Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: "You'll Never See it Coming"

Place to discuss games of all types. tabletop games, video games, etc.
Gendo
Site Admin

Re: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: "You'll Never See it Coming"

Post by Gendo »

So yeah, been playing a lot of Smash Ultimate. Mostly just World of Light. Recently completed it with 100%. Fun stuff.

Did a bit of classic mode; now just going through various challenges to unlock what I can.

Cloud might replace Link as my best character.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I finished up the Classic Mode runs with all of the current characters a few weeks ago myself. Pretty fun though I feel like some are way easier than others.

Like its kind of weird how some characters have to fight Master Hand and Crazy Hand at the end, while for others you only have to fight an easy boss like Rathalos.
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Also Cloud is cool in the game but its a real bummer how little FF7 content in actually in Smash Ultimate.

Like how the hell is One-Winged Angel not on the soundtrack?
"[Cinema] is a labyrinth with a treacherous resemblance to reality." - Andrew Sarris
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Sakurai did a breakdown of Hero. Looks pretty fun, it seems like he'll be launching sometime today.

Also some he talks about some Version 4.0 stuff at the end.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

So Hero is out now- I've beaten his Classic Mode and Spirit battles. He's pretty neat- it seems like playing as him revolves using his powerful magic menu, but its actually hard to use since the spells you get are random and against an even moderately aggressive opponent you have to read what you actually have, cycle to want you want pretty fast, and then actually use the attack you want correctly.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

-Banjo launches tonight
-Terry Bogard from Fatal Fury is DLC Fighter #4.
-More DLC is coming after they're done with Fighter's Pass
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Terry Bogard is out now. Sakurai also just did like a 45 minute direct where he nerded out over him.

Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

https://twitter.com/NintendoVS/status/1 ... 6747478016

Man this is real bittersweet to me. I'm glad to see Resident Evil content of some kind in Smash, but I was really hoping to see Jill or Chris or Leon as a playable fighter and to get a nice Spencer Mansion stage. A random spirit event out of nowhere basically squashes any chances of a playable fighter. [sad]
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

https://twitter.com/NintendoVS/status/1 ... 651%23pti5

Final DLC character is being revealed on 1/16 at 6 AM PT. With it being a 35 minute presentation, maybe they'll be released the same day?

I still have no idea who it could be. Right now there are rumors of it being Dante because of some special Devil May 3 Switch Edition thing also being revealed on the 16th but its hard to say anything definitive.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Lol its Byleth from Fire Emblem.

EDIT: Cuphead Mii costume is kind of cool at least. Also Altair from Assassin's Creed Mii costume seems random.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

I'm annoyed because Fire Emblem already has so many characters... 8 now; it's the third-most represented universe (after Pokemon and then Mario). Interestingly, neither Yoshi or Wario are counted as being part of the Mario franchise; they're each considered to be in their own universe. If they were part of Mario (which it seems like they should be), then Mario would be the largest with 11.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I'd argue DK as a Mario character too, though I'm less sure of Diddy and K. Rool. We'll also probably get another Pokemon in the new Pass, unfortunately.

Fire Emblem has been growing fairly popular over the years and Three Houses is its best selling game by a mile, so its not surprising to see Byleth here. I just wish if we were getting another FE character it was from literally any other game in the series, because Three Houses was easily my most disappointing game of last year and by far my least favorite FE.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Raxivace wrote:I'd argue DK as a Mario character too
I just had this conversation with a friend yesterday who said the same thing. I disagree... IF they would be considered part of the same universe, then you would have to call it the DK universe; with Mario just being one character in that universe who also has his own spinoff games. While Mario (technically Jump Man) was in the original Donkey Kong; DK was never in a Mario game. And I think it's clear that the Mario games were enough of their own thing that they shouldn't just be considered part of the DK universe.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

DK was in plenty of other Mario games though? Like Mario Kart, Mario Party, Mario vs. DK: March of the Minis etc.

Like if DK isn't a Mario character by that logic, then neither is Waluigi and good luck convincing anyone of that.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Now personally speaking I would erase Waluigi from history if I could, but still.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

Raxivace wrote:DK was in plenty of other Mario games though? Like Mario Kart, Mario Party, Mario vs. DK: March of the Minis etc.

Like if DK isn't a Mario character by that logic, then neither is Waluigi and good luck convincing anyone of that.
I guess I was thinking of Mario platforms as being actual Mario games; while things like Mario Kart (and Mario Tennis, Party, etc) as games more like Smash which are non-Mario games that have Mario as a character (along with non-Mario characters such as DK).

But fair point, if Mario Kart is as much a Mario game as Super Mario Brothers; then DK must be included. In which case it seems like all DK characters would have to be included as well. But it gets weird.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

An Arms character is coming to Smash in June. :/

Man what a dud of a way to start Fighter's Pass 2. At least people care about Byleth's game.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

https://www.sporcle.com/games/g/supersmashbros" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. It took me several tries over a few days initially; but now I can do this every time.

At least Arms makes sense... it's a new Nintendo game; and a fighting game at that.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

It just seems like Arms has had like zero staying power despite being so new.

Like people still get hardcore into like Splatoon I think, I've never heard of anyone being a huge Arms fan. Like logically I know there must be someone who is (And maybe that someone is Sakurai) but the whole franchise seems like a nonstarter.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

I played it once and enjoyed it; but didn't feel the need to buy it.

Have you played Octopath Traveller? It's on sale on the eShop for 50% right now; gonna get it based on recommendations.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

I have not played Octopath. Visually it looked like a cool update on the old 2D Final Fantasy games, but I never heard much praise for anything else about the game- that's not to say I heard bad things necessarily, I just didn't hear much praise.

I might still play it eventually- there are just a lot of freakin' Square-Enix games out there and outside of mainline Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts I tend not to play them when they're still new. Like it took me a longass time to finally get around to NieR, The World Ends With You etc., so if I do play Octopath myself it might not be for like five years or something crazy like that.
Raxivace
Ultimate Poster

Post by Raxivace »

Oh it looks like Arms is free for Switch Online subscribers for like two weeks? I guess I might as well try it a few times.
Gendo
Site Admin

Post by Gendo »

A friend of mine really loves it; says the story is one of the best aspects.

Also just bought the FFVIII remaster on the Switch sale. One of my all-time favorite games.

Free arms to try? Sounds worth checking out!