KILLING SOMEBODY. So, this girl and I met up at her dorm and fooled around a little bit. There she told me about this guy in our physics class creeping her out...pursuing her relentlessly and not taking a hint. While she was telling me this, he started sending her messages on AIM(which was really popular at the time)....and he mentioned something to her about me. I think he was asking her who I was and what not...and if she noticed him trying to hold the door for her...or something like that. About a year later, I learn the shocking news that some guy at school had raped and killed a woman he met on myspace. I had no idea it was the same guy...but then a little while later, I'm talking to the girl on AIM and she informs me that the creepy guy was the murderer.

It was a real Image moment for me.

And I can't even imagine how the girl feels. Like, it could've been her.
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Post by phe_de »

Random opinion (or maybe not so random; inspired by the Toronto tragedy):

The day 4chan dies will be a good day for humanity.
Common sense is another word for prejudice.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

phe_de wrote:Random opinion (or maybe not so random; inspired by the Toronto tragedy):

The day 4chan dies will be a good day for humanity.
Hell I'll settle for just /pol/ being completely destroyed.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

at first it didn't compute that a news article about a white Christian Canadian non-immigrant shooter would have hundreds of comments saying that this is proof why immigration and Muslims should be banned.

then I remembered that this was the internet.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

YouGov (polling company) now has a thing where you can look up what Americans think about random things. Now instead of just politicians you can see what people think of celebrities, authors, TV shows, and a whole bunch of other crap. Kind of cool if you like that stuff. I always wanted to know what people thought of people other than politicians.

https://today.yougov.com/topics/technol ... ov-ratings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

'Unbreakable' is M Night's best movie(There's some clunky exposition even in his best films, but they're still great).

Billy Zane in 'Titanic' is one of my favorite movie villains. He's so posh, sassy, and petty. I love it.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Yeah when I rewatched Unbreakable a few years ago I was surprised by how clunky some of the exposition and dialogue was, but I still liked it overall.

I dunno if you saw Split but I thought it was a return to form for Shyamalan. Looking forward to how the sequel to that goes.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Raxivace wrote:Yeah when I rewatched Unbreakable a few years ago I was surprised by how clunky some of the exposition and dialogue was, but I still liked it overall.

I dunno if you saw Split but I thought it was a return to form for Shyamalan. Looking forward to how the sequel to that goes.
I had a similar experience rewatching Unbreakable...that some of the dialogue was just really bad, and felt very much like Shyamalan's style of bad dialogue(which I think is more apparent in his shittier movies). Unbreakable is still the greatest superhero movie I've ever seen(one of the less obvious twists of the movie being that it is indeed a superhero movie...not just a movie about a superhero)...and Mr Glass is such a tragic/eerie supervillain.
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Post by phe_de »

Is feimineachas an nóisean radacach gur is dhaoine mnà iad.

"Feminism is the radical notion that women are people", in (hopefully correct) Irish.
I don't speak Irish and used various online sources to get a translation. But the intended meaning is fitting for these times. Kudos to Ireland!
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

The U.S. Supreme Court just ruled that private sector workers don't have the right to file class action lawsuits against their employees for breaking federal labor laws. Neil Gorsuch, the Trump appointee, was the deciding vote.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2018/05/meto ... ass-action" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Derived Absurdity wrote:The U.S. Supreme Court just ruled that private sector workers don't have the right to file class action lawsuits against their employees for breaking federal labor laws. Neil Gorsuch, the Trump appointee, was the deciding vote.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2018/05/meto ... ass-action" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That summary is a little misleading. The ruling was that they can't fule a class action lawsuit if they signed a contract stating that they can't file a class action lawsuit. If contracts such as that are bad (sounds like they are), then congress need some to pass a law making contracts such as that illegal.

Congress: “Worker can get screwed over."
Supreme Court: “Congress just said that workers can get screwed over."
The people: “Boo, the Supreme Court just screwed us over!"

I don't quite get why people except the court to protect them in cases like this. The court didn't make the laws that screwed the people over. In theory, the court is supposed to be impartial. Their rulings shouldn't have any moral right or wrong to them. In 1861, the court would have ruled that slavery is legal; and it would have been the “correct" ruling.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

That summary is a little misleading. The ruling was that they can't fule a class action lawsuit if they signed a contract stating that they can't file a class action lawsuit.
... Meaning they don't have that right. Yes. You and I must have different definitions of rights.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

There are dozens of definitions of the word “right", but I think what Gendo missed was that you meant the option to file a class action lawsuit against your employer for breaking federal labor laws is not a constitutionally protected right, according to the SCOTUS. Like Congress could pass a law saying it's okay to kill someone at high noon, but if the SCOTUS says it's unconstitutional then it doesn't mean shit.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Derived Absurdity wrote:
That summary is a little misleading. The ruling was that they can't fule a class action lawsuit if they signed a contract stating that they can't file a class action lawsuit.
... Meaning they don't have that right. Yes. You and I must have different definitions of rights.
The implication being that you don't have a right to something, unless nothing can change the fact that you have that right? I guess that's fair... I suppose I misread your statement as “SCOTUS just declared that workers can't file a class action suit"; leaving out the question of whether they have the right or not.

The rest of my response still applies, though. SCOTUS can't decide what rights people have or not. All they did is to tell us what congress said. The injustice is being committed by congress, not by SCOTUS. Well, actually the injustice is being committed employers, but congress is the one that has the power to stop that injustice. SCOTUS doesn't have that power.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

BruceSmith78 wrote:There are dozens of definitions of the word “right", but I think what Gendo missed was that you meant the option to file a class action lawsuit against your employer for breaking federal labor laws is not a constitutionally protected right, according to the SCOTUS. Like Congress could pass a law saying it's okay to kill someone at high noon, but if the SCOTUS says it's unconstitutional then it doesn't mean shit.
Though as I understand it, this one wasn't about deciding if a law was constitutional. It was deciding if a law prevented contracts from not allowing class action lawsuits. If the law doesn't prevent such contracts, then we should be mad at congress for not making such a law.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Lol I'm at my parents house and just ran into my little brother, who's home from college, in a middle-of-the-night-kitchen-run. He didn't have his shirt on and GODDAMN HE GOT JACKED! He's bigger than me now, though he learned working out from me. Meanwhile I've gotten skinny as fuck 'cause I haven't lifted in a while(partly due to back issues). This is completely unacceptable.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

So I definitely fucking spotted Roosh V today in Silver Spring, MD. My step mother is visiting the country with her young son and I was driving them around. He was standing on a street corner. I swear if I didn't have a little kid in my car I would have ran up on him with the heater. [none]

Then a couple hours later, I randomly drive by an old friend I haven't seen in a couple years. Weird day.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

Jesse Singal's latest article on trans kids:
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... ns/561749/

What's frustrating is that there are some actual facts, myth-debunking and good advice mixed in there, along with the misleading use of data and ignorance from someone who both acknowledges that as a cis person he doesn't really understand what trans people are going through, and yet insists on continuing to interview TERFs and write long articles about trans kids.

The Atlantic's Twitter account is publicising the story by pushing the idea that children are being given hormones and surgery the moment if they say they're trans (even adults don't get that), and people who don't bother reading articles before commenting are being outraged. Minimum age for surgery is 18, and only after a lot of painstakingly tedious and expensive assessments. Minimum age for hormones is 16, occasionally earlier but on a case-by-case basis, like if the child is extremely suicidal and previous social transition steps have led to clear improvements, or if theirs is a very clear-cut case of gender dysphoria. No (legit) doctor is cutting up the genitals of 8 year old boys who pick up a Barbie.

I also don't know any trans activist who would be against counselling aimed at helping a dysphoric child come to a better understanding of their gender identity, gently working through any relating trauma that may be confusing the issue; but Singal conflates this with gatekeepers who suggest that someone isn't trans if they're not a stereotype, or who ask kids if they find erect penises arousing, or push reparative therapy, or refuse to let them transition if they have depression (even if it's the dysphoria causing the depression) - those are all rightly fought against, but Singal seems to think that means trans activists want any dysphoric kid to be able to just waltz into a clinic and get hormones, no questions asked. His case study of what he deems an ideal case for transition - supportive family, no mental health problems - is also unrealistic and kind of offensive, given how many trans kids are abused by their family and develop mental illnesses from that as well as societal abuse (which he does acknowledge), as well as the high correlation with autism; to be then denied transition on those grounds is both cruel and unfair.

The detransitioning cases he cites are pretty clearly cases of the person having deeper issues behind their gender dysphoria. I manage a trans resource website and we get quite a few queries from youth questioning their gender, and if those had come to my team, we would have been able to tell that something else was going on, and advised them accordingly. We've done that a few times. Yet the whole article suggests that it's impossible to tell the difference between an actually-trans kid and someone who hates being seen as female because creepy guys keep hitting on her and thinks that transitioning to male is the only way to get them to stop.

It is really not that hard, but the problem is that so many psychs treating trans people are very new to handling trans issues. That needs to be fixed. I've been diagnosed 6 times to date (another 2 times upcoming in Sept, and I'm an adult) by psychs with no consensus criteria, and most of them were disoriented by the slightest deviation from form, such as how I've never dated, or don't want genital surgery not because I'm fine with what I have but because I'm waiting for the future to bring better surgical techniques and/or immersive virtual reality. Apparently none of their clients has brought up VR before. But pointing out that a lot of people seeking help are being met with substandard care, resulting in inaccurate diagnoses, is completely different from concluding that kids and teens may be too young to know if they are trans. They may be too young, but their doctors are not, and it's part of their job to figure out what's really going on. If they don't know enough to do so (and many don't), they should be consulting with trans adults, instead of theorising about us in a vacuum.

tl;dr I could write a much better version of this same article that raises the same concerns but in a much more nuanced way.

EDIT: lol people are being brutal https://twitter.com/search?q=jesse%20singal&src=typd
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I always secretly hated Bill Cosby. I found Dr Huxtable very unlikable and hated how patronizing he was to his kids.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Never watched the show, but was always a pretty big fan of his stand up, especially the "Right" album.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

people are comparing Kavanaugh to Emmett Till
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

HE'S HAVING HIS LIFE RUINED ANAKIN
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

It's ok, he has beer. He likes beer. Many people like beer. Do you like beer?
phe_de
Ultra Poster

Post by phe_de »

Anakin McFly wrote:people are comparing Kavanaugh to Emmett Till
I never heard of Emmett Till until this post. So I looked him up, and his story reminded me of a radio show I had heard decades ago, on French radio station Europe 1, by Pierre Bellemare, in the series "Les dossiers d'Interpol" (the Interpol Files).

It was about a poor white couple in rural southern states in the 1950s. The man's name was Brian Wyler. Then there was a 14 year old black boy named Joshua, who tried to make a pass at Mrs.Wyler as a dare; but then ran away. But Brian Wyler, after beating his wife, and an accomplice named Rodney, went to get Joshua, took him to a forrest or swamp, beat him, and shot him.
Later, police, jury, and judge (all white) sided with Brian Wyler; and despite of a young lawyer who represented Joshua's family and fought hard for a conviction, Brian Wyler went free.

So far, the story looks almost like the story of Emmett Till, as I read it on Wikipedia; with Joshua from the Bellemare story being Emmett Till.

In the Bellemare story, the lawyer, in order to get Brian Wyler for something, remembers that some people who didn't like him, mentioned that he (Wyler) was in Italy, where he supposedly killed a sailor. So the lawyer asked FBI and Interpol for confirmation; and they confirmed that Brian Wyler had indeed killed an italian sailor. And for this, he was then sentenced to 5 years of prison.

This last part does not match the Emmett Till story; but it is mentioned that people tried to dig up dirt on Emmett Till's father, about him being in Italy and committing crimes there.

So it's possible that Bellemare based his story on the Emmett Till case, and fictionalized a few parts; but it is also possible that it's a completely different story. Bellemare's stories are supposedly authentic; except for the names that are changed.

Just thought I'd share this, since it's a thread for random news, topics, and opinions.
Last edited by phe_de on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

It's not surprising that "mainstream", "respectable" conservative publications like the Wall Street Journal have now come out in support of a literal fascist.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/brazilian- ... 1539039700" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Our entire political "establishment" is basically just fascist-lite. Don't assume that the "liberal" wing of it wouldn't throw themselves behind someone like Bolsonaro or Trump if he threatened their economic interests less than whoever his opponent would be.
OpiateOfTheMasses
Global Moderator

Post by OpiateOfTheMasses »

Anakin McFly wrote:It's ok, he has beer. He likes beer. Many people like beer. Do you like beer?
I like beer. I'm less keen on sexually assaulting people though. Even after a few beers.
You can't make everyone happy. You are not pizza.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/1 ... 85029?s=21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Man. I still think Sanders will win the nomination but these numbers are bad for him. I don't like him but the fact that Joe "Worse Than Hillary" Biden outpolls him almost three to one is just sad.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

ok so where did aels and cash go?
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

Aels posts on Facebook. Cash I worry about. I hope he's doing okay.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Trivia:

1) I was one of those annoying kids that was good at everything I tried (for example: I didn't start playing basketball until I was like 13 but in a couple years I caught up to the kids who'd been playing they're whole lives)....and for some reason this led me to believe I would make a good spy/cia/special ops agent of some sort. I had everything planned out.... would begin my career by joining the air Force right out of high school. Plus I had an older cousin I looked up to who was in the air force. Life is a funny thing. Even funnier, the cia apparently tried to fucking recruit my girlfriend a few years ago.

2) In my early 20s, I seriously thought about moving to Hollywood and becoming an actor lol. Almost went to an acting school in Paris. It was some kind of early midlife crisis. I felt emotionally stifled and was ready to jump into anything creative. And acting seemed perfect because I was becoming more and more interested in the movie-making process (which is why I initially joined IMDB), I knew I had some natural talent because when I was a little kid my cousins and I would play a game where we tried to make ourselves cry at will (they were freaked out that I could do it so easily), and even though I didn't particularly like the way I looked, I knew I had an interesting look/presence (people had suggested I try modeling and I history professor randomly asked me if I was an actor - which I took as a sign). I ended chickening out/become disillusioned when I realized how many fucked up people were desperately trying to "make it" in Hollywood....and I was just turned off by the desperation of the entire thing. Plus racism.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

do it
Hollywood needs better people there

although I likewise always dreamed of going to Hollywood (as a scriptwriter), but then got extremely disillusioned with Hollywood along the way.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

...what's this now about Ohio proposing the death penalty for abortions with no exceptions even in cases of rape, incest or the life of the mother?

I don't know how much of it is true or if it's been exaggerated, because it seems too sociopathically evil to make it such that if someone gets raped and will die if the pregnancy is carried to term, she can choose whether she wants to die from abortion complications (which would likely be slow and painful) or have the abortion first and then die from the death penalty (which should ideally be faster and more painless). But given that that's already the case in some parts of the world which also criminalise miscarriages, I guess some people are in fact that sociopathically evil. This can't even be explained by just wanting women to not have sex, because firstly most of those guys seem to really want to have lots of sex with lots of women and to do that would be counterproductive, and secondly there's no exception for rape.

(What I've never understood is men who are strongly against women having abortions who still insist on having sex with women, especially those they are not married to or in a relationship with; if they truly wanted to prevent any unwanted pregnancies that might lead to abortion, the most effective way to do so is surely to just stop having sex with women unless they are both willing to have a child, so why don't they do that?)

As others have pointed out, the 6 week window is also effectively an all-out ban. Pregnancy length is counted from the date of last menstruation, so in practice this could mean someone who has been pregnant only 2-4 weeks, which is far too soon to be picked up by a pregnancy test let alone to know if there may be future complications that might make an abortion medically necessary - or where many fatal birth defects are only noticeable after 20 weeks. So basically this would ensure that any woman who is unfortunate enough to encounter one of the many life-threatening pregnancy complications - which made death from pregnancy so common in the past - will be once more forced to die.

I understand that most if not all of the people behind these laws are cis men who never have to worry about themselves being in this situation, but at the very least - do they not have wives, sisters, daughters, mothers whom they care about? How are they honestly okay with the idea that the women they love may end up having to choose between death or death, out of no fault of their own?

(Another side note - rape/incest exclusions don't make sense if they're arguing on the basis of abortion being murder, because as I understand it rape victims are still charged with murder if they kill their rapist or anyone else. So that would suggest that they do recognize cases where the psychological harm done to the victim outweighs the value of the fetus' life, and the question then is why they can't extend that to other circumstances where similar harm would be done should the pregnancy be carried to term. Whereas if they argue instead on the basis of “personal responsibility", and hence victims of rape not being at fault and thus not needing to be punished by having a kid, then they're already denying that abortion is murder.)

EDIT: relevant https://medium.com/s/story/men-cause-10 ... 0e8288a7e5
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Irresponsible ejaculations
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

unpopular opinion but: good riddance to Tumblr, I hope it dies and the people there can find better platforms more suited to community building and which don't spam children (and me) with unsolicited porn.

and honestly I believe that LGBTQ youth are going to benefit the most from Tumblr dying, because that place is terrible and has made people associate 'safe space' with 'place full of people screaming at you and also TERFs hijacking the trans tags so their ranting ends up on the feed of all the kids who follow that tag'.

I got so much better after I left Tumblr and realised that Tumblr was the main reason I needed so much emotional support in the first place. probably 90% of the homophobia/transphobia I've encountered online was thanks to Tumblr.

also wtf: http://www.papermag.com/cops-raided-the ... 35850.html
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Yeah, but it was good for porn.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

No joke the porn was the only thing I ever used Tumblr for.

It just seems like banning the porn will only 1) Cut off a significant portion of their user base that aren't necessarily doing anything inappropriate (Like I certainly don't have a reason now to ever visit the site without it) and is 2) Sidestepping the real issue which seems to be properly policing the community and preventing things like anti-trans hate speech from spreading, if what Anakin said is any indication.

EDIT: Also its worth noting that this hurts the financial ability of some sex workers. Many of them used Tumblr to help promote their pornography (Whether its video, erotic artwork like hentai etc.) and Tumblr's actions here are just another pro-censorship move that reduces their ability to get income.

Bonus points for the ban coming on the "International Day to End Violence Against Sex Workers".
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

Yeah, most of the criticism I've seen has been about how this ban will harm sex workers. And that it's no accident/collateral damage...tumblr has apparently been looking for a reason to specifically ban sex workers.
Anakin McFly
Ultimate Poster

Post by Anakin McFly »

Bonus points for the ban coming on the "International Day to End Violence Against Sex Workers".
That's terrible. D:

I do think they'll find other platforms, partly because new ones emerge so quickly these days and now there's going to be a rush to fill that gap. The initial mass exodus from LiveJournal to Tumblr came so suddenly (not helped by how Russia bought over LJ around the same time) and that seems to be the norm these days.

My problem with Tumblr is that its infrastructure makes privacy impossible, and that's pretty important when it comes to porn. Whatever someone posts gets viewed by all of their followers in their news feeds, whether they want to see those things or not - perhaps they followed them because they liked some things they posted but not others, and there's no way to selectively follow certain posts. Its also why the whole concept of trigger warnings grew so huge on Tumblr; Tumblr *made* trigger warnings necessary, because people were being constantly faced with material they really, really did not want to see, porn or otherwise. And that all fed into such a hostile atmosphere and made it easy to be abused. I had a friend who broke up with her ex but they were still following each other on Tumblr, and then she started spamming lots of pics with that phobia material knowing her ex would see them.

I agree with this post, which suggested that the ban was partly in response to the porn bot apocalypse: https://purgethebots.tumblr.com/post/18 ... ecember-17

It was one of the factors that chased me away. When on Tumblr I liked to click to see who had followed me or liked/reblogged my posts, and for the most part it was great, but then more and more often when I clicked on their names I'd get a faceful of animated genitals in my face and other extremely explicit porn. It was extremely annoying and at times borderline traumatising because there are things I wish I could unsee but can't, like close-ups of strangers' anuses with things going into them. At other times I'd been checking out innocuous tags and again - more porn. (e.g. fetishistic pics of naked trans women with huge erections under the trans tag.) It was starting to render the site pretty much unusable for anything *but* porn.

Given Tumblr's userbase, I'm certain that many, many kids have likewise been exposed to that material. I do think that's a huge concern almost as bad as the child porn on there, which I also got accidentally exposed to once, just by clicking usernames. The thousands of reblogs on there was disturbing. So I believe - as they claim - that the purge was initially motivated by concern for children and other minors. Right now it is far, far too easy to send porn to children with just one click, and that shouldn't be the case.
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

So judging from this Louis CK is going to transform into Dennis Miller, only somehow even less funny.

https://twitter.com/jackallisonLOL/stat ... 4543072256" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Honestly. Wtf was that? That was all of Miller's, Gervais's, and Larry the Cable's Guy's worst stuff rolled into one. That was beyond painful. It didn't even make sense. If this is indicative of his future material he just needs to be put out of his misery already.