Mario Maker

Place to discuss games of all types. tabletop games, video games, etc.
Gendo
Site Admin

Mario Maker

Post by Gendo »

Does anyone here play Mario Maker? I love it; though I don't play all that often anymore. I've made a few levels, but mostly I'm into just playing really cool levels I've found from watching YouTube videos, or following specific creators.

My favorites levels are puzzles levels, especially one-screen puzzles. After that, it's just stuff that uses the Mario mechanics in very creative non-Mario-like ways, like emulating other styles of games.

Also a big fan of fast-moving kaizo stuff; levels where you just keep moving the whole time and bouncing off of shells and such. I'm pretty good at it as a whole; but not good enough to do just any kaizo. I haven't managed to beat a super expert run yet.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Re: Mario Maker

Post by BruceSmith78 »

I was really into it when it came out, and I returned to it for a short time a couple months ago. Designing levels is fun, but I'm usually disappointed by my lack of creativity. If I remember how to do it, I'll share the links to my levels or however it works.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I thought about getting the 3DS version but decided against it. Kaizo level design has never seemed good to me, and the idea of a Mario game being that but with even less quality control just never seemed like a worthy investment IMHO.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

If you know your nintendo username, best way to share is just that. Here's my stuff: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintend ... oIkari1982" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

I've heard that the 3DS version is really lacking in the stuff that actually makes Mario Maker good.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Mario Maker 2 just got announced for the Switch.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

I just saw the ad. Looks awesome. They added 3D world stuff. Coming June 2019.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Just came here to post the same news. Guess I'm finally getting a Switch! So excited!
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Yeah the Switch has a pretty decent little library now, definitely worth picking up at this point if there's at least 4-5 Nintendo exclusives that you're interested in. I'm really looking forward to the new Fire Emblem myself and that Daemon x Machina game looks cool IMO.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

I'll at least pick up Mario Odyssey, Mario Maker, and Smash Ultimate. And Prime 4 whenever that actually happens. And whatever new Zelda game will come out some day.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Prime 4 is apparently going through some development troubles so that could be a while.

I gotta be honest though I didn't like Prime 1-3 that much.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Yeah they scrapped everything they had and are handing it over to Rare, so it definitely won't be soon. I'm big fan of Prime 1, and I liked Prime 3 ok.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

So new Mario Maker 2 stuff announced.

Most exciting thing for me is the fact that on/off switches can do more than just make blocks turn on and off. I can't even imagine the awesome creative stuff people will do with them.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

So this was a cool thing that happened yesterday:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/9kxn ... ver-beaten" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was a part of it; for almost 24 hours from Tuesday night until Wednesday night, my Wii U was playing this level on repeat. Needless to say, I didn't beat it. But it was finally beaten by someone last night.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Anyone else playing MM2? I have levels to share.
Eva Yojimbo
Ultra Poster

Post by Eva Yojimbo »

Obligatory:
"As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." -- Carl Jung
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

I'm playing it. I haven't gotten around to actually finishing a level yet, but I'll play yours.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

So you got codes for your levels, or how does this work?
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Yeah, right now codes are the only way. I'm sure eventually, hopefully soon, there will be a site or a part of the NSO app that lets you share levels with a link and bookmark them to play later. They had it in MM1; but not for 2 yet.

Anyway; my second and probably better level: MWJ-V8N-5CG. Fair warning though; I make super-expert level stuff; about 1% clear rate. So both of my levels are intended to be quite difficult... depending on what you compare them to. Much easier than a lot of other stuff out there; and for people who play super expert they will generally only take a handful of lives.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

Cool, I'll try it, but I was never even able to finish a 100 man expert run, so I didn't unlock super expert. On MM2 I've been sticking to normal mostly, and only tried my hand at expert once or twice, so I probably won't clear yours.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

I never beat a super expert in MM1; only beat expert once. I want to get good enough for super expert in MM2, but being able to beat very hard and very good levels by grinding them out for an hour isn't quite the same sort of skill I'd need to do well in super expert.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

I've died like 120 times and almost made it to the 1st check point. I'm no kaizo player, but that naked turtle jump feels janky as fuck. Following the coin indicator there is certain death. You have to all but completely halt your forward momentum, and maybe 80% of the time, if you time it just right, you go right through the turtle for some reason instead of bouncing off it. The other 20% you have a chance of regenerating enough forward momentum to make it to the on/off blocks.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Interestingly, I was aware of the unfortunate naked koopa jank; except my experience was always the opposite direction... it was only a small minority of the time that I ran into the issue of passing straight through the koopa, small enough that even though I knew it was jank I left it in because it seemed like a fun and cool trick most of the time.

This was also the experience of a streamer whom I watched play my level; the very first time he got there he passed through the koopa, but then never did again in multiple attempts after that. I couldn't ever figure out what exactly was the difference during the times that I passed through the koopa, but it seems that whatever movements come most naturally to you when hitting the koopa out of the shell line up with the unfortunate jank. I definitely wouldn't have left it in there if it felt like it was happening even half of the time for me in my testing.
BruceSmith78
Ultimate Poster

Post by BruceSmith78 »

I think the problem is I'm just bad at kaizo shit. I took a break and tried it again, and this time I had more luck. I realized you only phase through the turtle when it has just rebounded off the music blocks a split second sooner, so you have to get a better bounce of its shell. I still think the coin indicator should be over the left music block and not the right, though.

On another note, I still haven't got the hang of shell jumps, so I keep grabbing the beetle shell right before the check point, hurling it against the on/off switch, and hitting myself in the face with it.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Yeah I'm barely ok at shell jumps, which is why there's only one in the level, and once you make it once, you get the checkpoint. Apparently they're a bit harder in MM2 also.