Travel = new movies

Gendo
Site Admin

Travel = new movies

Post by Gendo »

Because we don't have any great used DVD stores around here; whenever I travel somewhere I tend to get a bunch of new movies for my collection. Last week's trip to Atlanta was no exception:
  • 10 Cloverfield Lane - This has been on my wishlist for a long time.
  • Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - Don't really know anything about this other than I've heard of it, and RDJ.
  • Three Smart Girls - Never heard of it; wife wanted it.
  • Top Hat - Same as above.
  • Trumbo - Also been on my wish list for a long time; largely because of Cranston.
  • The Haunting (1963) - Been wanting to see this for a while; I've seen the remake.
  • The Man Without a Face - I remember liking this as a kid.
  • Around the World in 80 Days (1956) - A Best Picture winner; based off a book I haven't read but still know the story.
  • Pixar Short Films Collection Volume 1 - We've had Volume 2 for a while, so finally.
  • Dangerous Minds - I remember seeing a bunch of previews for this when it came out; been interested in seeing it for a long time.
  • Moscow on the Hudson - Another Robin Williams for my collection. Don't know much about it but have heard good things.
  • The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes (1969) - Kurt Russel NOT blowing stuff up! I think I've seen the remake.
  • Awake - Also wanted to see this from the previews.
  • The Emperor's New Groove - I've seen this, but don't really remember it.
  • M*A*S*H - We have the whole series; now finally the movie too. Some day I'll watch them all.
  • The Lobster - Heard good things; and preview looked good.
  • Thoroughly Modern Millie - Also a wife pick; never heard of it.
  • Before Sunset - Great timing, since I finally broke down and watched before Sunrise even though I didn't have this yet.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Re: Travel = new movies

Post by Raxivace »

Only seen a couple of these.

10 Cloverfield Lane is solid, as I said in the other thread.

Trumbo is okay, strong performance from Cranston, workman-like direction at best from Jay Roach, surprisingly bad impersonation of Edward G. Robinson from Michael Stuhlbarg who I otherwise love as an actor. Louis C.K. is good in the movie but given his recent controversy might be an issue for some.

Emperor's New Groove was a favorite of mine as a kid. Not sure how it holds up today.

MASH the movie is pretty good, haven't seen the TV series.

Before Sunset is great.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
maz89
Ultra Poster

Re: Travel = new movies

Post by maz89 »

I thought this thread would be about how one is often inspired to travel after watching a movie set in a specific location. The first movie that came into my mind was Before Sunset; I retraced Jesse and Celine's steps in Vienna last year (well, as much as I could) and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

And I see Before Sunset features on your list too.
"Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose"