Horror

Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Horror

Post by Cassius Clay »

I'm hearing good things about 'Hereditary', so I'm looking forward to that. The horror movie game is saturated with basic/unoriginal shit, but it's probably my favorite genre. I think the last horror movie I was impressed with was 'The Witch'. Anybody got any good recommendations?
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Re: Horror

Post by Derived Absurdity »

Leprechaun 5: In the Hood
Death Bed: The Bed That Eats
Paranormal Activity
Zombie Strippers
Sharknado 5: Global Swarming
The Bye Bye Man
Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I didn't care for it myself, but I know a lot of people that really liked Green Room, so that might be worth taking a look at. Good Patrick Stewart performance at any rate.

The It remake was pretty decent if you haven't seen that.

I had some issues with It Follows, but its another one worth taking a look at if you missed it.

I mostly liked Triangle (2009). The Spanish language film Timecrimes is in a similar vein, though there's not quite as much of a horror emphasis from what I remember of it.

Its more of a mystery/thriller, but I liked The Invitation.

The Babadook was probably my favorite recent horror movie overall.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Triangle is wonderful; I guess it counts as horror.

I liked Babadook and It Follows. Haven't seen many recently, though.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

I'm gonna try to watch Triangle when I get a chance, and I really like It Follows. The 'It' remake was a letdown...I watched it a couple days ago. I think I'm just too familiar with all the beats/rhythms of horror movies because I saw every single jump-scare coming a mile away. And I never felt any underlying sense of dread like I did with 'The Witch'...it was too reliant on jump-scares. A good horror movie should know how to scare the shit out of you without cheap scare tactics.

The other thing about 'It' that kinda put me off was how I got the sense that the kids were being sexualized and/or made to seem older than they were at times. Like the dudes look and sound like they're 13 yet they're making jokes about their dick sizes and talking about fucking each others moms...I mean, I know kids do talk like that, but it just seemed like it was crudeness for the sake of crudeness, rather than being "realistic". And the girl too...I had to look her up to verify this was a child because at times she seemed older than she was supposed to be(having her flirt with the pharmacist, the slut-shaming, etc). Again, I know is "realistic" but something seemed off about it. There was a show I watched as a kid called 'Degrassi' that was about young high schoolers...and it compelling because it dealt with a lot surprisingly heavy/realistic shit that kids even that young deal with(sex, pregnancy, racism, school shooters/gun violence, rape, etc)...but it never felt like that kids were acting older than they were(or were put in inappropriate situations).
Derived Absurdity
Ultimate Poster

Post by Derived Absurdity »

She wasn't flirting with the pharmacist so much as he was being a predatory creep and she was just being polite because she thought that was how she was supposed to act.
Cassius Clay
Ultimate Poster

Post by Cassius Clay »

No, it wasn't just playing along with the creep...she specifically flirted with him, to distract him, so the boys could steal the first aid stuff.

Edit: I just went back to watch the scene and maybe "flirting" isn't the right word. But she was definitely trying to distract him by complimenting his glasses and asking to try them on(which I already thought was weird), but then the pharmacist makes it really weird. And I think we're supposed to infer that she already knew the guy was a creep, which is why she chose to distract him in that specific manner.